Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   4x4 and Off Road (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Lift my truck? (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35658)

Chuck 01-13-2012 07:52 PM

Lift my truck?

I have a 2003 2500HD 4x4 Duramax if you didn't know. I am thinking about lifting it but don't have the knowledge or tools to install the lift my self. So I was wondering if anyone here would shoot me a quote to install it with my help of course. I am thinking of procomp 6" open to suggestions as well.

Thanks
Chuck

Shaolin Crane 01-13-2012 08:12 PM

Installing a lift is no big deal. Hardest part is getting the truck that high. I just say if you do a kit, do a better one then the procomp. I may be installing a auto lift soon...

Leedom 01-14-2012 01:01 AM

Are all lifts for 4X4's pretty much just drop brackets?

94cobra69ss396 01-14-2012 01:58 AM

His has torsion bars so for anything over 1.5-2 inches tit will be drop brackets. If he just wants a 1.5-2 inch lift than new keys for the torsion bars will do it. New keys take about 20 minutes to install.

Shaolin Crane 01-14-2012 03:40 AM

He said 6"...

BADDASSC6 01-14-2012 10:01 AM

I wanted a 6" lift on my truck too. Summit has front spring for $194 and the rear leaf springs for $224. My concern is if I need to do anything with the drive train?

Shaolin Crane 01-14-2012 12:30 PM

Drop mount for the carrier bearing is a good idea.

Leedom 01-14-2012 12:46 PM

What are people's opinions of these kits? Are you thinking about doing dual front performance shocks?

CST (not sure if you have an Allison)
RCD

enkeivette 01-14-2012 02:53 PM

The independent suspension is defintely not as straight forward as doing a cars. You run into issues with fitting enough of the spring compressor between the frame the lower control arm, and when you aren't able to compress enough of the spring, and you use the jack to compress it when it's going back in, you end up lifting the truck off the stands because HD springs are so damn stiff. It's a bitch.

I wouldn't go through all of that for a Procomp lift. If I were you, I'd crusie the Pomona swap meet, ebay, online boards, and craigslist for a while till you find someone selling a used long travel kit. With some fox or king shocks. You can save thousands of dollars getting it a bit used.

Shaolin Crane 01-14-2012 03:04 PM

Jacks and strapping the body to the ground works really well.

Chuck 01-14-2012 11:43 PM

Yeah I would probably do it used before paying for a new one I am kinda having second thoughts about it though. I may just throw the new bilstein 5100 shocks that I just bought and be done with it. That's kinda how it started I needed new shocks and it snowballed in my head to just lifting the truck. Like spending 340 on shocks to 2k on a lift that comes with shocks.

Ryridesmotox 01-15-2012 02:49 AM

Remember too that you are going to wear your cv boots more too cuz of those lifts... just keep it stock... if anything drop it. You are going to lift it, get bigger tires (otherwise it would look stupid) and effectively gear it down... You will lose fuel economy because of the gears and the fact that you are turning the aerodynamics into a bigger brick than usual lol... I had a 55 chevy with 40 inch superswampers on it and it was a 4x4... super fun but it got about 4 mpg

Leedom 01-15-2012 12:53 PM

What about just leveling the truck with this Camburg Kit (you can try to keep an eye out for one used). Would be cheaper than a 6" kit and give you more clearance up from for when you off-road it. Plus that kit will give you a stronger front end with better performance. Would not change things that much to really make your MPG suffer. I put a 3" lift on the front of my truck years ago and did not really see a difference in MPG.

Shaolin Crane 01-15-2012 01:20 PM

I dont think he cares about mileage anymore. He's got the STS now

Chuck 01-16-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 90834)
What about just leveling the truck with this Camburg Kit (you can try to keep an eye out for one used). Would be cheaper than a 6" kit and give you more clearance up from for when you off-road it. Plus that kit will give you a stronger front end with better performance. Would not change things that much to really make your MPG suffer. I put a 3" lift on the front of my truck years ago and did not really see a difference in MPG.

I like that one good find buddy.

Chuck 01-16-2012 07:26 AM

No don't care about mileage. I get like 18-20 now so a little loss won't make me cry and I only use it once a month to pull my trailer to Pismo.

Chuck 01-16-2012 04:07 PM

I went to Camburg today and sadly I walked out empty handed. He told me it is just cranking up the torsion bars (which is what i wanted to get away from) control arms and shocks. So back to square one.

enkeivette 01-16-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 90802)
Jacks and strapping the body to the ground works really well.

That's a really good idea, but how do you strap it to the ground?

enkeivette 01-17-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 90877)
I went to Camburg today and sadly I walked out empty handed. He told me it is just cranking up the torsion bars (which is what i wanted to get away from) control arms and shocks. So back to square one.

Why don't you like torsion twists? At least do that and level it out to see how you like it.

Are you not planning to jump it ever? If not do a torsion twist and a body lift. You'll get 6" in the front for a few hundred dollars, if you install.

Jumping capability with a body lift and a ProComp lift will be about the same, less the added tire wear because your suspension prob won't have enough stock alignment. Hahaha

Shaolin Crane 01-17-2012 12:03 AM

I have spots all over that have stuff bolted to the concrete. If I need another one its no big deal to drill some more.

Shaolin Crane 01-17-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 90894)
Why don't you like torsion twists? At least do that and level it out to see how you like it.

Are you not planning to jump it ever? If not do a torsion twist and a body lift. You'll get 6" in the front for a few hundred dollars, if you install.

Thats how he has it now, and cranking the torsion bar makes a truck ride like shit

Chuck 01-17-2012 07:16 AM

Yes that is what I am trying to get away from. I want the 6" lift torsion bars down for a 4.5" lift which is probably only 2-3 more than what I have now.