Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Motorgen Events (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Motorgen GMR Cruise February 20th! (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12540)

SeanPlunk 01-26-2010 08:51 PM

Motorgen GMR Cruise February 20th!

Now that the date is determined, I wanted to start a new thread to avoid confusion.

The next cruise will be on February 20th and based on feedback from our last event I'm changing some things around. I'm moving the meeting point closer to the actual run (to keep everyone together better) and I'm also making the run shorter. This one is only about 43 miles so it won't be such a long day. Thanks again to everyone for showing up in January though - it was amazing to see 70-80 awesome cars of all different makes and models all cruising together!

The meet point for this cruise will be at a Kohl's in Upland with a very large parking lot. The address for Kohl's is:

1923 N Campus Ave
Upland, CA 91784

This puts us only about 5 miles or so from the beginning of the run. As I mentioned above, the total distance for the entire cruise is 43.3 miles. It should last about an hour and a half total. Once we finish the run the meeting point will be at a restaurant called La Tolteca (EXCELLENT Mexican food with a large parking lot and plenty of room for all of us inside unlike the last time at SuperMex). The restaurant is less than 5 miles from the end of the run, so again it should be a lot easier to keep together. The address for La Tolteca is:

429 N Azusa Ave
Azusa, CA 91702

I am going to shoot for a meet time at the Kohl's in Upland at 2:45p.m. We will leave the lot at 3:30p.m. I checked and the sun is due to set at 5:40p.m. on the 20th so we should have plenty of time to get off the mountain before it gets dark. With any luck, we should arrive for dinner between 5 and 5:30p.m.

Here is the route we are taking.
I have gone through and cleaned it up by hand (don't trust google maps completely) and it should be simple. I will have directions for everyone at the Kohl's and will hand them out before we leave. The drive is a lot of fun and the views are pretty incredible.

For anyone that wants to meet down in Orange County and caravan to Upland, I'm going to post up a time and location shortly.

If we have as many cars as last time, we'll probably try to break up into groups of 20-25 cars (we could break everyone up into groups of "fast," "normal," and "just out to enjoy the view" speeds).

For anyone that was at the last cruise, is the video and sets of pictures here, here, and here.

See everyone on the 20th!

SeanPlunk 01-26-2010 09:43 PM

Someone pointed out that their might still be snow and or black ice depending on weather between now and then. If that is indeed the case and things are unsafe, I'll have some kind of alternate plan ready.

SoCalC55 01-26-2010 10:10 PM

*Excited*

SoCal SRT 01-26-2010 10:18 PM

Hey, new member here. I saw your cross-posting on srtforums.com and came over here to sign up. Count me in for the run. I'm not sure whether I'll bring my 05 SRT-4 or my 86 Mustang, but I'll be there. I'm game to meet in OC to caravan up to Upland.

shutter 01-27-2010 12:03 AM

looks good!

I'm from the srtforums as well. I havent been up to gmr in a while, but it should be fun!

SeanPlunk 01-27-2010 10:37 AM

Welcome to the board guys - always good to have some SRT's along. I'll figure out a spot for an OC caravan tonight or tomorrow. I'll post it up in all the threads.

kdracer73 01-27-2010 10:41 AM

Frankie and I are in !! Got my new tires and should have them installed this week.

SeanPlunk 01-27-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdracer73 (Post 43680)
Frankie and I are in !! Got my new tires and should have them installed this week.

Excellent :)

SoCalC55 01-27-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdracer73 (Post 43680)

yay, maybe this time we'll see eachother before we're halfway through the cruise... so I can say hi. haha

SeanPlunk 01-27-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalC55 (Post 43697)
yay, maybe this time we'll see eachother before we're halfway through the cruise... so I can say hi. haha

I thought you told me last time you were avoiding them :sm_laughing:

kdracer73 01-27-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 43738)
I thought you told me last time you were avoiding them :sm_laughing:

:crutches: I'm hurt

SoCalC55 01-28-2010 09:04 AM

haha, clearly you should never listen to what Sean says (the married Sean that is)

If anyting he's just jealous since we all know that nobody would talk to him if it wasnt for him running the site/meets :lmfao:

SoCal SRT 01-28-2010 10:24 AM

Schedule conflict

Aaaarghh!!! I forgot that I have tickets to a SDSU basketball game that night, so I'm going to have to wait 'til the next cruise. Major bummer. I'm looking forward to the game (we're hopefully somewhere close to cracking the top 25), but I was really looking forward to meeting you all for the cruise. Oh well, I'll keep an eye out for whatever's happening in March.

Leedom 01-28-2010 10:40 PM

ahhheeemmmm!!! Can I get a calendar event here please?!

SeanPlunk 01-29-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 43863)
ahhheeemmmm!!! Can I get a calendar event here please?!

Sorry, I've been sick the last couple of days and it slipped my mind when I made the thread. I'll toss the event on tonight.

Douglas Mariani 01-30-2010 12:12 AM

The 80 is back

A Sad Day For The 80

WTF!!!

Getting Better

Shes Home And Ready For The Next Cruise

Vettezuki 01-30-2010 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Mariani (Post 43956)
The 80 is back

Yeah! Just in time for icy mountain roads.

SoCalC55 01-30-2010 10:02 AM

Just another reason why Porsches are BADDDDD :p

Good to see it all shinny

kdracer73 01-30-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 43968)
Yeah! Just in time for icy mountain roads.

I think I will follow Doug this time:laugh:

Douglas Mariani 01-31-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdracer73 (Post 43996)
I think I will follow Doug this time:laugh:

LOL :thumbs_up:

SeanPlunk 02-02-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Mariani (Post 43956)
The 80 is back

A Sad Day For The 80

WTF!!!

Getting Better

Shes Home And Ready For The Next Cruise

It looks great Doug - what shop did you have do the work?

Douglas Mariani 02-02-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 44121)
It looks great Doug - what shop did you have do the work?

J&D Corvettes in Bellflower. The same shop that painted my black 68.

BRUTAL64 02-02-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Mariani (Post 44129)
J&D Corvettes in Bellflower. The same shop that painted my black 68.

J & D has been around for YEARS. I bought an AMP gauge way back in the 70's from them.:nuts:

BRIAN 02-03-2010 12:52 PM

Wow looks realy good!!!:hail:

st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* 02-03-2010 02:08 PM

awww for real the 20th!! dang imma be in vegas for my g/f bday from the 19-21 :-(

Leedom 02-03-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* (Post 44222)
awww for real the 20th!! dang imma be in vegas for my g/f bday from the 19-21 :-(

What is more important? I mean really. GF or Us? Easy answer IMO.

st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* 02-03-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 44241)
What is more important? I mean really. GF or Us? Easy answer IMO.

but my g/f is down for the whole strip club thing and taking home a few "extra friends" hmmmmmmm

boost and twisties....or booty and titties????? :drool2:

BRUTAL64 02-03-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* (Post 44243)
but my g/f is down for the whole strip club thing and taking home a few "extra friends" hmmmmmmm

TITTIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :judge:

OC4g63 02-04-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* (Post 44243)

why not boost the booty ......and twistie the tittie :thumbs_up:

sux ill miss out meetin one of the few other DSM guys that seem to ever post on here yet again lol. wanted to talk to you about ur E85 set up ... im gettin ready to do a E95 tune on the AEM EMS for the talon. you going to try to meet up for the small get together on the 13? canyon then fudruckers in el toro i belive.

OC4g63 02-04-2010 09:09 PM

Oh btw .... Bobsgsx you goin to be at the 13th or 20th?

SoCalC55 02-08-2010 11:37 PM

Do we have a time and place for an Orange County caravan?

SexyLxy 02-09-2010 03:30 PM

Looks like there is going to be snow! :)

We're probably doing a test run this weekend so photos will follow. Hehe hopefully you're able to spot Sean and I. We are two of the whitest people you'll know :D

kdracer73 02-09-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexyLxy (Post 44609)
Looks like there is going to be snow! :)

We're probably doing a test run this weekend so photos will follow. Hehe hopefully you're able to spot Sean and I. We are two of the whitest people you'll know :D

Good thing I got my heater core replaced this week !!

Chuck 02-09-2010 08:21 PM

Wait are you saying snow run this weekend?

SexyLxy 02-11-2010 10:35 AM

I'm saying this is a test run for the cruise to see if it's ok to even drive through but also stop and play in the snow :)

jedhead 02-11-2010 01:04 PM

According to the weather service, temp will rise to the 80's inland as a high pressure system settles east of here. Hopefully this will help the roads to dry out and clear of ice. The north side of the road will be in the shade and may still be icy.

Bob

SexyLxy 02-11-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedhead (Post 44823)
According to the weather service, temp will rise to the 80's inland as a high pressure system settles east of here. Hopefully this will help the roads to dry out and clear of ice. The north side of the road will be in the shade and may still be icy.

Bob

Good to know, thanks Bob! The Mount Baldy site says that the roads are open and clear and there is no forcasted snow/rain this weekend. It should be a fun trip. We thought about bringing our other child (the dog) as she's never seen snow, let alone played in it, but I think the final decision is to leave her at home so we can stop and have some bomb digidy La Telteca.

SexyLxy 02-12-2010 03:56 PM

Bad news bears have just entered town.

So I was just talking with a co-worker about our trip tomorrow to the mountain and he said well I hope you're not going to baldy. I said well we are. He said A the snow is rock hard and B good luck getting up the mountain. I said well the site says all the roads are open and clear.

My coworker said yes the roads are clear but the mountain is a small community and they can only hold so many people/cars so they hold you back until people start to leave thus making a line on the mountain, and when availability opens up they will let you into the mountain. I asked, even to drive through? He says yes as he was there 2 weeks ago and was one of the people in that line.

So.....we're in discussion now about what to do and if this is all accurate but I'm glad we were given the heads up.

Does anyone else have any insite as to this happening?

vett4five 02-12-2010 11:23 PM

the weather has been sunny all week so i think we will b good i live at the bottom of the mountain see u at kohls

SeanPlunk 02-13-2010 08:15 PM

So my wife and I ran it today and it was great. The time of day is perfect. We ran at the exact time we would be going through and had plenty of light. Traffic was light and I didn't see a single cop all day (we actually ran two routes as well).

The first section, Glendora Ridge Road (12 miles) had some water on it but was mostly nice. It is unmarked (all one lane basically) so I was basically keeping it right around 25 mph. It was still nice and curvy though and the scenery is beautiful.

Now, the second section is where we'll have to make a decision. I went both ways with this today. The original route has us taking a right at Glendora Moutain Road to the east loop and onto San Gabriel Canyon road. Going this way is longer, but the road is more mellow. Nice scenery though and it's a direct shot down to La Tolteca.

The alternative is to turn left and take Glendora Mountain Road all the way down. It's shorter, but I actually liked the drive better. The other downside besides being shorter is that it makes it a slightly longer drive to the restaurant. Nothing major, but it is longer.

When my wife and I got to La Tolteca I counted about 40 open spaces. We rolled in right around 5. Their was plenty of seating inside and I'm guessing next Saturday would be less busy (I figure some people were out for Valentine's Day tonight). The food was incredible as always :)

I've checked the weather for next week and it looks clear. If it was anything like today, it was just about perfect. So we're definitely on, but which route does everyone prefer?