Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Adventures from the Street (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Punished a Blown 347 T-Bird... NA (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41971)

enkeivette 08-27-2012 12:01 PM

No its for people who had jobs when they built their motors, but now can't afford slick and a 12 bolt IRS upgrade.

Shaolin Crane 08-27-2012 12:07 PM

If you cant push it, then I guess we know who's car is faster ;)

enkeivette 08-27-2012 12:14 PM

You're just mad that I beat a blown ford stroker NA :P

Shaolin Crane 08-27-2012 01:10 PM

Nah, like I said. He was probably only putting down in the 370-390 range. 90% of ford engine combos arent put together right and if I had my choice the blue car would have an ls3 instead of its whimpy little 308

Vettezuki 08-27-2012 02:33 PM

I'm actually curious about the aero difference of a C3 to a 94 Cobra. I'm not so sure the C3 is better. It's Fing huge up front with some styling curves, not so much aero curves.

enkeivette, you'd never get anywhere near your gear limitation, you'd need well over 1000WHP to push through the air at that speed, but you *might* be able to crack 200 in fith on a hard pack salt flats (not a soft lake bed of course).

Ron, if you're building up your engine and have any intention to do flying mile type stuff, I'm under the ipmression ring gaps are critical for blown applications. Basically they have to be kept much looser so they can expand at the much harsher long WOT period, otherwise they can actually melt. That's what I remember from the later cobras. Actually might been the piston heads themselves that started binding in the motor. The down side of course is that you'll have a "loose" motor for more normal driving.

Ryridesmotox 08-27-2012 02:54 PM

enkei... how much power are you pushing?

Shaolin Crane 08-27-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 102366)
I'm actually curious about the aero difference of a C3 to a 94 Cobra. I'm not so sure the C3 is better. It's Fing huge up front with some styling curves, not so much aero curves.

enkeivette, you'd never get anywhere near your gear limitation, you'd need well over 1000WHP to push through the air at that speed, but you *might* be able to crack 200 in fith on a hard pack salt flats (not a soft lake bed of course).

Ron, if you're building up your engine and have any intention to do flying mile type stuff, I'm under the ipmression ring gaps are critical for blown applications. Basically they have to be kept much looser so they can expand at the much harsher long WOT period, otherwise they can actually melt. That's what I remember from the later cobras. Actually might been the piston heads themselves that started binding in the motor. The down side of course is that you'll have a "loose" motor for more normal driving.

FWIW a fox GT has a drag coefficient of .34 to a c5's .38 and a cobra has a .37
And a later model cobra has a completely different engine.

Vettezuki 08-27-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 102374)
FWIW a fox GT has a drag coefficient of .34 to a c5's .38 and a cobra has a .37
And a later model cobra has a completely different engine.

Thought so. No way a C5 is that low. And a C3 is terrible for real aero (which really only matters over 100mph or so, but starts to matter A LOT).

More charts and analysis. The C3 is not so good compared to modern vehicles.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...nd-tunnel.html

Shaolin Crane 08-27-2012 06:13 PM

That's a typo, it should have been .38, not .28, either way I was wrong, close, but wrong. Its been a while since I looked but I remembered mustang werent all that far off.
Mustangs are surprisingly aerodynamic

Vettezuki 08-27-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 102380)
That's a typo, it should have been .38, not .28, either way I was wrong, close, but wrong. Its been a while since I looked but I remembered mustang werent all that far off.
Mustangs are surprisingly aerodynamic

You had a zero in there too. There's a lot of difference between .28 and .38, and an order of magnitude between .028 and .38. But I'm mostly just breaking your balls.

Here's the lowest cd car in the world, the Paccar at 0.075.

Here's apparently the lowest commercial car, the 2010 Mercedes E-class at 0.24. Even better than a Prius at 0.25!