Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Auto (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Best Inexpensive, Safe, Reliable, Smallish 4x4 (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43999)

C5Natie 11-11-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 106507)
It's for my 5' tall, 100 pound Japanese wife who presently drives the Hello Kitty themed Miata. She also enjoys speeding tickets (this might help that at least!) and hitting things. . .

Though the idea of her driving a diesel truck is amusing. Maybe if I paint it pink and put some sunflower hub caps on.

Also, if this project pans out, might get into making some biodiesel for shits and giggles since I have easy access to lots of fry oil for free, and that would drop incremental fuel costs by about 75%. (And my mom has a Cummins diesel truck and at some point would probably get a diesel tractor.)

You dont live near Glendora do you? Saw an asian girl getting out of a Hello Kitty decked out miata at the gym. Lol. I think it was blue but she looked a little taller then 5ft.

C5Natie 11-11-2012 03:28 PM

She will fit better in this...lol

Vettezuki 11-11-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C5Natie (Post 106663)
You dont live near Glendora do you? Saw an asian girl getting out of a Hello Kitty decked out miata at the gym. Lol. I think it was blue but she looked a little taller then 5ft.

Ha! Maybe her Doppelgänger. Anyway, figuring out what we're going to do with this side issue. The Miata is still marginally valuable and all things considered, for her, the commute, and the road a Nissan Juke is looking like a good option. Another possibility, since if I do this I don't have to keep the one buck truck, is to sell it and get something else, like the S10 Blazer, which she could drive on bad weather days.

Vettezuki 11-12-2012 11:56 PM

Zeroing in on a 2003 S10 Blazer. Prefer 4d 4x4 if possible. Budget around $6k lets say. The reason for the 2003 is that there is a Baytech CNG conversion that is CARB legal. Me mum and I work fairly close to one another and we can carpool when weather is good (most of the time, reducing commute costs to minor) and my wife can keep her Hello Kitty Miata. When weather is bad, she can take over the Blazer, I can take my Wrangler and me mum her Cummins Diesel.

enkeivette 11-14-2012 12:14 AM

You need to convince your wife to get an STI or an Evo. Its AWD so she wont get stuck, and powerful enough to get her unstuck out of the mud, or to get her away from thugs if they try to chase her down.

So ya, get an STI or an Evo, unless you dont care about your wifes safety.

Vettezuki 11-14-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 106805)
You need to convince your wife to get an STI or an Evo. Its AWD so she wont get stuck, and powerful enough to get her unstuck out of the mud, or to get her away from thugs if they try to chase her down.

So ya, get an STI or an Evo, unless you dont care about your wifes safety.

My wife holds the world record for most speeding tickets in Hyndai Accent. She approaches the gas pedal as something more like a switch. At least she's not as bad as her mother who learned to drive from a Tokyo cab driver . . you really are only ever stopped, accelerating or decelerating and as long as there is a milometer of separation you're good . . . at speed.

Probably she'll keep the Miata for dry weather and I'm thinking to get the Blazer, possibly with a CNG conversion and carpool with my mom most of the time, Then when it's nasty, the wife takes the Blazer and we take the Wrangler or Cummins.

enkeivette 11-14-2012 01:48 AM

You have a cummins now?

Vettezuki 11-14-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 106807)
You have a cummins now?

My folks do. The property I'm talking about is combining my wife and I with my folks. Hence the carpooling idea. We'll be living at the same address and commuting into the OC relatively close to each other.

The tough bit for me is I'd be fairly radically shifting my lifestyle schedule towards earlier morning. Ick. But, change itself is good sometimes.

Shaolin Crane 11-14-2012 09:07 AM

I've been seeing a ton of CNG vehicles on CL lately. Fucking cheap too.

Vettezuki 11-14-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 106819)
I've been seeing a ton of CNG vehicles on CL lately. Fucking cheap too.

It's almost entirely Civics, Crown Vics and commercial it seems.