Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tickets and Accidents (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   My sad day. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31485)

Vettezuki 08-27-2011 09:37 PM

I'm sorry for the loss, but that's great no one got hurt. It's also a testament to the safety of modern cars.

Shaolin Crane 08-28-2011 01:54 AM

Seriously, i'd probably die if that happened to me in the mustang.

Damian 08-28-2011 11:22 AM

I was devastated, but at the same time I was just hoping everythig would work out in the end. That GTO was actually a pain in my ass with all of the problems I was having with it and the fact that it is a door ding magnet. No matter where I park, how I park, I always seem to park next to a descent looking car that can't open their doors without ramming it into mine first. Plus I had to rebuild the rear diff and fix the rear sagging coil springs again. I was going to fix all of that and then trade it in for a SUV for the wife. Now I don't have to fix it, so that saves me some cash.

When the 2nd CHP officer showed up, he thought my buddy and I were in the Eclipse together, he was shocked when we told he wasn't. My buddy finally went to the doctor just to make his mom happy and his doctor was blown away by what happened to the GTO and how he just walked into his office on his own power. The thing that I still don't understand is how none of the airbags deployed.

BADDASSC6 08-28-2011 01:25 PM

Thank God you're ok.

Redondo Jon 08-28-2011 07:25 PM

Airbags didn’t deploy?! Oh man… It doesn’t matter now but I’m planning a suspension replacement for mine & would have gladly given you my Pedders springs, providing that the new coil-overs work better. Oh well.

Vettezuki 08-28-2011 10:10 PM

Don't airbags in the steering wheel only deploy on frontal impact of a certain (relatively high) speed. Basically I'm not too surprised they didn't go off i you didn't impact something straight on.

Shaolin Crane 08-28-2011 10:34 PM

I hit a VW bug head on doing about 40mph in my dually and my air bags didnt deploy either.

Damian 08-28-2011 11:45 PM

My las car, the airbags deployed when I was going 45mph and a car pulled out of an apartment complex right in front of me.

Vettezuki 08-29-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 82067)
My las car, the airbags deployed when I was going 45mph and a car pulled out of an apartment complex right in front of me.

That would make sense to me. They're triggered by an accelerometer (measuring deacceleration). Basically if you're tumbling a round the airbag from the steering wheel wouldn't do anything for you anyways. It's really just to keep you in your seat and give you something with "give" to run into instead of the steering column.

Shaolin Crane 08-29-2011 12:41 AM

Then my dually must have been programmed to deploy the airbags for stuff that isnt puny haha. In all honest i didnt feel much, didnt even stop the truck.