Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   SoCal Car Shows, Meets, Cruises, Racing (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Porsche driver's clinic Sat, Feb 18 $130, El Toro Airfield (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35702)

mdpalmer 01-16-2012 08:56 PM

Porsche driver's clinic Sat, Feb 18 $130, El Toro Airfield

Here's an email I sent to my "car guy" list:

Hey guys.

-The Porsche Club of America (PCA) Orange Coast Region (OCR) group is having a car control clinic at the El Toro airfield near Irvine (GREAT, GREAT venue for something like this!!!)
-I know a lot of you guys have seen my vids, but for those that haven’t here’s an out of car clip from last Sept 2011 to give you an overview of the auto-x layout (they change it up every time with cones)

In car clip from the Dec event:

-Sat, Feb 18. $130
-They provide an instructor and what I assume is a hotdog/hamburger lunch. Last auto-x they had pretty tasty dogs (/w grilled onions if you got there early lol) and potato salad+drink.
-According to their site, NO HELMET IS REQUIRED. So don’t use that as an excuse why you can’t go :)
-For any newbies, and even hopeless drivers with some experience like me, this event should really help with learning your car in a low stress (both you and the car) environment.
-From what I heard, they are supposed to set up a skid pad with water on it to practice oversteer corrections and what not.
-Afternoon session includes a “mini” auto cross course to “practice” your newly learned skills (whatever that means).
-I have done two of the PCA OCR autocross events and am very impressed with their organization and overall execution, they put on a great show. I assume this one will be as good as before.
-Even if you have a total shitbox car (geo metro, Honda civic with no mods, minivan, etc.), you should consider coming out. Especially those of you with a project car that never seems to get finished, you should come out and “get it out of your system” with said shitbox :)
-Same goes for those of you with new rides. Time to break that thing in :)

Event link:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/index....ABB521ED424F61

Create an account to sign up.

Driver’s list:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/index....ABB521ED424F61

Please pass this along to your fellow drivers/car nuts, I really think this will be a good event and folks should at least be aware of it. See you at El Toro!

-mike

mustangray 01-16-2012 10:32 PM

Looks like fun !!

kdracer73 01-16-2012 11:16 PM

tempted......very tempted !

georgetek 01-17-2012 12:06 AM

Wait so anyone can sign up? It doesn't matter what kind of car you have?

George

Redondo Jon 01-17-2012 12:47 AM

kdracer73, georgetek… What do you think? There’s plenty of lead-time on this one. It wouldn’t take much / any prodding for me to say yes to this. Besides, Mike is one of the coolest people I know.

[edit] I’ve e-mailed these guys with a question, so depending upon their answer I’m going to this.

kdracer73 01-17-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redondo Jon (Post 90902)
kdracer73, georgetek… What do you think? There’s plenty of lead-time on this one. It wouldn’t take much / any prodding for me to say yes to this. Besides, Mike is one of the coolest people I know.

I have to justify the loss of a days pay for a Saturday event. And already have to take the 28th off for a wedding.....

blackax 01-17-2012 08:43 AM

I really want to do this....I need to check a few things out but i should be able to go.

georgetek 01-17-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redondo Jon (Post 90902)

[edit] I’ve e-mailed these guys with a question, so depending upon their answer I’m going to this.

Sounds great to me. Adam and my buddy Bryce have both been really wanting to something like this so I'm sure they would be in for this also.

George

mdpalmer 01-17-2012 07:09 PM

Yes yes yes!!!! You guys are all welcome and have badass cars to boot! I know for me, 1/2 the fun is seeing the other machines, and as much as I like Porsches, it's kinda boring when everyone has one there lol. Don't get me wrong, just look at the driver's list as the event draws closer... you'll see all kinds of cars.

Would be great to have you out there. I think we all would learn a lot and have a great time. The point of the event is to practice "screwing around with your car" in a controlled environment with an instructor to point you in the right direction. Since it's winter time, air should be cooler... and this place is close to sea level too so everyone's car should be running with good power!

You don't need crazy brake or tire upgrades or anything really, just bring you, the car, some water, sunscreen, a hat, and you're good! Auto-x the next day will require a helmet though.

And if you're up to it, there is an autocross the very next day at the same place!!! I know of one guy on here who is gonna do that... now I'm tempted to do the same :) Maybe get a hotel in the irvine area on Sat night. What do you guys think?

Really, it's soooooooooooo much fun. Nothing to run into either. Well, except a corner worker or a cone. Either one will buff right out :D

EDIT: I should add that they have events at that venue (El Toro) practically monthly, so if you miss it no biggie. There will be plenty more!! At least for this year, from what I gather they have some kind of contract for 2012. I think DE (driver's education) are once a year and autocross runs for the remainder. Poke around the PCA OCR site, should explain it all.

Redondo Jon 01-17-2012 07:53 PM

Well I’m signed-up, registered, and have paid. The way I look at: If learn something I don’t already know, it’s worth it. (It’ll be worth it ‘cause I’ve got a lot to learn) :) They’re going to run this thing rain or shine by the way. Can’t wait!

blackax 01-18-2012 01:38 PM

Ok just signed up. I'm excited and can't wait.

kdracer73 01-18-2012 04:02 PM

Damn the bills, food and a Valentines day present for Frankie ! I'm signing up tonight when I get home:drink:

georgetek 01-18-2012 06:56 PM

I'm registered. When do we have to do the vehicle inspection by?

George

Redondo Jon 01-18-2012 08:26 PM

That’s a good question. I’m just going to print out their Tech form, fill in the stuff that’s applicable, and bring it with me. I think they’ll want to scrutinize the car and then fill out the rest of the form. I’m also bringing my 8x10 Easy-up so we can get out of the sun / rain. Actually, I’m kind of crossing my fingers for rain.

kdracer73 01-19-2012 07:05 AM

mdPalmer, does this apply????
According to their site:
The Orange Coast Region has established an optional program for Drivers to get their cars ‘Pre-Teched’ prior to driving events. We strongly encourage all drivers to have their cars checked out, ‘Pre-Teched’, prior to DE/Track events. These events may be out of town at tracks and ‘Pre-Tech’ could avoid a mechanical failure on the road hundreds of miles away from home or at the event. Additionally, every car must pass a Technical Inspection prior to Registration so getting your car ‘Pre-Teched’ prior to the event should avoid any Technical Inspection issues at the event that could potentially prevent driving your car. You may also get your car ‘Pre-Teched’ for Autocross events if preferred.

Cars can be ‘Pre-Teched’ anytime after their last event but not more than thirty days prior to an event. We recommend getting your car ‘Pre-Teched’ at one of the stations at http://pcaocr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63 that support our driving events.

Please remember that these businesses are providing this service at no-cost, as a courtesy to OCR club members. CONTACT YOUR STATION OF CHOICE AND BOOK AN APPOINTMENT IN ADVANCE. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST WEEK BEFORE EVENT. MOST BUSINESSES ARE BUSY THE WEEK BEFORE AN EVENT PREPARING CUSTOMER CARS.

Bring a copy of the Autocross, D.E. & Time Trial Registration/Tech Form available on our website to the ‘Pre-Tech’ Inspection Station. They will perform the specified inspections and stamp and sign the form. Then bring the completed form to Registration at the event; Technical Inspection at the event will not be required for valid ‘Pre-Tech’ forms.

IT IS THE DRIVER’S RESPONSIBILITY TO ASSURE THAT ALL LOOSE ITEMS ARE REMOVED FROM THE CAR PRIOR TO PARTICIPATING IN THE EVENT.
CAOCR Pre-Tech Stations
by admin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:00 pm

PCA Orange Coast Region Driving Series
Pre-Tech Stations

Series Sponsor
Walter’s Automotive Group
Emory Pearson
3210 Adams Street
Riverside, CA 92504
888-656-5003
http://www.waltersporsche.com

Event Sponsors
Autowerkes
Bruce Powers
7452Talbert Avenue
Huntington Beach, CA 92648
(714) 842 -2277
http://www.autowerkes.com

Cape Auto Repair
James Buck
27762 Forbes Road,Suite 1r,
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
(949) 582-3131
capeautorepair@yahoo.com
http://local.yahoo.com/info-21051002-ca ... una-niguel
Cape Auto Repair

GMG-Global Motorsport Group
John Ghaemmaghami - Service Manager
3210 S. Shannon St.
Santa Ana, CA 92707
Telephone # 714-432-1582
http://www.gmgracing.com

Hergesheimer MotorSports
Laura Hergesheimer
20612 Cañada Rd.
Lake Forest, CA 92630
949 458-7223
http://www.hergesheimer.com

Stuttgart Performance (993 or Newer Porsches Only)
Michael Schalke - Service Manager
1275 Logan Avenue
Costa Mesa, Ca. 92626
714-498-2275
http://www.stuttgartperformance.com

Vision Motorsports
Dwayne Dement
22681 Granite Way
Laguna Hills, Ca 92653
949-770-2888
http://www.visionmotorsports.com
admin
Site Admin

blackax 01-19-2012 10:30 AM

I might even install an oil cooler before the event!

mdpalmer 01-19-2012 08:23 PM

info

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgetek (Post 91017)
I'm registered. When do we have to do the vehicle inspection by?

George

You can do it any time up to the day of. Aside from going over my car personally right before an event, I have never ever "pre-teched" my car.. just drove up the day of, they check it out, sign you off, done :)

I think the only things they are really looking for is that your car is not leaking fluids, your body work is together (bumpers are bolted up, etc.), seats are bolted down, seat belts are good, wheels are bolted up and don't wobble (bad bearings, loose lugs), and that your battery is SECURE!!!! For most guys with OEM type setups, no problem, but guys like me with engine swaps and what not, it can be a little more work. No big deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redondo Jon (Post 91020)
That’s a good question. I’m just going to print out their Tech form, fill in the stuff that’s applicable, and bring it with me. I think they’ll want to scrutinize the car and then fill out the rest of the form. I’m also bringing my 8x10 Easy-up so we can get out of the sun / rain. Actually, I’m kind of crossing my fingers for rain.

Yeah, just print it up and sign off stuff. That's what I've done. Bring it with you when you tech the car. Typically you drive into the venue early A.M. and park, and when you get all the crap out of your car you drive to the tech line and they check you out.

But rain???? Noooooo!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdracer73 (Post 91042)
mdPalmer, does this apply????
According to their site:

Yep, it should apply. If you pre-tech your car, and everything is OK... you can show up later than everyone else and still run :) Only problem is if you show up "late" you will have a pit area far away from the "center stage" where all the announcements are made. It is very important to be there early though, as they make announcements and "walk the track" for autocross to get everyone familiar with the layout and rules.

I am very tempted to pre-tech mine actually just to get it done. But, if you show up early, when you park leave some room around you (esp. side to side) for the other guys parking next to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackax (Post 91054)
I might even install an oil cooler before the event!

lol no way!!! you will not need one for this event. This is NOT an open track day at Willow Springs or Buttonwillow. IOW, not stressful on your car! LS6 in ur whip right? If you're running synthetic oil, you're probably good up to 280-300*F intermittent, that's what I've read on the C5 Z06 guys at least :) I have no oil coolers on my ls1 and my oil temps never go past 240 on a hot day autocrossing. I hit 260 a few weeks ago driving in canyons, but car likes to be beaten I guess :smack:

-------------------------

So glad to see you guys signed up, can't wait!!!!

blackax 01-19-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdpalmer (Post 91082)

lol no way!!! you will not need one for this event. This is NOT an open track day at Willow Springs or Buttonwillow. IOW, not stressful on your car! LS6 in ur whip right? If you're running synthetic oil, you're probably good up to 280-300*F intermittent, that's what I've read on the C5 Z06 guys at least :) I have no oil coolers on my ls1 and my oil temps never go past 240 on a hot day autocrossing. I hit 260 a few weeks ago driving in canyons, but car likes to be beaten I guess :smack:

-------------------------

So glad to see you guys signed up, can't wait!!!!

Its a blowen ls2, I can get up to 270 on the cruises we go on. I don't like my oil sitting at 280 that's why i've been planing it for a wile i just haven't done it. I also need to flush my breaks again.

georgetek 01-19-2012 10:13 PM

Ok good to know. How early should we get there? Question my rear tires are fairly worn out, should I use those or get a new set prior to this event?

George

kdracer73 01-19-2012 10:39 PM

I work next door to Vision Racing, so I will have them tech me ahead of time, but I will be there early to park together.

kdracer73 01-20-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdracer73 (Post 91091)
I work next door to Vision Racing, so I will have them tech me ahead of time, but I will be there early to park together.

BAMM !!!! DONE !!!

Redondo Jon 01-20-2012 07:34 PM

What!? Already? Man, I gotta’ get moving.

mdpalmer 01-21-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackax (Post 91083)
Its a blowen ls2, I can get up to 270 on the cruises we go on. I don't like my oil sitting at 280 that's why i've been planing it for a wile i just haven't done it. I also need to flush my breaks again.

Damn... I hear you on high oil temps. I wouldn't worry about it for this event. Flushing brake fluid is not a bad idea but even if it's "old", I think you'll be fine, you probably know the limits of the brakes by now anyway :) You will most likely NOT boil your fluid on this day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgetek (Post 91088)
Ok good to know. How early should we get there? Question my rear tires are fairly worn out, should I use those or get a new set prior to this event?

George

I wouldn't worry about new tires. In fact, if I was you, I would make it a point to destroy them so you can get some new ones :) Many people argue that you learn more about car control with crappy tires, in that you learn to slide the car around. Make sure you let your instructor know you have bald tires before you start your day heehee :) As far as when to get there... I would say as soon as the gates open, esp. if you have not pre-teched your car. It's kind of a mad dash to tech your car, esp. if there are a lot of people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdracer73 (Post 91116)
BAMM !!!! DONE !!!

Oh yeah!! I love it. Man you're ready to go! :D

BTW, if you bring an EZ UP or shade structure to bring something to tie it down. When the wind kicks up it blows stuff everywhere!

silverscmustang 01-21-2012 06:48 PM

mike wanna go to one of those places and get pre-teched one of these upcoming weekends? Itd be nice to not have to worry about that the morning of.

mdpalmer 01-21-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverscmustang (Post 91177)
mike wanna go to one of those places and get pre-teched one of these upcoming weekends? Itd be nice to not have to worry about that the morning of.

we should, just get it out of the way. PM/IM/text/email me where you think is a good place close by, I haven't even looked at the list yet lulz :smack:

EDIT: so it looks like they are in orange county, duh (OCR=orange county region). I'm down for a pre-tech man. LMK when you want to go.

Redondo Jon 01-21-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverscmustang (Post 91177)

Umm… me too. Let me know when you decide on a place & time because I’d like to do this as well.

Shaolin Crane 01-21-2012 10:22 PM

I want to go :(

Who wants to fund the completion of my car?

silverscmustang 01-24-2012 09:31 AM

ok Mike and Jon lol wanna just head down to Autowerkes one of these weekends? Maybe this sunday?

Redondo Jon 01-24-2012 05:57 PM

I’m okay with any time you guys want to go. Are you going to call them or should I? It doesn’t look like they have any parking to speak of & there’s three of us. Hmm…

georgetek 01-24-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverscmustang (Post 91296)
ok Mike and Jon lol wanna just head down to Autowerkes one of these weekends? Maybe this sunday?

Can I go too?

George

Redondo Jon 01-24-2012 08:01 PM

I don’t see why not. Daniel, Mike & I live almost a stones-throw away from one another so we’ll drive down together & meet you there after the details are finial. Sound good?
Event Sponsors:
Autowerkes: Bruce Powers
7452 Talbert Avenue, Huntington Beach, CA 92648 (714) 842 -2277

georgetek 01-24-2012 08:49 PM

Sounds good! That's right down the street from my house.

George

kdracer73 01-25-2012 07:48 AM

Might be out...lost a days pay to the flu yesterday:barf::barf::barf:...don't get paid for sick days. And work has been a little slow already.....

Chuck 01-25-2012 08:35 AM

I am very tempted but work is so unpredictable... I may wait till it gets closer.

mdpalmer 01-29-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdracer73 (Post 91343)
Might be out...lost a days pay to the flu yesterday:barf::barf::barf:...don't get paid for sick days. And work has been a little slow already.....

^ That sucks, everyone has been getting sick at my work.... kind of scary, one guy was out for almost two weeks!!!!! Yikes :( No worries man, there are many more of these events. Hope you get better.

Hey Jon, Daniel, George, I was tied up the last week, so next weekend, or any time after that, would be better for me... Feb 4-5. There will be a couple of us...

Me
Daniel
Jon
George
my gf (yellow rx7)

I will call the shop tomorrow to see what the deal is, I think they would be stoked to see 5 very different cars show up :)

:thumbs_up:

Hope you other guys consider going, I'm so excited!!!!! Daniel, you should show these guys the new tires you got :D

Redondo Jon 01-30-2012 08:25 AM

Any day or time you set-up is okay with me Mike. Thanks for doing this.

mdpalmer 01-30-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redondo Jon (Post 91333)
I don’t see why not. Daniel, Mike & I live almost a stones-throw away from one another so we’ll drive down together & meet you there after the details are finial. Sound good?
Event Sponsors:
Autowerkes: Bruce Powers
7452 Talbert Avenue, Huntington Beach, CA 92648 (714) 842 -2277

Crap, I just got off the phone with Bruce. He's not open on weekends.. there is no way I can make it during the week. He said to give a heads up the day before you guys come in if you want to do it.

Redondo Jon 01-30-2012 03:33 PM

Okay, well… Thanks for finding out. I’ll go during the week then.

silverscmustang 01-31-2012 09:25 AM

ya I cant go during the week either. any of the other sponsors open on weekends?

SoCalC55 02-01-2012 06:05 PM

My car has been in the shop, but barring any further issues or schedule conflicts I'm going to try and make this.

I am also talking to one of my friends who just bought a 2012 5.0 Stang about going as well.