Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Engines, Transimissions, Suspension, etc. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   the Buick Breakdown (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218)

SeanPlunk 04-07-2008 10:56 AM

What day is Tracer doing his thing? Is it open to the public?

Vettezuki 04-07-2008 12:39 PM

I understand it's not quite apples to apples, I just always thought more in terms of potential fuel flow to "potential" power (i.e., energy -> power). In other words, the power I'd expect 40+lb injectors to support is perhaps rather higher than what I'd expect his engine to be actually making. I suppose this is where my NA perspective is screwing me up.

In Brian's near term case with the 42 pounders, new turbo etc., what kind of work (i.e., HP) is the engine doing and how much fuel does it consume to do it?

enkeivette 04-14-2008 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 1395)
I understand it's not quite apples to apples, I just always thought more in terms of potential fuel flow to "potential" power (i.e., energy -> power). In other words, the power I'd expect 40+lb injectors to support is perhaps rather higher than what I'd expect his engine to be actually making. I suppose this is where my NA perspective is screwing me up.

In Brian's near term case with the 42 pounders, new turbo etc., what kind of work (i.e., HP) is the engine doing and how much fuel does it consume to do it?

I'm sure there are many complex reasons why Brians car uses bigger fuel injectors than your LS, higher cylinder pressure being one of them. Your engine at WOT is around 14.5:1 while his I'm guessing was tuned around 12:1. But I would attribute it mainly to his engine not being nearly as efficient as yours.

bgn8711 04-15-2008 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 1649)
I'm sure there are many complex reasons why Brians car uses bigger fuel injectors than your LS, higher cylinder pressure being one of them. Your engine at WOT is around 14.5:1 while his I'm guessing was tuned around 12:1. But I would attribute it mainly to his engine not being nearly as efficient as yours.

depends what your definition of efficient is being able to make as much power with 119 less cubic inches doesn't seem all that inefficient but I know that's not what were talking about I just want to be a dick :D...not that I'm making quite what he is at this point in time. Anyway update the heads are on, front covers on, new rod and main bearings, motor mounts are on, oil pan gasket is on, rear main seal is in. water pump is on. trying to mount the motor saturday night and button it down sunday! Anyway, that's where I'm at I'll let you know more as it comes.

Brian

gunfish 04-15-2008 07:59 AM

Any knuckle busters yet? It doesn't count until you get some blood on it!

Vettezuki 04-15-2008 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgn8711 (Post 1658)
depends what your definition of efficient is being able to make as much power with 119 less cubic inches doesn't seem all that inefficient but I know that's not what were talking about I just want to be a dick :D . . .

How about having to burn 15% more fuel (chemical energy) to make the same power? That seems less effecient. :huh: I enjoy being a dick too :D

bgn8711 04-15-2008 11:03 AM

I've got the normal wear and tear scratches and bruises, Neal railed his hand pretty good and took off a big hunk of skin on his hand, luckily he had a hello Kitty bandaid to stop the bleeding :D....no I'm not kidding. I need to go to autozone today speaking of which for what I hope will be the last round of parts needed. Idk about the track weekend after next I still need a tune on the thing and I am burnt out on the car thing at the moment got up at 6 on sunday to leave for SD got home after 9 and will most likely be doing that both days this upcoming weekend. It has been damn interesting and educational though so a worthy experience to loose sleep over and my car should run as well as it ever has.

B

TRacer 04-15-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 1661)
How about having to burn 15% more fuel (chemical energy) to make the same power? That seems less effecient. :huh: I enjoy being a dick too :D

Yep, but it was doggone efficient technology 20 years ago. What were the L98 V8 motors making then? 220-230 HP? With TPI? :)

SexyLxy 04-15-2008 02:07 PM

Bri,

I'm glad that you have learned alot so your car...but you better be runnin damn good by the time you "actually" get it to the track to shut your fellow egg-er-on-ers up.

Haha! :D

Sincerely,
Your lovely sister-in-law

PS - I can't wait to see what you are running next time. :) You have put a lot of hard work into that engine.

Vettezuki 04-16-2008 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRacer (Post 1672)
Yep, but it was doggone efficient technology 20 years ago. What were the L98 V8 motors making then? 220-230 HP? With TPI? :)

No question there. An 87' L98 was 240HP/345TQ.