Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Work, Paint, Detailing & Fabrication (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   I Murdered out my ride! (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36837)

Vettezuki 02-25-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 92940)
I've thought about doing my entire car before track days, seems like it would seal the paint and protect it some then just peel off on the next day

Doesn't 3M have that clear coat that's stupid tough? I vaguely remember a lot of more pro race cars use something like that as anything else just gets chewed to hell.

Shaolin Crane 02-25-2012 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 92995)
Doesn't 3M have that clear coat that's stupid tough? I vaguely remember a lot of more pro race cars use something like that as anything else just gets chewed to hell.

They do, but at $500 for a bumper application its much nicer to use the $5 can prior to the event.

Vettezuki 02-25-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 92997)
They do, but at $500 for a bumper application its much nicer to use the $5 can prior to the event.

I'mma guess'n you're not getting quite the same level of protection. :smack: But sure, at $5 if it does much of anything, and it'd at east protect from scratches, there's basically no reason not to.

Shaolin Crane 02-25-2012 03:29 AM

Each layer of plastdip goes on around 30mil thickness, they recommend 3 layers. Its also a plastic base, the same as the 3m. So it seems it would be similar protection for much cheaper.

Vettezuki 02-25-2012 03:45 AM

The range of plastics and polymers in the world is amazing, just like everything else. Characteristics of hardness without being brittle is where it gets awfully complex. One hint is that you CAN NOT just peel off the 3M coat. It's fully molecularly bonded. Of course it's also transparent so you can spray it over a paint job. The fact you CAN peel off the plastidip certainly means rocks and what not will . . . . penetrate and peel it off too. It's probably a cheap redneck solution for the hobby racer wanting to offer some protection to his paint job. It's not the same thing.

Shaolin Crane 02-25-2012 09:27 AM

Didnt say it was the same thing. Similar yes, but i have seen what the 3m clear bra looks like after a year and for the $$$ it costs i wouldnt do it. I figure a few layers od plastidip would do the same thing as blue painters tape. And last well enough for a single track day before it gets peeled off after its over.

xSpeedAddictX 03-02-2012 10:13 AM

Looks good! You def took a lot of care in this project, it reflects nicely in the finished product.

Chuck 03-02-2012 10:20 AM

Thank you I am very happy with the outcome.

jedhead 03-02-2012 04:18 PM

Looks great.

Bob

Chuck 03-03-2012 06:43 PM

Thanks Bob where you been? I ordered the specter intake on summit stage 1 and 2 for $250 with a $50 mail in rebate. Can't beat $200 for that intake.