Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Import (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   FT-86/BRZ/FRS...discuss (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33346)

Chate 10-30-2011 01:44 PM

FT-86/BRZ/FRS...discuss

What are your thoughts/impressions of this long awaited "AE86" revival?

Vettezuki 10-30-2011 07:09 PM

Can't tell so much from this pic, but it just might be pretty cool. Competition is tough. There's a lot of pretty good looking high performance cars for reasonable prices (depending on what you define was reasonable.)

silverscmustang 10-31-2011 08:54 AM

looks way too much like a Z mixed with a Genisis Coupe

Chate 10-31-2011 03:00 PM

its small vs the genesis, length and width closer to the Z, but does have a 2+2 style, RWD NA 4 with 200hp for ~20k

But i dunno either, i really liked the concept photos and stuff of this car, and have been following it for the 3 years or so its been touted about, but seeing the 2012 mustang GT go for about 26k lately i just dont see how Toyota is going to use the "value" angle, no matter how good it handles, the mustang is still a better "value" at over 200hp more and some very respectable handling for a car of its size

Vettezuki 10-31-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chate (Post 85888)
its small vs the genesis, length and width closer to the Z, but does have a 2+2 style, RWD NA 4 with 200hp for ~20k

But i dunno either, i really liked the concept photos and stuff of this car, and have been following it for the 3 years or so its been touted about, but seeing the 2012 mustang GT go for about 26k lately i just dont see how Toyota is going to use the "value" angle, no matter how good it handles, the mustang is still a better "value" at over 200hp more and some very respectable handling for a car of its size

The GT would probably manhandle this car stock to stock in every category.

SeanPlunk 10-31-2011 10:09 PM

Cool car, but I think it has 195hp which is at least 100hp too little. Put a forged internal turbo 4 in one and we'll talk.

BADDASSC6 10-31-2011 10:44 PM

Gay. That Shit is over before it started. There are too many options with more power.

Kozak 11-01-2011 12:37 AM

I see both sides of this argument, it's cute(I mean cool!) and it's a good price point, but it's gonna have to put down a mean track record to persuade people from these other options at a slightly higher retail

BADDASSC6 11-01-2011 04:55 AM

The key is to sell it for Honda civic Nissan central money. Then they can move units. There are young kids that the extra 10k is a non starter, but don't want a front wheel drive car. All those America hating ricers

Shaolin Crane 11-01-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 85897)
The GT would probably manhandle this car stock to stock in every category.

Word. The GT has matched the M3 in everything so far except the price, and maybe the interior, even though i LOVE the mustang interior. No contest, used GT for me over this car.

SeanPlunk 11-01-2011 10:56 AM

It's biggest strength is the low curbweight. If they brought out a 300hp turbocharged version, kept the weight at 2700lbs, and kept the sticker right around 25k it would be okay I think.

kdracer73 11-01-2011 03:37 PM

It will be like the Scion tc...TRD will offer a supercharger for another 3 grand. Good for 40 more ponies.:huh:

Vettezuki 11-01-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdracer73 (Post 85979)
It will be like the Scion tc...TRD will offer a supercharger for another 3 grand. Good for 40 more ponies.:huh:

They may have missed the mark in this market.

Chate 11-01-2011 09:10 PM

It'll probably be a fun car though, 2660# is the "official" weight, and hopefully there'll be healthy aftermarket with turbos galore

Whats the situation on the mustang GT transmission woes of last year?

Spots 11-01-2011 10:20 PM

Biggest pro I see for this car is low curb weight, and the boxer flat-4. That lil motor will put the weight low, and far back, and make awesome f/r balance. Supposedly subaru is making an STI version, I'm hoping to see it with a turbo, and some other upgrades. It would become my summer car if they can keep it under $25k in STI trim. I'll keep the awd car for the winter (and for when I really wanna burn some corners.)

Chate 11-02-2011 10:17 AM

So far, subie has said NO turbo for the STI :( its supposed to have suspension and tuning only as far as speculated at this point and its a year later than the regular...that'd suck

its meant to compete with the mx-5 apparently from the latest thing i read from toyota after the spec sheet leak...in which case i like it, a hardtop miata, good weekend fun car

Vettezuki 11-02-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chate (Post 86030)
. . . its meant to compete with the mx-5 apparently from the latest thing i read from toyota after the spec sheet leak...in which case i like it, a hardtop miata, good weekend fun car

I could definitely see that for the (more powerful and now gone) Sky and Solstice obviously, but this seems to be off the mark; really in a kind of no man's land. Or maybe it's in a niche I don't see. :huh:

Chate 11-02-2011 02:26 PM

I think with the mx-5 comment, they're referring to the "minimalist" approach, tone down the high tech stuff etc, focus on light weight, good handling for autocrossers? anyway, i like this comparison:

http://toyobaru.net/gallery/data/502...StangvsMX5.png

AARP 11-02-2011 08:06 PM

I think it'll sell well if they can keep it at the projected $22k. Light, RWD, and Cheap are a winning combination.

As for competing with the MX-5, the ball is in Mazda's court with the 4th generation miata next year.

Chate 11-03-2011 10:25 AM

totally, 22k brand new would be awesome! drive it for 3 years under warranty, then throw a STI motor in it...now THAT would be fun

Vettezuki 11-03-2011 10:36 AM

I wonder what the prediction markets say. I'll check it out later.

kdracer73 11-03-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 86052)
I. Or maybe it's in a niche I don't see. :huh:

They do say you'll go blind, doin watcha do.....How hairy are your palms?

Vettezuki 11-03-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdracer73 (Post 86140)
They do say you'll go blind, doin watcha do.....How hairy are your palms?

It's a close call, but possibly more than on your head.

Oh snap! I went there. ;)

Ryridesmotox 11-04-2011 10:46 AM

Well it's settled next year... I'll be getting one. I'm not worried about the anemic power output. I like how its the size of a shot glass and with a little magic from a sponor/interested party... I'm going to shoot for 400whp. Should put it about the same power to weight as a current Z06. Still deciding on auto or manual. But I do know it's going to have to be a turbo, intercooled, E85 burner to get anywhere near my hp goals... And I'll lighten it up a bit by yanking the rear seats and tossing in some lightened front seats. I'll see you fellas at the track with this one for sure.

Shaolin Crane 11-04-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryridesmotox (Post 86175)
Well it's settled next year... I'll be getting one. I'm not worried about the anemic power output. I like how its the size of a shot glass and with a little magic from a sponor/interested party... I'm going to shoot for 400whp. Should put it about the same power to weight as a current Z06. Still deciding on auto or manual. But I do know it's going to have to be a turbo, intercooled, E85 burner to get anywhere near my hp goals... And I'll lighten it up a bit by yanking the rear seats and tossing in some lightened front seats. I'll see you fellas at the track with this one for sure.

I'll be waiting, with both ;)

Chate 11-04-2011 10:59 AM

http://jalopnik.com/5855983/the-197-...ew-mazda-miata

more i read the more i want, if it really sticks at 22ish grand, i'll just get one as a dd (31mpg apparently) hope these scion folks dont price rape like the ford ppl (2011gt w 10k-12k markup at release wtf??)

Vettezuki 11-04-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chate (Post 86177)
. . . hope these scion folks dont price rape like the ford ppl (2011gt w 10k-12k markup at release wtf??)

It's just supply and demand. If people will pay it, it's not rape (coercion), it's the correct market price. It'll come down . . probably. Just wait and let others pay the premium. But if you just gotta have it early, you can pay what they're selling for or not, your choice.

It's just the flip side of markdown to move slow product, where by some standard *reasoning* manufacturers and dealers get raped I guess. . . .

Chate 11-04-2011 11:57 AM

i mean doesnt scion have that whole thing where you pay whats on the sticker? or can they still add dealer premiums?

Vettezuki 11-04-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chate (Post 86186)
i mean doesnt scion have that whole thing where you pay whats on the sticker? or can they still add dealer premiums?

As far as I know it is their business model to no-haggle on sticker. Nor do they go down. :huh:

Vettezuki 11-05-2011 01:22 AM

Just read a quick "Fiirst Drive" in MotorTrend. They were very positive, comparinig it very favorably tot he Miata, but noted it could really use about 100HP once you get used to it. Also, seems like 2,500lbs, not 2,700. :huh: That's getting pretty light, and if they make a turbo kit to pump it just a bit really, it'd be a hell of a fun driver in the real world for a reasonable cost.

Ryridesmotox 11-05-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 86228)
That's getting pretty light, and if they make a turbo kit to pump it just a bit really, it'd be a hell of a fun driver in the real world for a reasonable cost.

Thats that I'm thinking... Which is why me and Treadstone are eagerly awaiting the car that I will be buying haha. I am hoping for some good power out of it once it starts running ethanol.

BADDASSC6 11-05-2011 11:10 AM

You guys that want to get one of these for the track do me a favor, get bigger rear view mirrors and stay low in the banking:drink:.

Ryridesmotox 11-05-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 86241)
You guys that want to get one of these for the track do me a favor, get bigger rear view mirrors and stay low in the banking:drink:.

Haha we'll see about that! IF, and that's a big IF, I can hit my power goals on the stock lower end (400whp), it should be more than a match for a vette. By the way, you do have a nice setup in your sig :thumbs_up:

Shaolin Crane 11-05-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryridesmotox (Post 86254)
Haha we'll see about that! IF, and that's a big IF, I can hit my power goals on the stock lower end (400whp), it should be more than a match for a vette. By the way, you do have a nice setup in your sig :thumbs_up:

IF you think that, and thats a big IF i'll enjoy watching the vette eat the peanut

It will be around the same as my car, 2700lb 400rwhp, but you'll have a turbo and a street friendly suspension, i'll be gunning for carlos before you ;)

Ryridesmotox 11-05-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 86256)
IF you think that, and thats a big IF i'll enjoy watching the vette eat the peanut

It will be around the same as my car, 2700lb 400rwhp, but you'll have a turbo and a street friendly suspension, i'll be gunning for carlos before you ;)

Haha nice... yea you won't have to worry about any lag...I'm gonna see what some bolt ons and head porting gets me... hopefully we can leave cams alone buuuut we shall see... I'm thinking with the rather high compression ratio, the car will respond well to boost up until a certain point then a person would have to rebuild a lower end with less compression to run higher boost. Only one way to find out.

Shaolin Crane 11-05-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryridesmotox (Post 86257)
Haha nice... yea you won't have to worry about any lag...I'm gonna see what some bolt ons and head porting gets me... hopefully we can leave cams alone buuuut we shall see... I'm thinking with the rather high compression ratio, the car will respond well to boost up until a certain point then a person would have to rebuild a lower end with less compression to run higher boost. Only one way to find out.

Yeaaahhhh, lot of money, I'll stick with my old POS foxes.

Ryridesmotox 11-05-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 86258)
Yeaaahhhh, lot of money, I'll stick with my old POS foxes.

Yea I hear that... I still might get a fox instead, if the car is not to my liking at the official release this month... IE: if the lower end is not high quality forged units.

I am reading your previous post and in light of that, if I do get the car... I will dub her "Peanut" lol sounds like a good name

BADDASSC6 11-05-2011 07:02 PM

I will through you guys in with the pile. Let me know when you're ready for your lessons children.

Ryridesmotox 11-05-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 86260)
I will through you guys in with the pile. Let me know when you're ready for your lessons children.

Luls I'm down lets rock! haha I just saw this video today... It's a cobalt with a big turbo swap... maybe I'll be putting off the toyota after all hehe, and continue to hurt peoples feelings with my "just a cobalt"

Shaolin Crane 11-05-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 86260)

Alright, but Sensei may have some lessons for you as well, especially if i can swing getting an ls3/ls7 before my 347 goes in.