Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Auto (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Soft Brakes (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71741)

enkeivette 08-28-2015 07:49 AM

Soft Brakes

Diesel Jeep has extra play in the brake pedal. It makes contact, then feels soft and depresses more than usual. But if I pump it up it gets rid of the extra play.

Sound like air in the system or a bad booster? (MC is full).

94cobra69ss396 08-28-2015 07:55 AM

Bleed the brakes to eliminate the chance of air in them. A spongy brake is usually air in the system. However, I can tell you that on my Suburban (1999 with front disk rear drum) it started to feel spongy when the front pads got low. It might have been the semi metallic pads getting soft or something but I bleed the brakes and it didn't have any air in the system. I replaced the pads with some ceramic pads, adjusted the rears and the pedal is firm again and it stops great.

Shaolin Crane 08-28-2015 12:40 PM

Yep, if the pads are low it will feel spongy

enkeivette 08-28-2015 11:25 PM

Weird. New pads going in tomorrow. Will bleed too. Thanks guys. No pun intended :p

Vettezuki 08-29-2015 04:50 PM

Had this on the Vette not long ago. It was just a bit of air in the system. Bled and refilled MC, poof, brakes again!

enkeivette 08-29-2015 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 989

Ive put 70k miles on these brakes. Plus whatever mileage the first owner put on them, and they were at like 70%. Insane. Im not very hard on brakes apparently.

Brakes made it feel a bit better. Bled the lines and tried to move the old fluid out, felt a bit better.

Now they feel decent again, but still a bit spongy. Imagine making light contact with your foot at low speed, just sufficient to stop the car, but after the car stops your foot compresses the pedal an additional 3 inches.

Now I dont know if Im just paranoid and it was always like that, or if something else is wrong? Ug

Vettezuki 08-29-2015 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 144389)
Attachment 989

Ive put 70k miles on these brakes. Plus whatever mileage the first owner put on them, and they were at like 70%. Insane. Im not very hard on brakes apparently.

Brakes made it feel a bit better. Bled the lines and tried to move the old fluid out, felt a bit better.

Now they feel decent again, but still a bit spongy. Imagine making light contact with your foot at low speed, just sufficient to stop the car, but after the car stops your foot compresses the pedal an additional 3 inches.

Now I dont know if Im just paranoid and it was always like that, or if something else is wrong? Ug

Booster or MC may be sub-optimal.

enkeivette 09-09-2015 01:31 PM

Brakes still stuck. Is the booster supposed to hold vacuum? Is that the best way to test it?

Any test for the MC? How does it fail?

94cobra69ss396 09-09-2015 07:57 PM

When the master cylinder goes bad it bleeds off pressure so the peddle will go to the floor. When the booster goes bad it leaks vacuum so the brakes peddle is hard to push. Like when you try to press the brakes when the engine isn't running.

You also have ABS so the ABS system may be causing issues. Do you have any codes?

Shaolin Crane 09-10-2015 08:50 AM

Sure it's a vacuum system and not a hydroboost system?

enkeivette 09-10-2015 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 144682)
Sure it's a vacuum system and not a hydroboost system?

Ya.

enkeivette 09-10-2015 10:00 PM

"The most common problems that occur in the master cylinder is wear in the piston bore and piston seal failure. The classic symptom of a failing master cylinder is a brake pedal that slowly sinks while pressure is held against the pedal. The cure is to replace the master cylinder."

http://www.import-car.com/basic-brak...ster-cylinder/

94cobra69ss396 09-11-2015 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 144716)
"The most common problems that occur in the master cylinder is wear in the piston bore and piston seal failure. The classic symptom of a failing master cylinder is a brake pedal that slowly sinks while pressure is held against the pedal. The cure is to replace the master cylinder."

http://www.import-car.com/basic-brak...ster-cylinder/

Pretty sure that's what I said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 144675)
When the master cylinder goes bad it bleeds off pressure so the peddle will go to the floor.

I've had that happen on a few cars with the Chevelle being one of them.

enkeivette 09-11-2015 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 144735)
Pretty sure that's what I said.

I've had that happen on a few cars with the Chevelle being one of them.

Pedal doesn't go to the floor, it goes down a few inches more than usual then feels normal. That's why I didn't relate your description. Thank you though. I'm assuming the discrepancy is that there are two pistons in the MC, and probably only one is leaking?

Shaolin Crane 09-12-2015 02:56 AM

Im surprised that you have a vacuum booster on a diesel being they do not create vacuum. I know it has a vacuum pump but it seems like a silly setup.

enkeivette 09-13-2015 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Makes marketing sense, not engineering sense.

Its primarily a gas engine vehicle, with mass produced vacuum boosters. Not cost effective to screw with all that.

Oh, and in case you were wondering:

Attachment 990

enkeivette 09-19-2015 08:38 PM

So fucking strange. Brake demons.

I changed out the MC today. Got in the car after bench and pedal bleeding, brakes felt the same, spongy. Drove down the street, slammed on the brakes and locked the tires out of frustration, then the brakes felt good again. Brakes felt solid for 35 miles out of my 45 mile trip to Pasadena... and now they're spongy again. Mother fucker. Im ready to sell this bitch.

enkeivette 09-19-2015 08:42 PM

Also, vacuum escaped when I took the MC off. So I know the booster is holding vacuum.

Damian 09-21-2015 09:51 PM

A little off topic, but is the diesel swap legal?

Shaolin Crane 09-21-2015 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 145046)
A little off topic, but is the diesel swap legal?

Pretty sure since Jeep is the one that crammed that thing in there. :sm_laughing:

Shaolin Crane 09-21-2015 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 145007)
Also, vacuum escaped when I took the MC off. So I know the booster is holding vacuum.

Did you bleed the ABS module?

Damian 09-23-2015 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 145049)
Pretty sure since Jeep is the one that crammed that thing in there. :sm_laughing:

What Jeep does he have then? The only Jeeps I know of that are diesel are the new Grand Cherokees.

enkeivette 09-24-2015 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 145049)

Diesel swap is never legal in an original gas engine vehicle. But Guy is right, mine is bone stock, and as American as German Apple Pie.

Mercedes 3.0 turbo diesels came in the 07/08 GCs, just not in CA.

enkeivette 09-24-2015 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 145050)
Did you bleed the ABS module?

Nooo... que?

Shaolin Crane 09-25-2015 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 145155)
Nooo... que?

Any time the MC is replaced there is a good chance that air has made it to the ABS module. Since it does not get bled with the rest of the system since fluid only goes through it when an ABS action is enacted, which might be why when you jammed on it, the brakes were ok until the new air bubble reached it. Typically you need a Tech 2 style scanner to get the ABS port to open, but sometimes you can go out and drive it, hammer down on it a few times and continue to bleed the brakes. Or, crack the fittings on the ABS module it self to try and bleed off the air, but again, since it only sees pressure during an ABS event, it won't always work.

enkeivette 09-26-2015 07:21 AM

Damn, ok Thanks Guy. Hopefully thats it.

enkeivette 09-26-2015 01:21 PM

No bleeders on the abs module.

Shaolin Crane 09-26-2015 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 145243)
No bleeders on the abs module.

I know, that's why you can sometimes cheat and crack the fittings on the brake lines