Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Adventures from the Street (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Punished a Blown 347 T-Bird... NA (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41971)

enkeivette 08-25-2012 11:52 PM

Punished a Blown 347 T-Bird... NA

So I was driving the Vette today, and this guy in a 90s T-Bird is trying to race me. But Im ignoring him, thinking he's not worth my time. But I pull up next to him at a light, and I hear this strange gear whine, like mine but a different pitch. My first thought was that my blower gears are taking a shit, then the guy in the T-Bird gets my attention points at his hood and tells me that he's got a stroker 347 with a centrifugal blower... so the whine was coming from his car.

I decide to give him a run after hearing that, so I pull on him hard at first, jump out in front, then after a second it felt like something was wrong with my engine... like I broke something or the AFR was way rich. So I was pulling on him still, but not by a lot.

Gave him a thumbs up, pulled into the parking lot and opened the hood. My intercooler pipe blew off!! Hahaha. So that's why I slowed down and it started runnig super rich. I pulled on him naturally aspirated with a messed up AFR. Suck it bitch.

Vettezuki 08-26-2012 12:34 AM

One day, when you get that thing to run properly for more than 10 minutes at a time, it's going to be fucking awesome!

enkeivette 08-26-2012 05:11 AM

Hahaha, but that's my point. At its worst it's still awesome. Sooo suck on that sonnn. Yes, this posting was sponsored by vodka.

94cobra69ss396 08-26-2012 08:26 AM

One day when I have the trans fixed in the Chevelle and they re-open Fontana you'll have to come out so I can punish your Vette.

Shaolin Crane 08-26-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 102318)
One day when I have the trans fixed in the Chevelle and they re-open Fontana you'll have to come out so I can punish your Vette.

Word

And unless that dude REALLY knows what he was doing it was probably only making 375ish to the wheels, which would make sense why you pulled on him n/a

enkeivette 08-26-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 102318)

Let's just go from a roll next time we're at a motorgen meet. There's no ques you know how to and can launch better. So lets just take driver skill out of the equation and see whose car is faster.

Vettezuki 08-26-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 102324)
Let's just go from a roll next time we're at a motorgen meet. There's no ques you know how to and can launch better. So lets just take driver skill out of the equation and see whose car is faster.

How about top speed flying mile. Something not as dangerous to the public and and objectively instrumented AND isolates car max speed. Cobra vs. Vette. The Chevelle is probably RPM, not drag limited.

94cobra69ss396 08-27-2012 08:07 AM

I won't run you on public roads but I like Ben's idea about running a standing mile. He's right about the Chevelle. The top speed if I run it to 6500 would be about 140. I currently run 133 in the quarter mile. We'll have to look at running the standing mile when I have the Cobra done. Right now it only has the short block in it and I'm going to be building a new engine so it's going to down a few months at the least. I have to keep it smog legal so there is no way the Cobra can come close to making the power your Vette does. That will give you a big advantage in a mile plus with your Vette having a better drag coefficient frontal area you should be able to MPH much higher than the Cobra. I might have a chance of beating you in a quater mile though. Kind of like I did Carlos. If we had been running a full mile Carlos would have killed me.

enkeivette 08-27-2012 10:02 AM

Im gear limited to 270, suck it.

Shaolin Crane 08-27-2012 11:54 AM

Or how about running at the track like men are supposed to, roll racing is for fags.

enkeivette 08-27-2012 12:01 PM

No its for people who had jobs when they built their motors, but now can't afford slick and a 12 bolt IRS upgrade.

Shaolin Crane 08-27-2012 12:07 PM

If you cant push it, then I guess we know who's car is faster ;)

enkeivette 08-27-2012 12:14 PM

You're just mad that I beat a blown ford stroker NA :P

Shaolin Crane 08-27-2012 01:10 PM

Nah, like I said. He was probably only putting down in the 370-390 range. 90% of ford engine combos arent put together right and if I had my choice the blue car would have an ls3 instead of its whimpy little 308

Vettezuki 08-27-2012 02:33 PM

I'm actually curious about the aero difference of a C3 to a 94 Cobra. I'm not so sure the C3 is better. It's Fing huge up front with some styling curves, not so much aero curves.

enkeivette, you'd never get anywhere near your gear limitation, you'd need well over 1000WHP to push through the air at that speed, but you *might* be able to crack 200 in fith on a hard pack salt flats (not a soft lake bed of course).

Ron, if you're building up your engine and have any intention to do flying mile type stuff, I'm under the ipmression ring gaps are critical for blown applications. Basically they have to be kept much looser so they can expand at the much harsher long WOT period, otherwise they can actually melt. That's what I remember from the later cobras. Actually might been the piston heads themselves that started binding in the motor. The down side of course is that you'll have a "loose" motor for more normal driving.

Ryridesmotox 08-27-2012 02:54 PM

enkei... how much power are you pushing?

Shaolin Crane 08-27-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 102366)
I'm actually curious about the aero difference of a C3 to a 94 Cobra. I'm not so sure the C3 is better. It's Fing huge up front with some styling curves, not so much aero curves.

enkeivette, you'd never get anywhere near your gear limitation, you'd need well over 1000WHP to push through the air at that speed, but you *might* be able to crack 200 in fith on a hard pack salt flats (not a soft lake bed of course).

Ron, if you're building up your engine and have any intention to do flying mile type stuff, I'm under the ipmression ring gaps are critical for blown applications. Basically they have to be kept much looser so they can expand at the much harsher long WOT period, otherwise they can actually melt. That's what I remember from the later cobras. Actually might been the piston heads themselves that started binding in the motor. The down side of course is that you'll have a "loose" motor for more normal driving.

FWIW a fox GT has a drag coefficient of .34 to a c5's .38 and a cobra has a .37
And a later model cobra has a completely different engine.

Vettezuki 08-27-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 102374)
FWIW a fox GT has a drag coefficient of .34 to a c5's .38 and a cobra has a .37
And a later model cobra has a completely different engine.

Thought so. No way a C5 is that low. And a C3 is terrible for real aero (which really only matters over 100mph or so, but starts to matter A LOT).

More charts and analysis. The C3 is not so good compared to modern vehicles.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...nd-tunnel.html

Shaolin Crane 08-27-2012 06:13 PM

That's a typo, it should have been .38, not .28, either way I was wrong, close, but wrong. Its been a while since I looked but I remembered mustang werent all that far off.
Mustangs are surprisingly aerodynamic

Vettezuki 08-27-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 102380)
That's a typo, it should have been .38, not .28, either way I was wrong, close, but wrong. Its been a while since I looked but I remembered mustang werent all that far off.
Mustangs are surprisingly aerodynamic

You had a zero in there too. There's a lot of difference between .28 and .38, and an order of magnitude between .028 and .38. But I'm mostly just breaking your balls.

Here's the lowest cd car in the world, the Paccar at 0.075.

Here's apparently the lowest commercial car, the 2010 Mercedes E-class at 0.24. Even better than a Prius at 0.25!

Vettezuki 08-27-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryridesmotox (Post 102369)
enkei... how much power are you pushing?

Nobody knows! We even started a pool on it, but enkei has never dynoed it. I'm sort of pulling it out of my ass, just based on seat of the pants in it and other fast cars I've been in, plus the engine combo, and I think I put my money down on 575WHP . . . when it's all working.

enkeivette 08-27-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 102358)
Nah, like I said. He was probably only putting down in the 370-390 range. 90% of ford engine combos arent put together right and if I had my choice the blue car would have an ls3 instead of its whimpy little 308

:bigthumbsup:

enkeivette 08-27-2012 06:55 PM

Ben, I know Id never get anywhere near that top speed. Haha. And ps, I love you for that estimate.

Also, keep in mind after lower and smaller tires, my c3 is 5 inches lower than stock in the front.

94cobra69ss396 08-27-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 102366)

I plan to gap the rings to .022 for the top ring and .018 for the second ring. I'm also going to be running Probe SRS pistons and will have the bore finish honed for a .0045 piston-to-wall clearance just like we did with the 331 we built for Eric's Mustang.

Shaolin Crane 08-27-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 102386)
I plan to gap the rings to .022 for the top ring and .018 for the second ring. I'm also going to be running Probe SRS pistons and will have the bore finish honed for a .0045 piston-to-wall clearance just like we did with the 331 we built for Eric's Mustang.

Spot on, thats what the silver engine came out to

Vettezuki 08-27-2012 08:44 PM

Maybe after finishing the current projects within a generation or so, we could build a Motorgen top speed car and take it to the flats. That'd be fun.

enkeivette 08-27-2012 11:12 PM

I filed mine to 24 and 20, minimum for the second ring was 14 but they recommended alot more. Didnt feel like fucking around to make 3hp

Shaolin Crane 08-29-2012 12:11 AM

I moved the other posts to their own thread to clean up everything. They're more at home there.

Ryridesmotox 08-29-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 102385)
Ben, I know Id never get anywhere near that top speed. Haha. And ps, I love you for that estimate.

Also, keep in mind after lower and smaller tires, my c3 is 5 inches lower than stock in the front.

Let's change it from an estimate to a solid number. I happen to know of a dyno day in Upland at 10am on Sunday September 30th. $50 for 4 pulls there are limited slots available so don't go telling everyone and their mom. No excuses now. There might be a cobalt and a Sky red line there that will give you a run for you money on the rollers though. They are both Turbo swapped and they should get close to 500 to the ground.

Ryridesmotox 08-29-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 102388)
Maybe after finishing the current projects within a generation or so, we could build a Motorgen top speed car and take it to the flats. That'd be fun.

If you drop an LS block in anything I have HP tuners, and I know a good tuner who will help us out. I'll donate the time and money for the tuning.

Shaolin Crane 08-29-2012 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryridesmotox (Post 102451)
Let's change it from an estimate to a solid number. I happen to know of a dyno day in Upland at 10am on Sunday September 30th. $50 for 4 pulls there are limited slots available so don't go telling everyone and their mom. No excuses now. There might be a cobalt and a Sky red line there that will give you a run for you money on the rollers though. They are both Turbo swapped and they should get close to 500 to the ground.

I almost want to say(at the risk of sounding uninformed) his car should put down well over 600. F1 blown 351's pull that easy, his should be no exception.

enkeivette 09-01-2012 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryridesmotox (Post 102451)

Oops, didnt see this. But I wouldnt have driven to upland anyways. And what a way to heat soak a hundred hp out of my motor anyways :o

Vettezuki 09-01-2012 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryridesmotox (Post 102452)
If you drop an LS block in anything I have HP tuners, and I know a good tuner who will help us out. I'll donate the time and money for the tuning.

Good to know. I have a Rainman like memory so don't be surprised if 8 years from now I come calling.