Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Auto (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Thinking of selling the Z06 - talk me out of it! (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33384)

Sonic03SVT 10-31-2011 03:31 PM

Thinking of selling the Z06 - talk me out of it!

Like the title says, thinking of selling the Z06. Dont get me wrong, absolutely love this car, just something about it, not sure. I feel like its going to be hard to make it "mine". Any C5 cosmetic mods are ugly, and if i have a Z06 thats real quick around a track so what, they all are. Guess Id rather have a car that I made very capable, than one that just is. Maybe id change my mind once i start putting some go-fast goodies on it, but I dont want to head down that road if im going to change my mind.

Been feeling the itch to do an SN95 mustang road race car, coilovers/Tubular K member, and an 03 cobra IRS, 393 windsor, T56. something like that. Even if it was a bit slower than the Z ( and it would be) it would be much, much faster around a track than anyone expects, and I feel like maybe i could prove something to folks about the old oft-maligned fox/fox4 chassis. ( have past experience with a similar car to the one id build, just less motor and a torque arm/panhard bar rear)

However, it would be a much worse DD, and whatever i build, has to serve that role, at least for a time, (probably a couple years, till im done with school. )

So why should I keep the Z?( or why shouldnt I?) Lets hear it. :drink:

Vettezuki 10-31-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT (Post 85893)
Like the title says, thinking of selling the Z06. Dont get me wrong, absolutely love this car, just something about it, not sure. I feel like its going to be hard to make it "mine". Any C5 cosmetic mods are ugly, and if i have a Z06 thats real quick around a track so what, they all are. Guess Id rather have a car that I made very capable, than one that just is. Maybe id change my mind once i start putting some go-fast goodies on it, but I dont want to head down that road if im going to change my mind.

Been feeling the itch to do an SN95 mustang road race car, coilovers/Tubular K member, and an 03 cobra IRS, 393 windsor, T56. something like that. Even if it was a bit slower than the Z ( and it would be) it would be much, much faster around a track than anyone expects, and I feel like maybe i could prove something to folks about the old oft-maligned fox/fox4 chassis. ( have past experience with a similar car to the one id build, just less motor and a torque arm/panhard bar rear)

However, it would be a much worse DD, and whatever i build, has to serve that role, at least for a time, (probably a couple years, till im done with school. )

Based on what you say, to me a purely rational choice would be:

Keep Z for now, use as a DD (cuz it works for that), don't spend a bunch extra, just leave and enjoy as stock, save money (or pay off hi cost debt) and down the road when you have some flexibility and perhaps extra play money re-investigate the situation. There's not really any downside to this choice I don't think, no real liability.

Another option is sell the Z (I guess you could clear what you paid for it since you bought it recently), and use the money to buy a) a decent simple dd, and b) a project car you could work on as time and money allowed.

Sonic03SVT 10-31-2011 04:06 PM

should add id clear what i owe on it by a sizable margin. I like putting most of a car purchase down, and do have a decent amount saved up to play with.

Leedom 10-31-2011 04:46 PM

I say sell it. Buy some really cheap dd and a project car. I bought my Mustang because that was what I wanted, not because it is the fastest thing out there. Drive what you love or it is just pointless.

Vettezuki 10-31-2011 05:39 PM

It's a big part of why I went with the C3 with swap and goodies. Almost nobody has any idea how fast I really am since I look pretty stock, though a few imports found out thinking they were picking on a slow domestic. :smack:

Throw in the excitement of 60s suspension geometry (even thought it's all freshened up and hardened) and it's a hoot to drive.

About the only bone stock car (within reason for me) I'd be interested in as an all arounder would be a Turbo Porsche. Other than that, I'd rather build a Factory Five Kit or a whole host of other more interesting things.

Shaolin Crane 10-31-2011 05:56 PM

Step one, pm me about details of trading my fox for the Z

Step two, trade me Z for my 87

Step three, enjoy slaughtering people on the road course, streets and canyons with a 500hp n/a engine(c5z included), all while having your kidneys raped by the ride, sweating your ass off, and reaking of fuel every time you get out of it

Sounds like a deal to me. Honestly as much as i'd love to trade i wouldnt. If you want a fox4 car keep the z and buy a capable roller off corner carvers, people sell built sn cars there for CHEAP and you'll still have plenty of work to do making it "yours"

mdpalmer 10-31-2011 06:17 PM

c5 zo6's are badass dude. can't think of a better all around sports car for the money, esp considering the performance (and the huge v8 balls hehe). z06s and zr1s were the inspiration for building my ls-rx7.

check out this vid. this guy is a great driver, he got the car down to 2700 lbs, 385 whp (only engine mod is exhaust/headers!). I talked to him at the last autocross I went to. He's been working on the suspension setup for a year or two now, sounds like he's got it dialed. He gets fastest time of day at many of the events he goes to. I watched him very closely when I was working the autocross picking up cones, you would not believe how fast he was carrying the car thru the slaloms, looks almost impossible :)

BTW: I forgot to ask him, but the chassis itself looks like a FRC not a z06. He pretty much modded everything else that was bolted to the car I guess but it's still a very impressive car.

EDIT: as far as cosmetic stuff, I would leave it alone. I saw a red one a few days ago, it had some suspension mods, nice wheels and tires. and an aftermarket exhaust. I chatted with the guy at a stoplight. Car looked awesome.

SeanPlunk 10-31-2011 10:07 PM

Keep the Z. Making a Mustang handle like a Vette seems like an expensive, tedious road to go down.

Sonic03SVT 10-31-2011 10:32 PM

Suppose you're right. Maybe I just need to go ahead and start a mod party, get the car to be a bit more what I want it to be. I was trying to hold off until I didnt need to DD it anymore, but I can live with a dual purpose car, I have before :huh:

C5Natie 10-31-2011 10:42 PM

Blasphemy in this thread i say, blasphemy!

SeanPlunk 10-31-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT (Post 85917)
Suppose you're right. Maybe I just need to go ahead and start a mod party, get the car to be a bit more what I want it to be. I was trying to hold off until I didnt need to DD it anymore, but I can live with a dual purpose car, I have before :huh:

Yeah. The Mustang you describe will be expensive, probably still heavier, won't handle as well and will get half the gas mileage.

Puts heads and cam on the Z06 and call it a day. It'll still be a great DD that gets good mileage, but will be a beast.

Shaolin Crane 10-31-2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 85914)
Keep the Z. Making a Mustang handle like a Vette seems like an expensive, tedious road to go down.

Ive been down that road, and it is.

Shaolin Crane 10-31-2011 11:37 PM

Here you go Aaron, this is what im talking about. This car is a HELL of a deal
http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...ad.php?t=45427
Quote:

For sale is a 1991 Mustang Coupe roller. It was built to compete in NASA American Iron. It has the Maximum Motorsports Maximum Grip Box. It's a solid CA body. The car was involved in an incident at Road America. Repairs are still needed to the trunk area of the car.

Chassis
Roll Cage DOM 1.75 x .134 tubing
Maximum Motorsports full length sub-frame connectors
Maximum Motorsports Strut Tower Brace

Suspension
Maximum Motorsports K-Member w/ brace
Maximum Motorsports Front Control Arms (+95 w/ forward offset)
Maximum Motorsports Torque-Arm
Maximum Motorsports Panhard Bar
Maximum Motorsports Coil-Over Kit (front & rear)
Bilstein race valved struts & shocks
H&R springs
Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber Plates
Maximum Motorsports RR Rear Lower Control Arms
Maximum Motorsports Adjustable Rear Sway Bar
Maximum Motorsports Aluminum Steering Rack Bushings
Maximum Motorsports Solid Steering Shaft
Maximum Motorsports Bumpsteer Kit
Maximum Motorsports Front Swaybar Relocation Kit
Maximum Motorsports Front Swaybar Bushings
Maximum Motorsports Front Swaybar Endlinks
Cobra front & rear brakes

Drivetrain
8.8 rear end w/ Auburn LSD & 3.73 gears.

Interior
Nascar bars on drivers side of cage
Two Corbeau Forza Seats (black cloth, one wide, one normal)
Wink 5 panel mirror
Brake Bias Control
Longacre switch panel allowing expansion
Window net

Car is located in Stevens Point, WI 54481
$4,900 OBO
$4,400 OBO
$3,900 OBO
FINAL PRICE REDUCTION: $3,500 OBO

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Please email for quickest response.

Email: toms93cobra (at) yahoo.com

Vettezuki 11-01-2011 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT (Post 85917)

Moderate Heads and Cam change those engines a LOT from a performance POV, but they're still perfectly friendly. My H&C (with SHIT exhaust and probably a much nastier power eating IRS) is 391WHP, passes smog and drives fine.*

*They were and mine is however, prone to warm start idle hunting problems. However, there are apparently easy solutions, from drilling a small hole in the throttle plate, to more current tuning techniques.

Kozak 11-01-2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C5Natie (Post 85918)
Blasphemy in this thread i say, blasphemy!

this:smack:

Sonic03SVT 11-01-2011 03:44 PM

I seem to have an affliction. I get these perfectly excellent cars, own them for a year or two, and then get bored and start suffering from a little of the "grass is greener" deal. In this case, its basically redoing a car i already did once, just with more motor and an IRS. I really did like that mustang. :thumbs_up:

Though you folks are of course right. Ill hang onto the Z for now, just time to do a few things to it. have some fun brake stuff on the way already. :D

Shaolin Crane 11-01-2011 04:19 PM

I recall having a similar thread about a year ago....

BADDASSC6 11-01-2011 09:55 PM

I can't believe this thread. I can see making a switch for a solid axle stand to hit the strip, but not road racing. AI cars agent that fast. AIX cars get going, but they become huge money for a top competitor. Keep the vette focus on suspension before motor and you will be just dint.

Sonic03SVT 11-01-2011 10:30 PM

To be clear, I never functioned under the assumption that the mustang would be as fast as the vette, it wouldnt, and i knew that all along.

Vettezuki 11-01-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT (Post 86010)
To be clear, I never functioned under the assumption that the mustang would be as fast as the vette, it wouldnt, and i knew that all along.

This will not pass Carlos's logic circuit.

Shaolin Crane 11-01-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT (Post 86010)

Not without taking a huge cut to comfort, driveability, your wallet, etc

What it seems you want is a mild mannered car that is fun around the streets, making a mustang competitive in anything takes tens of thousands of dollars and turns it into strictly a race car. Why not buy one of the rollers from corner-carvers and build a fun street car? You would get thousands in parts for pennies on the dollar.

Sonic03SVT 11-01-2011 11:35 PM

Im well aware of what a mustang takes to be competitive, ive done it once before, my only previous track focused car was, in fact, an SN95 car. That car was, by all right, much too rough to drive on the street regularly, but was a hoot nonetheless.

The roller you found is very intriguing though, but i think ill have to hold out for an SN car, something about that body style that ive always liked.

Shaolin Crane 11-02-2011 12:40 AM

There are others, especially sn cars, let me looksie

Shaolin Crane 11-02-2011 12:45 AM

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...t=1995+mustang

1995 Mustang Cobra
Rio Red / Black&Tan interior
~182,000 original miles

Modifications
Suspension:
Front:
Steeda "Race" springs (850-1050lbs)
Koni SA struts )
M.M. Caster / Camber plates
"Cobra" Swaybar with Energy Suspension urethane bushings.

Rear:
Steeda 5-link "clone" (w/long PHB) (ESP legal)
450lbs circle track springs
Koni SA shocks

Drivetrain:
GT 5 speed Transmission
(Original "Cobra" 5spd will come with the car/needs to be rebuilt)
Pro-5.0 shifter
King Cobra Clutch
3:55 Gears repacked factory limited slip, with 2 extra friction discs (ESP Legal)

Wheels:
M179 ’95 Cobra R wheels

Chassis:
Ford "TSB" sub-frame connectors (ESP legal)

Engine:
Stock ~182,000 mile internals, no smoke, no odd noises (synthetic since 59,000mi; made 240.3RWHP and 297.8RWTQ at 130,000 mark with only K&N and H-pipe)
Factory Cobra GT-40 heads
Factory Cobra Intake
Densecharger in-fender cold air kit w/K&N filter.
A/C delete pulley (A/C and its components have been removed, but can go with car.)
Timing set at 14 degrees BTDC

Exhaust:
BBK long tube headers.
BBK h-pipe pipe.
Flomaster 40 series mufflers into dumps (needed to clear the 5-link)

Interior:
Rear seat delete (original to go with car)
Pep Boy "racing" seats / black in color (Note: These are ok for auto-crossing, but would recommend "real" seats for street and open track.)
Original seat's included with sale.

Exterior:
Cobra "R" hood - I have 2 Cobra "R" hoods, but both need work. (1 needs work on the hinge mounts, the other needs significant fiberglass work.)
No front fog lights
Otherwise the exterior is stock including the cobra rear wing

Condition:

Exterior:
Again, this car did get in an accident or two. The front has a black primer cobra front valance, a blue cobra "R" hood, and a fender that does not match the rest of the car. Driver's door needs a new door pin. (This car has been driven, and auto-crossed since the accident some 4 years ago and has no issues reliability issues.) There is a dent over the rear fender on driver's side and a door ding or two.

Interior:
The air bags did deploy, but I have them replaced but *NOT* hooked up. Pep Boy "racing" seats(black) are on factory Ford sliders. Harness bar is installed and (2) Schrothe 4pt cam-lock harnesses (red)will come with the car. All of the stereo has been removed.

Items that will also come with car (some noted above):
Set of (4) 1995 Cobra rims with tires
Set of (4) 1996 Cobra rims with tires
Steeda 1 3/8" tubular front sway bar
Aluminum battery relocation box
All A/C components that have been removed
Rear deck stereo with amps
original 1995 Cobra "R" 351W block (with hole in one of the piston walls) and rotating assembly
Koni double adj. struts (need to be rebuilt)
Mustang 5.0L bellhousing. Ford part number RF-F4ZR-6394-CA

Basically, I have a *LOT* of stuff and anything that is Mustang related you can have when you come and pick it up.

Asking $4000 OBO

The car is located in Salisbury, MD. The car is drivable (needs a new battery) but i'm not sure on the current condition of the tires, though they are all still holding air. Not currently tagged. Oh, and the MD title is clear and has no salvage notes tied to it. I'm sure I have left things out, so feel free to ask anything you need to know.

Pictures to be posted this weekend as I get it out and clean it up some.

enkeivette 11-03-2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT (Post 85893)

You want some motivation? You're thinking of selling your Z06 for a Mustang. Say that to yourself outloud.

A monster pullied Cobra might be a different story. But shit.

If you want to make this thing your own, buy some SMC adhesive and bond in some fender flares and get some deep dish wheels. Then no one else will look like you.

Vettezuki 11-03-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 86093)
You want some motivation? You're thinking of selling your Z06 for a Mustang. Say that to yourself outloud. . .

:laugh: :smack: