Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Work, Paint, Detailing & Fabrication (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Painting (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789)

Vettezuki 12-25-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 11500)
. . .thinner compatible with alkaloids.

You mean like a battery? :smack: Got it. Thanx for the clarification.

kwplot34 12-25-2008 05:47 PM

Thanks Bird,i knew there was a good explanation for it (read it somewhere once) but for the life of me,i could not remember :bang:

enkeivette 12-25-2008 05:55 PM

Here's the reasoning behind the sealer (reduced epoxy primer) that I got from the autobody forums.

The primer will go on "clumpy" and the sealer will go on nice and even. Better to shoot over. So I guess shooting over a sealer will yield a more glass like appearance in the end.

Guess I've got some more sanding to do. :(

kwplot34 12-25-2008 06:05 PM

I thought you were supposed to put the sealer on first then primer :confused:
or maybe it was sealer,primer,sealer shit,i better do some more research because thats where i'm at now with my re-paint.

enkeivette 12-25-2008 10:04 PM

Not what I've been told, but it's not going to hurt anything.

I've been told, epoxy, the surfacer, then glaze & sand, then spot prime & sand, then seal...

I skipped the first step. I didn't see the need for an epoxy base, seeing as how I went to bare SMC & the surfacer that I used is a polyester surfacer.

big2bird 12-26-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 11523)

I've been told, epoxy, the surfacer, then glaze & sand, then spot prime & sand, then seal...

I skipped the first step. I didn't see the need for an epoxy base, seeing as how I went to bare SMC & the surfacer that I used is a polyester surfacer.

The largest amount of product in what you are doing is elbow grease.:smack:

kwplot34 12-26-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 11523)

Ok i think you and I are on the same wave length here but have a different terminology for the products.
Except for the GLAZE & Sand,what are you doing here :huh: i have not herd of the Glaze,can you explain what it is :o
Remember i am a NOOB at this :judge:

big2bird 12-27-2008 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwplot34 (Post 11598)
Ok i think you and I are on the same wave length here but have a different terminology for the products.
Except for the GLAZE & Sand,what are you doing here :huh: i have not herd of the Glaze,can you explain what it is :o
Remember i am a NOOB at this :judge:

Spot glaze is a tube of putty that requires no hardner(Aerobic). It is only good for pinholes and such. Zero strength.

kwplot34 12-27-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 11626)
Spot glaze is a tube of putty that requires no hardner(Aerobic). It is only good for pinholes and such. Zero strength.

OK,i have that, tube called Icing,but it does require a hardener.

kameleongt 12-29-2008 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwplot34 (Post 11629)
OK,i have that, tube called Icing,but it does require a hardener.

im guessing he is taling about a spot putty like this