Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Work, Paint, Detailing & Fabrication (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Paint Pics 2 (C3) (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1074)

enkeivette 01-08-2009 09:39 PM

Paint Pics 2 (C3)

I'm very happy with the way that it turned out, there are tiny pieces of lint here and there (hopefully they will sand out) but I guess that's virtually unavoidable. This was a ventilated booth, I wet the floors, cleaned with WGR, tack wiped, several times and still...

I love the color though. It's hard to appreciate here, in person it shifts from black to a metallic gray. It's HOK PBC43, Pearl Black.

Here's the only run that I've seen. It's a clear run so I would think that it should sand out. How would I do this? 1000 on a block then smooth it out with 1500, then polish and buff? Fortunately it's on the underside of the bumper, and hard to notice.

In this pic you can really see how it looks black at certain angles in certain lights.

One candy black tail light. To do this I wetsanded all of the lights (sidemarkers included) with 600 grit, mixed black candy dye in with the HOK clear, then shot 5 coats till I got the desired shade, then shot 3 coats of straight HOK clear to keep them protected & shiny.

SeanPlunk 01-08-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 13094)
I'm very happy with the way that it turned out, there are tiny pieces of lint here and there (hopefully they will sand out) but I guess that's virtually unavoidable. This was a ventilated booth, I wet the floors, cleaned with WGR, tack wiped, several times and still...

I love the color though. It's hard to appreciate here, in person it shifts from black to a metallic gray. It's HOK PBC43, Pearl Black.

Here's the only run that I've seen. It's a clear run so I would think that it should sand out. How would I do this? 1000 on a block then smooth it out with 1500, then polish and buff? Fortunately it's on the underside of the bumper, and hard to notice.

Wow, it really turned out great Adam. All that prep work really paid off. I can't wait to see it in person.

enkeivette 01-08-2009 10:01 PM

I just realized that there was an earthquake and my car is still up on jack stands. :eek::crap:

Vettezuki 01-08-2009 10:16 PM

All hail. And I wouldn't worry about the Earthquake, it was pretty light.

Leedom 01-08-2009 11:03 PM

Congrats Adam!! The car looks great and if you only had 1 run in the paint and this is your first time I think that is acceptable. Can't wait to see her in person.

kameleongt 01-08-2009 11:10 PM

damn adam it looks great :) once that run is taken out it should be great. glad I was able to help you out. :)

enkeivette 01-08-2009 11:16 PM

Ya, it should come out fine. Fortunately you can't even see it unless you get on your knees and look. Since it's on the underside of the fender.

The run is by the drivers side front side marker light. As you can see from these pics, standing above the car you can't see it. But of course I'm going to take it out anyways. Along with some of the lint.

And thanks again Art! Definitely owe you one, if I can return the favor just let me know.

enkeivette 01-08-2009 11:25 PM

If I may toot my own horn for a minute, the body work was flawless. There is no evidence of the drivers side fender near the gill that I had to repair, the emblem holes, the antenna hole, the modified front bumper or either of the bumper seams. Or even the seams of the doors that I closed up or the surface of the door skin that I made level with the body. Or the flippin hole that was in the hood!

There are little things here and there that I notice, that most if any of you will not. But yeah, body work came out great. If only Corvette bodies were as straight from the factory as my body work was, my car would be flawless. :bigthumbsup:

Vettezuki 01-09-2009 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 13104)
If I may toot my own horn for a minute, the body work was flawless. There is no evidence of the drivers side fender near the gill that I had to repair, the emblem holes, the antenna hole, the modified front bumper or either of the bumper seams. Or even the seams of the doors that I closed up or the surface of the door skin that I made level with the body. Or the flippin hole that was in the hood!

There are little things here and there that I notice, that most if any of you will not. But yeah, body work came out great. If only Corvette bodies were as straight from the factory as my body work was, my car would be flawless. :bigthumbsup:

Let's see how you do with RX-Snake, then I'll toot your horn (so to speak) big time. :sm_laughing:

In all seriousness, I'm very impressed with what you were able to do; especially considering where you started. I really look forward to working with you and the other guys on the body/paint of our Project Car. And I really look forward to seeing your work this Saturday. :bigthumbsup:

BRUTAL64 01-09-2009 09:10 AM

Damn, nice job. You are the the "MAN". :thumbs_up:

So..................when are you going to start on my VETTE?????????:huh:

94cobra69ss396 01-09-2009 09:25 AM

Great job Adam. It looks great, especially for your first time. I've never painted a car (the spray can paint on the Chevelle doesn't count) but I remember my dad painted a Vega that he had. It took him 8 times before he managed to get it even close to what you just did the first time. Nice job!:hail:

joedls 01-09-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 13102)
Ya, it should come out fine. Fortunately you can't even see it unless you get on your knees and look. Since it's on the underside of the fender.

Great job!!!

If you catch someone on their knees looking at the underside of your fender, kick them in the ass while they're down there.

enkeivette 01-10-2009 03:24 PM

Sorry that I couldn't make it today guys, had to reshoot something... ask me later. But it still looks sick, like liquid sex. I added more pics to the OP, and one of my tinted light. :cool:

Going to link this thread in a few forums to steal some traffic. :D

kameleongt 01-10-2009 04:13 PM

car looks great the tinted light looks good did you test for amount of light that goes past all those layers of paint?

enkeivette 01-10-2009 04:51 PM

Yeah, it's probably dark enough to get in trouble but they look sick. It was the least amount of candy that I could use to get them to look jet black. They look tinted red till they're installed. I'll take a pic at night when I get a chance.

mybad79 01-10-2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 13209)
They look tinted red till they're installed.

They look a LOT darker once they're on the car don't they ???

Great job on the paint - looks better than mine..... now I'll go back to 220 grit ... :D :D:D

SeanPlunk 01-10-2009 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 13207)
Sorry that I couldn't make it today guys, had to reshoot something... ask me later. But it still looks sick, like liquid sex. I added more pics to the OP, and one of my tinted light. :cool:

Going to link this thread in a few forums to steal some traffic. :D

What happened, did you re-shoot that fender with the clear run?

enkeivette 01-11-2009 01:34 AM

Bill walked past the car with his paint can opener hanging off his belt loop... Need I say more? :yikes:

We had to mask the entire car, sand down the whole panel and reshoot. It's a perfect match though, you'd never know which panel it was even if I told you. We used the same paint (same match, same conditions) so I lucked out... if you want to look at it that way.

The clear run is no big deal. After the paint hardens for a month it'll color sand out. The car needs to be color sanded any how.

Before:

After colorsanding:

Vettezuki 01-11-2009 09:28 AM

Are clear runs like that kind of typical, or was that just a little boo boo you had to deal with?

enkeivette 01-11-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13218)
Are clear runs like that kind of typical, or was that just a little boo boo you had to deal with?

I'm sure pro guys rarely do it, if at all. But as long as the run is in the clear, not the color or the base, it will sand out easily. So it's just not a big deal. I had one run in the pearl, so I had to let it dry for a bit, sand it out with 800, then it was good to go. Sandpaper will fix all.

There are 4 coats of clear, and more coats of clear than base is typical, so this would be most common during the clear stage any how.

If we do the blue pearl over white for the RX, I'll need to steal some paint to practice on my surfboard. Pearl over white is the hardest to do, and this blue pearl would be much, much more transparent than my black pearl. Ergo, it will be much harder not to make it look blotchy. I'll probably just dust it on back and forth a few times for each coat till it barely gets wet, as opposed to getting it wet with one stroke. That's how I did the candy black on the tail lights.

SeanPlunk 01-11-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 13217)
Bill walked past the car with his paint can opener hanging off his belt loop... Need I say more? :yikes:

We had to mask the entire car, sand down the whole panel and reshoot. It's a perfect match though, you'd never know which panel it was even if I told you. We used the same paint (same match, same conditions) so I lucked out... if you want to look at it that way.

The clear run is no big deal. After the paint hardens for a month it'll color sand out. The car needs to be color sanded any how.

Before:

After colorsanding:

That looks really, really good. I may have to get you to paint my Cobra at some point :drink:

Really though, congratulations dude, it's awesome to see your paint project finished up and looking so good.

Shirley1978 02-14-2009 11:02 AM

hey adam, i painted (primered) too see..:rolleyes:

im happy with it for now. it will stay primered untill i decide to do the rest of the body... but i dont think that will begin any time soon.. i finish my new engine!

just thought id share

ps, anything new with cambira?

SeanPlunk 02-14-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shirley1978 (Post 15394)

im happy with it for now. it will stay primered untill i decide to do the rest of the body... but i dont think that will begin any time soon.. i finish my new engine!

just thought id share

You finished your new engine? Congrats! What are the details?

Shirley1978 02-14-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 15395)
You finished your new engine? Congrats! What are the details?

ops.. :smack: i fucked up, meant to say i dont think ill start body work again untill my engine is finshed... :drink:

i wish it was finished.. should be done by May:thumbs_up:

SeanPlunk 02-14-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shirley1978 (Post 15417)
ops.. :smack: i fucked up, meant to say i dont think ill start body work again untill my engine is finshed... :drink:

i wish it was finished.. should be done by May:thumbs_up:

Details :cartman:

Shirley1978 02-15-2009 08:42 AM

havent decided the size yet, but it will be between 383-396 stroker 10:1 comp

have:
block: NEW late model 4 blt main 350
Heads: AFR 195 eliminators
cam: comp cams 286 hyd roller. (might change, but i already had it to begin with)
Intake: weiand stealth

Need:
rotating assembly, should have it early next month
rockers
push rods
carb
oil pan
flywheel

and whatever other little stuff im overlooking

ill be using the ignition, water, fuel pump, and whatever else i can from my current engine.

im shooting for 400 whp/ 500ish at the flywheel but im a little loose on it as of now... ill see what my engine builder says

end thread jack/]

enkeivette 04-20-2009 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shirley1978 (Post 15394)

just thought id share

Looks good man! Not sure how I missed this post. :drink:

I hate those bumperettes.

enkeivette 01-15-2010 01:05 AM

I can't believe I did all this work. I'm pretty awesome. Glad I finished before school started.

SeanPlunk 01-15-2010 09:43 PM

You really did a fantastic job. You are an auto MacGyver.

enkeivette 01-18-2010 12:16 PM

I love the rake in this pic, looks muscular.

BRIAN 01-18-2010 09:57 PM

^^^^^^^Holy shit that is damn sexy!!!!!

Your car looks off the charts awesome:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

enkeivette 01-18-2010 10:52 PM

I knew people would like the wheels more once I painted it. Just didn't look right with the blue paint.