Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Auto (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Best Inexpensive, Safe, Reliable, Smallish 4x4 (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43999)

Vettezuki 11-07-2012 03:11 AM

Best Inexpensive, Safe, Reliable, Smallish 4x4

There's a moderate chance I'll be buying a family compound with a half mile of moderately rough road (dirt, broken pavement) that when it rains may get a little precarious. Presently my wife drives the Hello Kitty Miata. It would be fine when the road is dry and she drives slow (dificult!), but likely impassible or miserable during the rainy season.

Priorities are:
Safety
Reliability
Size (small)
Cost

If a Suzuki Samurai wasn't a death trap it might be great. I'm thinking used RAV4? Whatta ya'lls think?

Vettezuki 11-07-2012 03:16 AM

Doesn't actually have to be 4x4 really. I just meant to emphasize there is an offload component.

Ryridesmotox 11-07-2012 06:43 AM

I would get a blazer (S-10 style mini one not the K-5). Get the 4.3L V6 and the 4 speed auto. Its reliable and you can pick em up pretty cheap. Does this decision to move to a family compound have anything to do with the election last night?

blackax 11-07-2012 09:46 AM

First gen troopers can be had really cheap, They are easy to work on (just like most trucks) but most of mine have no problems.

2ng Gen troopers are a little upper class on the inside. They are a little more money but are a better bang for the buck.

Shaolin Crane 11-07-2012 01:35 PM

Jeep with V8
Explorer with V8
Turbo Diesel Van

Vettezuki 11-07-2012 01:56 PM

Let me rephrase smallish -> small.

Shaolin Crane 11-07-2012 04:32 PM

Explorer is smallish

Chuck 11-07-2012 07:25 PM

The blazer idea is a good one that 4.3 V6 motor is bullet proof. I had that motor in a Sonoma and that thing ran like a top to this day I kinda wish I still had it. But it didn't fair well in the sand due to it not having powered front wheels.

Vettezuki 11-07-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryridesmotox (Post 106324)
. . . Its reliable and you can pick em up pretty cheap. Does this decision to move to a family compound have anything to do with the election last night?

Tangentially I suppose, but it wouldn't have mattered who won. . .

Vettezuki 11-07-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 106368)
The blazer idea is a good one that 4.3 V6 motor is bullet proof. I had that motor in a Sonoma and that thing ran like a top to this day I kinda wish I still had it. But it didn't fair well in the sand due to it not having powered front wheels.

Are there particular years that are better than others?

Vettezuki 11-08-2012 12:09 PM

Actually a "rally car" like an Imprezza might be the best choice. Small functional car that'll do just peachy on broken, dirt, gravel roads.. . . mmm.

Damian 11-08-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 106370)
Are there particular years that are better than others?

95 and newer. A Bravada would be good too since its AWD, same years.

Shaolin Crane 11-08-2012 02:54 PM

Wouldn't a subie be kinda expensive?
Perfect option
Diesel, Mid sized, has a bed, dead fucking reliable
http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/3380623700.html

Vettezuki 11-08-2012 03:36 PM

It's for my 5' tall, 100 pound Japanese wife who presently drives the Hello Kitty themed Miata. She also enjoys speeding tickets (this might help that at least!) and hitting things. . .

Though the idea of her driving a diesel truck is amusing. Maybe if I paint it pink and put some sunflower hub caps on.

Also, if this project pans out, might get into making some biodiesel for shits and giggles since I have easy access to lots of fry oil for free, and that would drop incremental fuel costs by about 75%. (And my mom has a Cummins diesel truck and at some point would probably get a diesel tractor.)

Shaolin Crane 11-08-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 106507)
It's for my 5' tall, 100 pound Japanese wife who presently drives the Hello Kitty themed Miata. She also enjoys speeding tickets (this might help that at least!) and hitting things. . .

Though the idea of her driving a diesel truck is amusing. Maybe if I paint it pink and put some sunflower hub caps on.

Also, if this project pans out, might get into making some biodiesel for shits and giggles since I have easy access to lots of fry oil for free, and that would drop incremental fuel costs by about 75%. (And my mom has a Cummins diesel truck and at some point would probably get a diesel tractor.)

Vanessa drove my dually just fine on more then a few injured occasions. Plus if bio diesel is your thing the older 7.3l truck are ready to convert, no injector or fuel system changes needed, just a tank heater and you're done.

That layout of truck isnt all that large, i'd say about as big or slightly bigger as your tree sap danger truck.

heypal 11-09-2012 01:22 AM

Wj body jeep.

Vettezuki 11-10-2012 11:55 PM

Can't do anything at the moment as I'm in the middle of financing, but this looks interesting. Given the resources of MG, I'm guessing whatever the issue is would not be too difficult to figure out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...item3a7b9117ad

Shaolin Crane 11-11-2012 12:33 AM

Vettezuki 11-11-2012 01:57 AM

:clapping:

Small White Car 11-11-2012 12:35 PM

Might find one or two that haven't returned to their base minerals yet...

:p

C5Natie 11-11-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 106507)

You dont live near Glendora do you? Saw an asian girl getting out of a Hello Kitty decked out miata at the gym. Lol. I think it was blue but she looked a little taller then 5ft.

C5Natie 11-11-2012 03:28 PM

She will fit better in this...lol

Vettezuki 11-11-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C5Natie (Post 106663)
You dont live near Glendora do you? Saw an asian girl getting out of a Hello Kitty decked out miata at the gym. Lol. I think it was blue but she looked a little taller then 5ft.

Ha! Maybe her Doppelgänger. Anyway, figuring out what we're going to do with this side issue. The Miata is still marginally valuable and all things considered, for her, the commute, and the road a Nissan Juke is looking like a good option. Another possibility, since if I do this I don't have to keep the one buck truck, is to sell it and get something else, like the S10 Blazer, which she could drive on bad weather days.

Vettezuki 11-12-2012 11:56 PM

Zeroing in on a 2003 S10 Blazer. Prefer 4d 4x4 if possible. Budget around $6k lets say. The reason for the 2003 is that there is a Baytech CNG conversion that is CARB legal. Me mum and I work fairly close to one another and we can carpool when weather is good (most of the time, reducing commute costs to minor) and my wife can keep her Hello Kitty Miata. When weather is bad, she can take over the Blazer, I can take my Wrangler and me mum her Cummins Diesel.

enkeivette 11-14-2012 12:14 AM

You need to convince your wife to get an STI or an Evo. Its AWD so she wont get stuck, and powerful enough to get her unstuck out of the mud, or to get her away from thugs if they try to chase her down.

So ya, get an STI or an Evo, unless you dont care about your wifes safety.

Vettezuki 11-14-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 106805)
You need to convince your wife to get an STI or an Evo. Its AWD so she wont get stuck, and powerful enough to get her unstuck out of the mud, or to get her away from thugs if they try to chase her down.

So ya, get an STI or an Evo, unless you dont care about your wifes safety.

My wife holds the world record for most speeding tickets in Hyndai Accent. She approaches the gas pedal as something more like a switch. At least she's not as bad as her mother who learned to drive from a Tokyo cab driver . . you really are only ever stopped, accelerating or decelerating and as long as there is a milometer of separation you're good . . . at speed.

Probably she'll keep the Miata for dry weather and I'm thinking to get the Blazer, possibly with a CNG conversion and carpool with my mom most of the time, Then when it's nasty, the wife takes the Blazer and we take the Wrangler or Cummins.

enkeivette 11-14-2012 01:48 AM

You have a cummins now?

Vettezuki 11-14-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 106807)
You have a cummins now?

My folks do. The property I'm talking about is combining my wife and I with my folks. Hence the carpooling idea. We'll be living at the same address and commuting into the OC relatively close to each other.

The tough bit for me is I'd be fairly radically shifting my lifestyle schedule towards earlier morning. Ick. But, change itself is good sometimes.

Shaolin Crane 11-14-2012 09:07 AM

I've been seeing a ton of CNG vehicles on CL lately. Fucking cheap too.

Vettezuki 11-14-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 106819)
I've been seeing a ton of CNG vehicles on CL lately. Fucking cheap too.

It's almost entirely Civics, Crown Vics and commercial it seems.

Shaolin Crane 11-14-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 106823)
It's almost entirely Civics, Crown Vics and commercial it seems.

I've seen a few f150's some jeeps, 4x4 vans and even a c4 vette.

Vettezuki 11-14-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 106834)
I've seen a few f150's some jeeps, 4x4 vans and even a c4 vette.

Well, if you cross a Jeep or other SMALLER SUV/CUV, let me know, could be interesting. Don't go out of your way, just if you stumble on it.

Shaolin Crane 11-14-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 106838)
Well, if you cross a Jeep or other SMALLER SUV/CUV, let me know, could be interesting. Don't go out of your way, just if you stumble on it.

I'll do my thang. But seriously a 92-96 f150 xcsb isnt all that much larger then some of the vehicles you listed. Just sayin. Hell that's my idea of small. A normal SUV, to me, would be an Excursion :p

enkeivette 11-14-2012 01:11 PM

Id rather be Cummins than Stroke'n!

blackax 11-15-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 106844)
Id rather be Cummins than Stroke'n!

#1 Duramax
#2 Cummins (very close to my #1)
#3 Powerstroke

Shaolin Crane 11-15-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackax (Post 106905)
#1 Duramax
#2 Cummins (very close to my #1)
#3 Powerstroke

Powerstroke
Coummins
Mercedes
Isuzu
Duramax

blackax 11-15-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 106907)
Powerstroke
Coummins
Mercedes
Isuzu
Duramax

Duramax=Isuzu
Coummins
Powerstroke
Mercedes

Vettezuki 11-15-2012 02:27 PM

I was going to ask about the Mercedes unit that's in the Jeeps. I thought it was supposed to be an excellent smaller diesel engine. :huh:

enkeivette 11-15-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 106912)
I was going to ask about the Mercedes unit that's in the Jeeps. I thought it was supposed to be an excellent smaller diesel engine. :huh:

It is, I towed a car no problem but its not duramax giant. Im not towing any mobile homes in the near future

Vettezuki 11-15-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 106914)
It is, I towed a car no problem but its not duramax giant. Im not towing any mobile homes in the near future

I'm thinking more like life cycle. Will it, with proper oil changes, etc., last say 500k plus miles. I've heard people with the Volkswagen TDI (Jetta) going well beyond 500k. Certainly people are up there with the Cummins as that's really just about a commercial engine. But since I'm targeting something smaller like a Liberty sized vehicle, they do (I think) have the Merc diesel motor like your Cherokee.

I'm toying with the idea of one since I have access to lots of fry oil and making biodiesel. Apparently this can get down to way under $1 gal if you get into it. We'll have the Cummins already, so that would be two vehicles that could use it.