Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Project Cars (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Reaching out to Motorgen (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4979)

BlacknBoostn 06-20-2009 08:48 AM

Reaching out to Motorgen

Ok... In a nutshell I have a number of "minor" issues that are needing to be dealt with on my car. Especially to prepare for my tune. I'm asking for those of you who are more mechanically inclined (it's not that I'm not mechanically inclined, it's just that I'm less experienced in some/most areas) to help me fix some of these issues.

Naturally I will supply the parts and the beers :drink: if required... in exchange for a few hours of hanging out and taking care of business. I'm just going to number the issues and a "brief" explanation of what needs to be done along with the work entailed and what the problem is in order of most important.

#1 Throttle Position Sensor.
Done, Thanks Joe! It's good as new.

#2 Shifter Crossover Cable
DONE

#3 Brake Issue
DONE

#4 Throwout Bearing Fork
Replaced with a Cryotreated version. It's awesome.

#5 Clutch
Done

#6 E-Brake cable
Needs to be tightened so my car doesn't roll when I have the ebrake cranked all the way up. It's yet another common issue haha. Needs adjustment so that I don't have to crank it up as high as the thing goes. Still an issue as of 3/29/10 and working on it.

#7 Transmission REBUILD.
DONE (bought a used tranny and it's all gravy now)

Ok.. thats a good start. If I obtain a TOB fork and TOB that will very quickly be moved up to a priority. It's disgusting.

So please, anyone who has some knowledge or knowhow... name your terms! I'm not looking for you to DO it. Just for some help and possibly better facilities. :drink:

Once the brake and TPS and TOB fork get dealt with I'll finally get to head to the track again. So you'll be helping me get out there again!! :drink:

SeanPlunk 06-20-2009 10:59 AM

I'm definitely down to try to tackle this stuff. I think we'd have to break it down into smaller projects over the course of a couple weekends though. The only other thing though is I'm not sure anyone here knows how to rebuild a manual transmission completely. My buddy Aaron might though. Let me ask him. Perhaps we could start on some of this next Sunday?

94cobra69ss396 06-20-2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 25187)
I'm definitely down to try to tackle this stuff. I think we'd have to break it down into smaller projects over the course of a couple weekends though. The only other thing though is I'm not sure anyone here knows how to rebuild a manual transmission completely. My buddy Aaron might though. Let me ask him. Perhaps we could start on some of this next Sunday?

PM Throttle Crazy and see if he can print up instructions for you to rebuild the trans. He could rebuild it but I know he just doesn't have time. He and I rebuilt my T56 at his shop when the blocking ring for 3rd cracked.

BlacknBoostn 06-20-2009 12:55 PM

Yeah, these are basically all kinda time consuming... I'm anticipating only being able to do one or two at a time... or the easier ones together like Ebrake and Crossover Cable, maybe the tip sensor, that shouldn't be more than an hour. The trans rebuild is pretty straight forward on this car, I have full directions and a youtube video on how to repair 3rd gear actually lol. That'll probably be a weekend job. Sean, Next saturday I have off I'd love to get started. Or hell, sunday even. Don't care I just need to start dealing with it.

Oh, and the tranny doesn't need a COMPLETE rebuild, it'll basically be installing new gears. I've already started pulling my spare apart but I got stuck on the housing haha. Joe, can you help??? I'm trying to pull off a set of snap rings but my snap ring pliers broke lol.. I wanna know whats still usable

sinaSRT-4 06-22-2009 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 25185)

#1 Throttle Position Sensor.
This needs to be rewired. I have the rewiring kit with sensor plug. Unfortunately the SRT is DBW unlike my older Integra which had a throttle cable. Common problem on SRTs, the wiring tends to wear out after days and days of continuous movement during daily driving. This causes poor idle, rev match, poor acceleration, and generally poor performance. This will entail cutting and splicing new wiring into the engine harness, soldering, and using heat shrink tubing. I have everything but the solder and don't care to cut into such an important piece of my car without a little extra knowledge.

#2 Shifter Crossover Cable
Tighten. Causes loose shifting. This requires purely mechanical expertise and I do have access to a How-To.

#6 E-Brake cable
Needs to be tightened so my car doesn't roll when I have the ebrake cranked all the way up. It's yet another common issue haha. Needs adjustment so that I don't have to crank it up as high as the thing goes.

Ok.. thats a good start. If I obtain a TOB fork and TOB that will very quickly be moved up to a priority. It's disgusting.

So please, anyone who has some knowledge or knowhow... name your terms! I'm not looking for you to DO it. Just for some help and possibly better facilities. :drink:

Once the brake and TPS and TOB fork get dealt with I'll finally get to head to the track again. So you'll be helping me get out there again!! :drink:

What's up guys :nuts:. Tyler, I can definitely help you out with the problems quoted above. For the tranny rebuild you will need to contact Joe Dirt on SRT forums since he knows the SRT-4 inside and out and does awesome work at a great price. He is the go to guy for SRT transmission rebuilds. :bigthumbsup: Dropping the clutch and swapping out the clutch/TOB/And clutch release fork is not that difficult but it requires some time which I do not have.

I can also take a look at the leak from your O2 housing to see if we can fix it and do some boost leak testing.

SeanPlunk 06-22-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinaSRT-4 (Post 25370)
What's up guys :nuts:. Tyler, I can definitely help you out with the problems quoted above. For the tranny rebuild you will need to contact Joe Dirt on SRT forums since he knows the SRT-4 inside and out and does awesome work at a great price. He is the go to guy for SRT transmission rebuilds. :bigthumbsup: Dropping the clutch and swapping out the clutch/TOB/And clutch release fork is not that difficult but it requires some time which I do not have.

I can also take a look at the leak from your O2 housing to see if we can fix it and do some boost leak testing.

Awesome, do you guys have any time this weekend? I could probably help Saturday potentially.

BlacknBoostn 06-22-2009 10:41 PM

uh... saturday might work not sure if I work or not yet lol maybe

SeanPlunk 06-22-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 25382)
uh... saturday might work not sure if I work or not yet lol maybe

Cool, keep me posted and I'll try to schedule something.

BlacknBoostn 06-23-2009 08:10 PM

#3 is mostly solved. I have to check on a loose/stripped bolt that isn't tightening down right not sure what that'll entail but grind is gone. I needed new pads.. the Pass Side INSIDE pad was at metal, but the Pass side OUTSIDE had about 60% meat left. Couldn't tell without actually taking a look at everything. Got that handled now. It was a really weird wear pattern though... kinda angled and moreso on the inside. I'm keeping my eye on this in a few weeks.

BlacknBoostn 06-23-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 25383)
Cool, keep me posted and I'll try to schedule something.

I'll find out tomorrow at some point.

BlacknBoostn 06-23-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinaSRT-4 (Post 25370)

Sounds Good!! I know of Joe Dirt, I'll be keeping my eye out for him when I need the tranny done. I might look at a fuel pump rewire too, did you notice a huge improvement? I just got a diablosport so I will be needing more fuel after some of this stuff is dealt with...

Leedom 06-23-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 25461)
#3 is mostly solved. I have to check on a loose/stripped bolt that isn't tightening down right not sure what that'll entail but grind is gone. I needed new pads.. the Pass Side INSIDE pad was at metal, but the Pass side OUTSIDE had about 60% meat left. Couldn't tell without actually taking a look at everything. Got that handled now. It was a really weird wear pattern though... kinda angled and moreso on the inside. I'm keeping my eye on this in a few weeks.

Are you sure that your rotor does not need to be resurfaced? Was it complete metal or almost? New rotors would not be too much $$.

heypal 06-23-2009 10:32 PM

LOL I know Joe Dirt he comes to my meets on Saturdays. I can hit him up if you want.

BlacknBoostn 06-24-2009 09:11 AM

new rotors are coming pretty quickly here lol

joedls 06-24-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 25205)
Joe, can you help???

I can help with some of this. But I'll tell you right now, I'm not working under your car. I'd rather get beaten. I just paid someone to replace my clutch because I hate it so much.

Let me know. This Saturday, I'm going to the Street Legals.

BlacknBoostn 06-24-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 25515)
I can help with some of this. But I'll tell you right now, I'm not working under your car. I'd rather get beaten. I just paid someone to replace my clutch because I hate it so much.

Let me know. This Saturday, I'm going to the Street Legals.

.. Can be arranged... JK Joe!

I'm mostly worried about wiring, I know you did some of the wiring on your car, and I was hoping you might me willing to help me on the wiring for mine lol. I don't have a soldering gun and the guts to cut open my harness. As for being under my car, I'll take care of that haha

I can probably do the clutch with some other help myself, but not for another month or two.

Sean, Saturday I work, no bueno. Maybe sunday? Whatevs. LMK and we'll figure it out.

Joe, GL at the SLs. How're the coilovers?

joedls 06-24-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 25518)

I'm mostly worried about wiring, I know you did some of the wiring on your car, and I was hoping you might me willing to help me on the wiring for mine lol. I don't have a soldering gun and the guts to cut open my harness. As for being under my car, I'll take care of that haha

I can probably do the clutch with some other help myself, but not for another month or two.

Sean, Saturday I work, no bueno. Maybe sunday? Whatevs. LMK and we'll figure it out.

Joe, GL at the SLs. How're the coilovers?

No problem with the wiring. I have a soldering gun. Let me know what time and where on Sunday. I can come over and take care of that for you. You have shrink tubing and wire loom?

I'll let you know how the coilovers work after Saturday.

joedls 06-24-2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 25518)

Good luck with that.

BlacknBoostn 06-24-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 25526)
No problem with the wiring. I have a soldering gun. Let me know what time and where on Sunday. I can come over and take care of that for you. You have shrink tubing and wire loom?

I'll let you know how the coilovers work after Saturday.

lol my house or yours... it's not very far. As far as what time, considering how close we are it doesn't matter to me. I have the full repair kit with heat shrink wrapping and a new connection as well.

BlacknBoostn 06-24-2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 25527)
Good luck with that.

:rolling:

My only chance of ever beating you will be with 400whp on slicks with a couple years of driving practice... I'd like to run you someday... but how about when I can only lose by a length instead of a 1/8th of a mile.

Hows the 68?

BlacknBoostn 06-24-2009 07:51 PM

thanks for the help Joe, gotta check on sunday, might have family stuff

sinaSRT-4 06-24-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 25463)
Sounds Good!! I know of Joe Dirt, I'll be keeping my eye out for him when I need the tranny done. I might look at a fuel pump rewire too, did you notice a huge improvement? I just got a diablosport so I will be needing more fuel after some of this stuff is dealt with...

Fuel pump rewire gives you a noticeable part-throttle driving improvement as opposed to stock. You really feel the car work easier for some reason--maybe it is because the pump is working with more voltage and can work with less effort and provide the adequate fuel at any RPM range.

And as for the DSP you made a good choice and will indeed need more fuel later on or you can max out the stock fuel system. :D

BlacknBoostn 06-25-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinaSRT-4 (Post 25555)
Fuel pump rewire gives you a noticeable part-throttle driving improvement as opposed to stock. You really feel the car work easier for some reason--maybe it is because the pump is working with more voltage and can work with less effort and provide the adequate fuel at any RPM range.

And as for the DSP you made a good choice and will indeed need more fuel later on or you can max out the stock fuel system. :D

Sick, sounds like a good investment. I'm planning on 650-750s, returnline, 255lph pump, rewire, methanol, and an AGP Delta 44 kit eventually... Gonna hit 400whp on meth and pump gas.

As far as the Diablosport... I did LOTS of research beforehand... And got a GREAT deal on it. It's an awesome system.

st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* 06-25-2009 02:25 PM

dang im gone for a few months and u've almost done as much damage to your car as did to mine haha.

BRUTAL64 06-25-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* (Post 25623)
dang im gone for a few months and u've almost done as much damage to your car as did to mine haha.

You need to be around more often.:drink:

st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* 06-25-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 25624)
You need to be around more often.:drink:

lol ya i know i had a few drinks, took a blue pill with an X-tC logo on it, i thought it was a scion thing and i met a naked indian in the desert. but now im good and at home haha.

BlacknBoostn 06-25-2009 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* (Post 25623)

stock turbo and no cams still... lol. Eventually cams and big turbo to hit 400whp. we'll see!! someday anyhow. You have a stock Evo IC layin around I can buy? yes it's been done LOL.

Vettezuki 06-25-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* (Post 25627)
lol ya i know i had a few drinks, took a blue pill with an X-tC logo on it, i thought it was a scion thing and i met a naked indian in the desert. but now im good and at home haha.

Dude, we gotta hang out more. . .

BRUTAL64 06-26-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 25667)
Dude, we gotta hang out more. . .

Yes, you do!!!:judge:

SeanPlunk 06-27-2009 01:04 PM

Tyler,

You got stuck working all weekend, right?

BlacknBoostn 06-27-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 25746)
Tyler,

You got stuck working all weekend, right?

UGH yes.

BlacknBoostn 06-27-2009 02:26 PM

at least saturday. sunday i have family plans for part of the day

enkeivette 06-27-2009 02:31 PM

Not sure what's wrong with your brakes, need a better description. I'd be willing to bet that your shifter cables are fine, and the grommets are shot to shit. Replace the grommets or fill them in with urethane (window weld 3M) and it will feel tight as 18 year old J.

As for the synchros, do you rev match before you downshift? Will save lots of wear on everything.

Vettezuki 06-27-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 25755)
. . . As for the synchros, do you rev match before you downshift? Will save lots of wear on everything.

And it makes you feel good about yourself when you do it correctly. :p

BlacknBoostn 06-28-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 25755)
Not sure what's wrong with your brakes, need a better description. I'd be willing to bet that your shifter cables are fine, and the grommets are shot to shit. Replace the grommets or fill them in with urethane (window weld 3M) and it will feel tight as 18 year old J.

As for the synchros, do you rev match before you downshift? Will save lots of wear on everything.

Brakes have been fixed.

Loose shifter cable is a common problem so it's certainly one of the things that I'll be checking on.. along with bushings.

And yes, I do rev match before I downshift. Doesn't help me with the fact they're already worn... (car had 65k on it when I bought it) The issue that caused in a roundabout way ALL the tranny issues is the TOB fork.

BlacknBoostn 06-28-2009 10:10 AM

Ok, my week here is gonna be pretty darn crazy. workin saturday next week, and don't know what my sunday schedule is. It's amazing how quickly things get put off for longer.

BlacknBoostn 06-28-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 25761)
And it makes you feel good about yourself when you do it correctly. :p

Lol if my Throttle Position sensor wasn't jacked up that'd be easier for sure, if my TOB Fork was replaced it'd be easier, and with a new clutch and a 3rd gear that doesn't pop out??? It's gonna make driving my car so much more fun...

I love revmatching. I actually double clutch most of the time during daily driving too. Helps with all these issues my trans has.

sinaSRT-4 06-28-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 25587)
Sick, sounds like a good investment. I'm planning on 650-750s, returnline, 255lph pump, rewire, methanol, and an AGP Delta 44 kit eventually... Gonna hit 400whp on meth and pump gas.

As far as the Diablosport... I did LOTS of research beforehand... And got a GREAT deal on it. It's an awesome system.

Ah, I see. Lopez in the Cali section of SRTForums already has this same exact setup (except he has stage 2 injectors) and made 324 FWHP on pump gas no meth. ;)

400 Should be easy with the setup that you want.

BlacknBoostn 06-28-2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinaSRT-4 (Post 25796)
Ah, I see. Lopez in the Cali section of SRTForums already has this same exact setup (except he has stage 2 injectors) and made 324 FWHP on pump gas no meth. ;)

400 Should be easy with the setup that you want.

kason23 has this same setup with the diablosport and made 388fwhp ;)

sinaSRT-4 06-29-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 25798)
kason23 has this same setup with the diablosport and made 388fwhp ;)

:dancenana: Damn! Who did the tune?