Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   RX-Snake (Project Car) (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   RX-Snake: Project Management and General Issues (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1033)

Vettezuki 01-04-2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 12458)
Do I get a prize for naming her?

Sean said he'd give you a big hug.

Vettezuki 01-04-2009 08:49 PM

Street vs. Off road only

We will make a minimally streetable car.

For those who voted for a track car this mostly just means that we have to keep some basic electrics for indicators, and register as a "show" car. The main reason for choosing this direction is so that we can get some rolling promotion when going to some local events and we aren't building anything so insane as to require a true off road only focus.

big2bird 01-04-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12535)
We will make a minimally streetable car.

For those who voted for a track car this mostly just means that we have to keep some basic electrics for indicators, and register as a "show" car. The main reason for choosing this direction is so that we can get some rolling promotion when going to some local events and we aren't building anything so insane as to require a true off road only focus.

Then you need to find the list of requirements for it to be street legal. You may have to keep wipers, mirrors, lights, T/S's, Hazard flashers, collapsible steering column, air bags, inertia switches, fuel tank, and a shit pot more. Do your homework before you strip anything else.

Vettezuki 01-04-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 12537)
Then you need to find the list of requirements for it to be street legal. You may have to keep wipers, mirrors, lights, T/S's, Hazard flashers, collapsible steering column, air bags, inertia switches, fuel tank, and a shit pot more. Do your homework before you strip anything else.

Yep. I can always change my mind to the easier way. :smack: Just wanted to state this was the intention.

Leedom 01-04-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 12537)

Stop trying to cause problems Bird. :pot_stir:

enkeivette 01-05-2009 12:09 PM

I don't think many cops will look under your car for a stock gas tank or... inertia switches :confused: :sm_laughing:

I'd even ditch the wipers. You will obviously never be able to sell this car as street legal ever again, but you can get away with a lot with show car registration.

5050. The Legislature finds and declares that constructive leisure pursuits by California citizens is most important. This article is intended to encourage responsible participation in the hobby of collecting, preserving, restoring, and maintaining motor vehicles of historic and special interest, which hobby contributes to the enjoyment of the citizen and the preservation of California's automotive memorabilia.

5051. As used in this article, unless the context otherwise requires:

(a) “Collector” is the owner of one or more vehicles described in Section 5004 or of one or more special interest vehicles, as defined in this article, who collects, purchases, acquires, trades, or disposes of the vehicle, or parts thereof, for his or her own use, in order to preserve, restore, and maintain the vehicle for hobby or historical purposes.

(b) “Special interest vehicle” is a vehicle of an age that is unaltered from the manufacturer’s original specifications and, because of its significance, including, but not limited to, an out-of-production vehicle or a model of less than 2,000 sold in California in a model-year, is collected, preserved, restored, or maintained by a hobbyist as a leisure pursuit.

Not sure which if any of these it would go under. I could stop by my friends house and see what he did with his truck if necessary, but I hope AAA or the DMV would know more on this.

Vettezuki 01-05-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 12589)
I don't think many cops will look under your car for a stock gas tank or... inertia switches :confused: :sm_laughing:

I'd even ditch the wipers. You will obviously never be able to sell this car as street legal ever again, but you can get away with a lot with show car registration.

5050. The Legislature finds and declares that constructive leisure pursuits by California citizens is most important. This article is intended to encourage responsible participation in the hobby of collecting, preserving, restoring, and maintaining motor vehicles of historic and special interest, which hobby contributes to the enjoyment of the citizen and the preservation of California's automotive memorabilia.

5051. As used in this article, unless the context otherwise requires:

(a) “Collector” is the owner of one or more vehicles described in Section 5004 or of one or more special interest vehicles, as defined in this article, who collects, purchases, acquires, trades, or disposes of the vehicle, or parts thereof, for his or her own use, in order to preserve, restore, and maintain the vehicle for hobby or historical purposes.

(b) “Special interest vehicle” is a vehicle of an age that is unaltered from the manufacturer’s original specifications and, because of its significance, including, but not limited to, an out-of-production vehicle or a model of less than 2,000 sold in California in a model-year, is collected, preserved, restored, or maintained by a hobbyist as a leisure pursuit.

Not sure which if any of these it would go under. I could stop by my friends house and see what he did with his truck if necessary, but I hope AAA or the DMV would know more on this.

I will ask when I go to AAA after picking up the motor soon. My initial independent research has only found a class for "Custom Built Car" registration. This is not an easy process. It requires lots of documentation, a safety inspection by the CHP, and yes, a smog inspection by the BAR, based on some mysterious calculus determined by the year of the engine and chassis. In other words, lots of grey areas. However, this classification actually means the car is road legal, period. If the show car registration works out as you describe, sounds pretty easy in comparison and would be appropriate for our purposes.

Leedom 01-05-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12597)
I will ask when I go to AAA after picking up the motor soon. My initial independent research has only found a class for "Custom Built Car" registration. This is not an easy process. It requires lots of documentation, a safety inspection by the CHP, and yes, a smog inspection by the BAR, based on some mysterious calculus determined by the year of the engine and chassis. In other words, lots of grey areas. However, this classification actually means the car is road legal, period. If the show car registration works out as you describe, sounds pretty easy in comparison and would be appropriate for our purposes.

I am not sure how these special registration would work for our project but from what I understand with these rules is in order for you to pass smog in CA the engine would have to be from a car that year or newer. IE if the car is a '87 RX-7 then the motor would have to a '87 or newer motor and the smog rules would be applicable to the year of the motor.

Vettezuki 01-05-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 12602)
I am not sure how these special registration would work on what I understand with cars but in order for you to pass smog in CA the engine would have to be from a car that year or newer. IE if the car is a '87 RX-7 then the motor would have to a '87 or newer motor and the smog rules would be applicable to '87.

This isn't the case here. I know ALL about street legal engie swaps. In no sense is that what we're even eligible for.

There seem to be two of additional classes of registration
- Custom Built
Requires extensive documentation and inspections. A swap doesn't qualify in and of itself, but doing what we are could plausibly qualify. If you get this level of registration, it's actually a street car. Seems to be pretty tedious.

- Show Car
As suggested by enkei. Severely restricted on road use. Basically you need to be coming from or going to an event. Period. However, the requirements are much lower, including a complete smog waiver. If this is what's available, it's what I'll go for. If not, I'll "probably" go for the off-road only registration. I know what it's like to deal with the state. It's not sooo bad, but it is tedious.

94cobra69ss396 01-05-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 12602)
I am not sure how these special registration would work for our project but from what I understand with these rules is in order for you to pass smog in CA the engine would have to be from a car that year or newer. IE if the car is a '87 RX-7 then the motor would have to a '87 or newer motor and the smog rules would be applicable to the year of the motor.

You are correct. This is the Custom that Ben is talking about. This is the same that my brother had to do to his FJ40 to put the SBC in it. He had to have all the smog equipment for the year of the engine, not the chassis. If he had used the 1969 FJ instead of his 1978 this wouldn't have been an issue.

silvertermi04 01-06-2009 09:06 AM

Where are the pictures that u guys took on sunday when i was there.

Vettezuki 01-06-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvertermi04 (Post 12720)
Where are the pictures that u guys took on sunday when i was there.

They'll be up within today.

Vettezuki 01-07-2009 11:22 AM

A couple pics from Sunday removing the engine/trans. You can see all the pictures attached to the vehicle in the database: RX-Snake.

Vettezuki 01-07-2009 11:25 AM

Foam Block

Does anybody have or know where to get cheap, or rent a foam block of a SBF. Playing with my measuring tape and the block last night, I think this going to take quite a few in/outs to dial in correctly.

bgn8711 01-07-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12875)
Does anybody have or know where to get cheap, or rent a foam block of a SBF. Playing with my measuring tape and the block last night, I think this going to take quite a few in/outs to dial in correctly.

haha I'll bet it took you a lot of in/outs to "dial it in" :sm_laughing:. Dude I'm pissed where's the picture of me flipping off the shitty rotary motor??

Vettezuki 01-07-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgn8711 (Post 12898)
haha I'll bet it took you a lot of in/outs to "dial it in" :sm_laughing:. Dude I'm pissed where's the picture of me flipping off the shitty rotary motor??

Guess Adam didn't provide that to me. He's a grown up.

Death Cult Aaronmageddon 01-08-2009 02:58 AM

I like how in most of the pictures I'm one of the only ones working. Haha Good times.

silvertermi04 01-08-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death Cult Aaronmageddon (Post 12951)
I like how in most of the pictures I'm one of the only ones working. Haha Good times.

LIES ALL LIES LOL i was in there getting dirty. Check out sean being cold lol

By the way check out the comments on the pics.:bigthumbsup:

Vettezuki 01-08-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvertermi04 (Post 12974)
LIES ALL LIES LOL i was in there getting dirty. Check out sean being cold lol

By the way check out the comments on the pics.:bigthumbsup:

Everyone helped out quite a bit and all in all, it went pretty smoothly. My big mistake was not draining the fluids. For some dumb reason I thought it didn't have any oil in it. I've got a hell of mess on the driveway, but I got a pressure washer so it'll be all right. I've been working on it every night for a couple hours. It should be thoroughly stripped and fairly clean by Sunday, when Ron comes to pick it up for caging.

Vettezuki 01-09-2009 11:25 PM

Arrival Video

Here's a walk around video from the day the RX-7 arrived.

Vettezuki 01-11-2009 10:14 PM

Ron (a.k.a. 94cobra69ss396) picked up the car for caging today. I had some time to continue stripping and cleaning before he picked up, so here's the status:

94cobra69ss396 01-12-2009 08:45 AM

Ben, I started the cage yesterday after I picked up the car. I went straight over to my buddy Joes house and we bent up the main hoop. I posted some pictures up under the cage thread.

Cage Thread

Vettezuki 01-12-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 13293)
Ben, I started the cage yesterday after I picked up the car. I went straight over to my buddy Joes house and we bent up the main hoop. I posted some pictures up under the cage thread.

Cage Thread

I saw that. This project has some great momentum. Thank you and your buddy for all your hard work. :thumbs_up:

We'll make every effort to get a seat in there that will allow you 6'2"+ guys to drive. :drive:

94cobra69ss396 01-13-2009 10:25 PM

Main hoop is installed. See cage thread for pictures.

Cage Thread

Vettezuki 01-14-2009 07:16 PM

Registration Class

I was at the DMV for something else today and asked about the show car registration. The closest thing they have is historical vehicle registration and we don't qualify. Must be 25 years or older and of historical interest, blah blah blah. As I mentioned earlier the custom built car reg won't work because it requires complete smog according to the engine, as well as CHP inspection. A BLower 302 won't fly.

So, unless someone can find me a link to the exact registration info necessarry, we'll be going non-op track only. Don't have to decide exactly yet. The only difference is in the final step of stripping all the harness and all the lights, etc., which we don't have to do yet.

Vettezuki 01-14-2009 07:59 PM

Fabulous Fords Forever

Ok, not making any commitments here. I know I said there was no real pressure and I'd like to have the car done by July 4th, which seemed like a nice 6 month goal. Well, Fabulous Fords Forever is in April April 19th to be exact and while it doesn't have to be totally finished by then, maybe this is a good goal. Things are going pretty quickly so far and most decisions are falling naturally into place. What'cha all think?

The big presure here would be on Body and Paint, the rest of it I don't think there'd be all that much of a problem. enkeivette, I'm looking at you. How's school and work. Certainly we can make decisions that streamline the process and sidestep major time suckers, but is this even on the table for you as a possibility?

big2bird 01-14-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13594)
I was at the DMV for something else today and asked about the show car registration. The closest thing they have is historical vehicle registration and we don't qualify. Must be 25 years or older and of historical interest, blah blah blah. As I mentioned earlier the custom built car reg won't work because it requires complete smog according to the engine, as well as CHP inspection. A BLower 302 won't fly.

So, unless someone can find me a link to the exact registration info necessarry, we'll be going non-op track only. Don't have to decide exactly yet. The only difference is in the final step of stripping all the harness and all the lights, etc., which we don't have to do yet.

Ahem (Cough,cough). Told you so.:rolling:

big2bird 01-14-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13601)
Ok, not making any commitments here. I know I said there was no real pressure and I'd like to have the car done by July 4th, which seemed like a nice 6 month goal. Well, Fabulous Fords Forever is in April April 19th to be exact and while it doesn't have to be totally finished by then, maybe this is a good goal. Things are going pretty quickly so far and most decisions are falling naturally into place. What'cha all think?

The big presure here would be on Body and Paint, the rest of it I don't think there'd be all that much of a problem. enkeivette, I'm looking at you. How's school and work. Certainly we can make decisions that streamline the process and sidestep major time suckers, but is this even on the table for you as a possibility?

:judge::judge::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick:Honestly? ? So what, who cares?

Vettezuki 01-14-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 13603)
:judge::judge::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick:Honestly? ? So what, who cares?

You'll be the one wiring up the dash April 19th at Midnight. :smack:

94cobra69ss396 01-15-2009 10:31 PM

Rear bars are in.

Cage Thread

Vettezuki 01-16-2009 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 13737)
Rear bars are in.

Cage Thread

:drink:

Vettezuki 01-19-2009 03:02 PM

It's official. This will be strictly a track car. I will pull the full harness and lights when it comes back.

07gtpony 01-19-2009 08:56 PM

Who owns the trailer and do they rent it out????

94cobra69ss396 01-19-2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 07gtpony (Post 13930)
Who owns the trailer and do they rent it out????

It's mine and Throttle Crazy's and no we don't rent it out. Are you looking at moving a car as a one time move?

Vettezuki 02-05-2009 12:55 PM

LB Swap Meet Shopping List

Here's the things I'm looking to get.

HIGHEST PRIORITY
- Repair parts for 174 $$?
- Workable 4150 750cfm Holley Double Pumper, 4 corner idle set. < $75

MODERATE PRIORITY
- Scatter Shield for Top Loader <$200
- B&M Hurst Shifter for Top Loader <$125
- Alternator Bracket $$?
- Main Pulley $$?

LOWER PRIORITY
LT Headers <$200 (I think we'll have plenty of space with most LT headers because we will have stripped so much, I think . . . )

94cobra69ss396 02-05-2009 05:09 PM

You need to update the roll bar as completed.

Vettezuki 02-05-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 14785)
You need to update the roll bar as completed.

Put it in the Project Log at 4:54 PM. ;)

enkeivette 02-06-2009 12:49 AM

B-money, have you called these dudes? They be in LaHambrrra.

SUPERCHARGER USA

1120 S. CYPRESS ST.

UNIT C

LA HABRA, CA 90631

(714) 578-8200

Vettezuki 02-06-2009 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 14796)
B-money, have you called these dudes? They be in LaHambrrra.

SUPERCHARGER USA

1120 S. CYPRESS ST.

UNIT C

LA HABRA, CA 90631

(714) 578-8200

Yes. No Dice. They can only repair. They have no replacement parts, which is most likely where we're at.

joedls 02-07-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 14772)
Here's the things I'm looking to get.

HIGHEST PRIORITY
- Repair parts for 174 $$?
- Workable 4150 750cfm Holley Double Pumper, 4 corner idle set. < $75

MODERATE PRIORITY
- Scatter Shield for Top Loader <$200
- B&M Hurst Shifter for Top Loader <$125
- Alternator Bracket $$?
- Main Pulley $$?

LOWER PRIORITY
LT Headers <$200 (I think we'll have plenty of space with most LT headers because we will have stripped so much, I think . . . )

Not looking too promising that I'll be there. I hate wet weather. I got my fill of it when I lived in Seattle for 8 years.