Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Work, Paint, Detailing & Fabrication (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Painting (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789)

keithc 01-07-2009 08:48 PM

Any pics yet??

enkeivette 01-07-2009 11:25 PM

Well I didn't paint the car today, here's what happened. Got it in the booth, masked it all off, mixed up the sealer and sprayed it on. After the second coat I could still see sanding scratches and even some waves (after days and days of guide coat/ block sanding) I was so bummed. Almost decided to take the car home for another coat of surfacer. But, I showed the head painter at this shop, and he recommended that I just block wet sand it with 600 grit.

So, I did. I sprayed a third coat of sealer, then I spent 5 hours in the booth wetsanding (thank God my friend came to help) and I removed all of the larger sanding scratches and a lot (if not all) of the waves.

Here's my question, can I spray color right over the wetsanded (600 grit) epoxy sealer? Or will I see scratches? I was told that I would not see 320 grit scratches through the sealer and... I did! So, will 600 grit scratches show through the paint?!

I'd rather shoot right over the sanded sealer. Before 600 sanding, there was a lot of orange peel. Now there's no peel, obviously. PPG recommends that you mix 4:2:1, IMO you can use a lot more reducer than that. At the end of the night just doing burn through touch ups, I mixed it 2:1:1 and it went on much smoother. I would like to try even more reducer.

enkeivette 01-07-2009 11:27 PM

I go back in tomorrow morning btw. After some touch up sanding and cleaning, it's color time. :afro:

big_G 01-08-2009 06:04 AM

320 grit will show thru the sealer. We wet-sand the primer surfacer with either 500 or 600 grit prior to sealer or base-coat. Very important on metallics, not so much on solid single stage top-coats.

enkeivette 01-08-2009 07:46 PM

I wish I had talked to you before hand. But it may have turned out for the best, had I not seen the sanding scratches I would never have wet sanded with 600 grit and gotten rid of a bunch of little waves.

So should I post pics or let you guys wonder what it looks like till I see yall this Saturday?

Vettezuki 01-08-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 13085)
I wish I had talked to you before hand. But it may have turned out for the best, had I not seen the sanding scratches I would never have wet sanded with 600 grit and gotten rid of a bunch of little waves.

So should I post pics or let you guys wonder what it looks like till I see yall this Saturday?

Just show up with it Saturday, and post pics after. That way we can think about it till then. :)

Leedom 01-08-2009 08:53 PM

At least give us all a taste.