Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   SoCal Car Shows, Meets, Cruises, Racing (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Porsche driver's clinic Sat, Feb 18 $130, El Toro Airfield (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35702)

mdpalmer 01-16-2012 08:56 PM

Porsche driver's clinic Sat, Feb 18 $130, El Toro Airfield

Here's an email I sent to my "car guy" list:

Hey guys.

-The Porsche Club of America (PCA) Orange Coast Region (OCR) group is having a car control clinic at the El Toro airfield near Irvine (GREAT, GREAT venue for something like this!!!)
-I know a lot of you guys have seen my vids, but for those that haven’t here’s an out of car clip from last Sept 2011 to give you an overview of the auto-x layout (they change it up every time with cones)

In car clip from the Dec event:

-Sat, Feb 18. $130
-They provide an instructor and what I assume is a hotdog/hamburger lunch. Last auto-x they had pretty tasty dogs (/w grilled onions if you got there early lol) and potato salad+drink.
-According to their site, NO HELMET IS REQUIRED. So don’t use that as an excuse why you can’t go :)
-For any newbies, and even hopeless drivers with some experience like me, this event should really help with learning your car in a low stress (both you and the car) environment.
-From what I heard, they are supposed to set up a skid pad with water on it to practice oversteer corrections and what not.
-Afternoon session includes a “mini” auto cross course to “practice” your newly learned skills (whatever that means).
-I have done two of the PCA OCR autocross events and am very impressed with their organization and overall execution, they put on a great show. I assume this one will be as good as before.
-Even if you have a total shitbox car (geo metro, Honda civic with no mods, minivan, etc.), you should consider coming out. Especially those of you with a project car that never seems to get finished, you should come out and “get it out of your system” with said shitbox :)
-Same goes for those of you with new rides. Time to break that thing in :)

Event link:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/index....ABB521ED424F61

Create an account to sign up.

Driver’s list:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/index....ABB521ED424F61

Please pass this along to your fellow drivers/car nuts, I really think this will be a good event and folks should at least be aware of it. See you at El Toro!

-mike

mustangray 01-16-2012 10:32 PM

Looks like fun !!

kdracer73 01-16-2012 11:16 PM

tempted......very tempted !

georgetek 01-17-2012 12:06 AM

Wait so anyone can sign up? It doesn't matter what kind of car you have?

George

Redondo Jon 01-17-2012 12:47 AM

kdracer73, georgetek… What do you think? There’s plenty of lead-time on this one. It wouldn’t take much / any prodding for me to say yes to this. Besides, Mike is one of the coolest people I know.

[edit] I’ve e-mailed these guys with a question, so depending upon their answer I’m going to this.

kdracer73 01-17-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redondo Jon (Post 90902)
kdracer73, georgetek… What do you think? There’s plenty of lead-time on this one. It wouldn’t take much / any prodding for me to say yes to this. Besides, Mike is one of the coolest people I know.

I have to justify the loss of a days pay for a Saturday event. And already have to take the 28th off for a wedding.....

blackax 01-17-2012 08:43 AM

I really want to do this....I need to check a few things out but i should be able to go.

georgetek 01-17-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redondo Jon (Post 90902)

[edit] I’ve e-mailed these guys with a question, so depending upon their answer I’m going to this.

Sounds great to me. Adam and my buddy Bryce have both been really wanting to something like this so I'm sure they would be in for this also.

George

mdpalmer 01-17-2012 07:09 PM

Yes yes yes!!!! You guys are all welcome and have badass cars to boot! I know for me, 1/2 the fun is seeing the other machines, and as much as I like Porsches, it's kinda boring when everyone has one there lol. Don't get me wrong, just look at the driver's list as the event draws closer... you'll see all kinds of cars.

Would be great to have you out there. I think we all would learn a lot and have a great time. The point of the event is to practice "screwing around with your car" in a controlled environment with an instructor to point you in the right direction. Since it's winter time, air should be cooler... and this place is close to sea level too so everyone's car should be running with good power!

You don't need crazy brake or tire upgrades or anything really, just bring you, the car, some water, sunscreen, a hat, and you're good! Auto-x the next day will require a helmet though.

And if you're up to it, there is an autocross the very next day at the same place!!! I know of one guy on here who is gonna do that... now I'm tempted to do the same :) Maybe get a hotel in the irvine area on Sat night. What do you guys think?

Really, it's soooooooooooo much fun. Nothing to run into either. Well, except a corner worker or a cone. Either one will buff right out :D

EDIT: I should add that they have events at that venue (El Toro) practically monthly, so if you miss it no biggie. There will be plenty more!! At least for this year, from what I gather they have some kind of contract for 2012. I think DE (driver's education) are once a year and autocross runs for the remainder. Poke around the PCA OCR site, should explain it all.

Redondo Jon 01-17-2012 07:53 PM

Well I’m signed-up, registered, and have paid. The way I look at: If learn something I don’t already know, it’s worth it. (It’ll be worth it ‘cause I’ve got a lot to learn) :) They’re going to run this thing rain or shine by the way. Can’t wait!