Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Domestic (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1988 Mustang GT "Max" Project freebox (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28546)

Shaolin Crane 08-03-2013 01:02 AM

Machine work is finished. Crank came in but to my surprise the box wasn't packed at all, and there's some rust on the #1 journal. So the crank pretty much rounded out the box it came in, sent it off to be checked for straightness and to see if the journal needs to be machined.

94cobra69ss396 08-03-2013 07:22 AM

Hopefully it's straight and only needs to be polished.

Shaolin Crane 08-03-2013 08:47 AM

That's what I'm hoping for, my rings and bearings come in mid next week, then I can drop it off at the balancer.

Shaolin Crane 08-04-2013 06:19 PM

Difficult to take a picture with my phone, here's the rust.

The wonderful box

Other than the idiot that shipped it, it's a very well made crank.

Shaolin Crane 08-20-2013 04:18 PM

Been gathering shit, should be soon.
So I had some timing issue the last time we went to the dyno, turns out the aftercooler was completely plugged. Tried everything I could to clear it out, then finally used hydrocloric acid and that caused it to start to sweat on the charge side. I was able to trade some parts and some a/c work for a brand new one. String of good deals have befallen me and I am almost there, just need my rings to come in and everything else goes off the the balancer.
Old cooler

Charge side of old cooler, notice the older fin design

New cooler

Updated stacks

Charge fins

Blasted and ceramic painted to match the engine bay

Flywheel $100. Weights come off to make it neutral

ATI Balancer $50 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/at.../model/mustang

Shaolin Crane 08-21-2013 03:15 PM

Main studs came in today. Dropped the pistons and rings off at the balancer and forgot the rods, so I'll take them down to tomorrow. Should be done next week.

Shaolin Crane 08-23-2013 12:44 AM

Does anyone read this? Anyway...
Dropped off the rods today, should be done by next thursday.
Also grabbed my ARP goodies, flywheel bolts, cam bolt and balancer bolt. This thing is gonna make big power this time, might as well stop cutting corners.

Vettezuki 08-23-2013 04:06 AM

:popcorn:

94cobra69ss396 08-23-2013 06:44 AM

I just look at the pictures.

This build should do a lot better than the last one. Are you going to run the cam Joey made for you? I haven't called him yet but I think my issue might have been the intake gasket and not the cam. Have you spoken to him? If you do talk to him can you just have him check the lobes and if everythings good then pick it back up from him? I'll just hold onto it and maybe one day put it back in either the Cobra or maybe put it in the Explorer.

Are you going to take the car back to Steve once you finish it and retune it?

Shaolin Crane 08-23-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 120180)
I just look at the pictures.

This build should do a lot better than the last one. Are you going to run the cam Joey made for you? I haven't called him yet but I think my issue might have been the intake gasket and not the cam. Have you spoken to him? If you do talk to him can you just have him check the lobes and if everythings good then pick it back up from him? I'll just hold onto it and maybe one day put it back in either the Cobra or maybe put it in the Explorer.

Are you going to take the car back to Steve once you finish it and retune it?

Yes, I'm going to run the same cam. When I dropped it off I asked him to check the lobes, haven't talked to him since I dropped it off. I'll pick it up and maybe I'll install it to have the short block read to go and just give you mine, since they're identical and all. You could probably sell that can for $150 or more, it's really a good ccan .

I will take it back to Steve, the car had way too much compression and a faulty cooler plus I have some fuel upgrades so it'll need a good final tune.