Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Motorgen Events (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   September 11, 2011 - Mulholland (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31408)

Vettezuki 09-07-2011 01:54 AM

Children, I have some terrible news. I will not be able to make this. Daddy has to strike while the iron is hot and a gig came up. But do not fear! Leedom and maybe even SeanPlunk himself will be there. I'll take care the pics and videos.

kdracer73 09-07-2011 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedhead (Post 82515)
Even Yaris is welcome.:thumbs_up:

Bob

Yaris rules !!!

Vettezuki 09-08-2011 02:25 AM

Please see poll. I PM'd with Sean tonight and he didnt' get out the notifications to the other sites yet. It's getting a bit late now. My personal preference is punt on 9/11 (because I can't make it and I want to do this run) and move to 10/9 with better promotion, but if a bunch of you guys got this pencilled in and are gung-ho for it, fuck it, torpedos be damned.

georgetek 09-08-2011 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 82579)
Please see poll. I PM'd with Sean tonight and he didnt' get out the notifications to the other sites yet. It's getting a bit late now. My personal preference is punt on 9/11 (because I can't make it and I want to do this run) and move to 10/9 with better promotion

I'm in for 10/9.

George

mr.woolery 09-08-2011 08:48 AM

I'm planning to attend Supercar Sunday to donate to the troops anyway, then do the drive.

Most likely I'll be there in the Ariel...

...I think it's kinda too late to change dates for this meet/run, but I'm down for going to a 10/9 meet as well (in addition to the 9/11 one).

silverscmustang 09-08-2011 10:35 AM

^ I agree, we can do it this weekend and then do another in Oct that is similar but change the route a little.

Small White Car 09-08-2011 10:45 AM

Depending on who/what shows I will have a route that will make folks happy. In other words, 15 cars or less and we play follow the leader, more than 15 and we'll do the route as posted. Keep an eye out for my stripes or Woolery's Atom @ Supercar Sunday and we'll go from there for sure.

silverscmustang 09-08-2011 11:59 AM

sounds good to me :D

Vettezuki 09-08-2011 02:20 PM

Because of SMC's commitment and in the interest of trying to be as regular as humanly possible with the whole second Sunday thing, we're still on. I'll have Sean push out to the other sites tonight and whoever shows shows. Maybe a smaller group since at the moment its only MG and FB native and our larger groups are a pull from a bunch of sites.

ZexGX 09-08-2011 03:49 PM

I'm in with or without you guys! AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!

Car's freshly aligned, feels mostly neutral in cornering even with somewhat balding rear tires.

Can't wait. Although, probably going to stay in the back... Behind Paul... Ok, maybe just in front of Paul. :D

silverscmustang 09-08-2011 04:02 PM

I will try to have my handycam, gopro, and NEX-3 all shooting video from suction cup mounts on the car so we can get some good footage of the cruise :)

Spots 09-09-2011 04:41 AM

Have you guys seen this shit???

http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/30...ft-Mulholland/

silverscmustang 09-09-2011 08:04 AM

lol just a little old

Small White Car 09-09-2011 09:17 AM

Yeah, you know, the guy can drive the fuck out of a car but frankly he missed the entire point of The Snake...

Somebody give me some time on The Snake, closed, you'll nary hear a tire screech or see a wisp of smoke. You will see me movin' like a a greased pig through a goose though...

silverscmustang 09-09-2011 10:17 AM

http://www.insideline.com/features/s...e-in-1978.html

i know what you mean SWC, thats a great read about Mulholland if you havent already seen it

silvein 09-09-2011 10:28 AM

I'm doing this drive on Sunday. If we do the same one next month, well, thats ok too. Its not without precident (GMR again?).

silverscmustang 09-09-2011 02:39 PM

Thinking maybe I will try to find a pack of mini American flags to zip tie to our antennas for the cruise or something. What do you guys think?

landshark99 09-09-2011 05:02 PM

Baring some last minute event I should be there on Sunday 9/11, but 10/9 is out for me

1EviLS1 09-09-2011 07:38 PM

i should be there, looking foward to drive the car on pch/mulholland, hell its been almost 2 years since the last time

kdracer73 09-10-2011 11:42 AM

I can't make it this time !

Redondo Jon 09-10-2011 12:23 PM

I’m out also.

Kozak 09-10-2011 03:04 PM

You guys suck, I'm in with my SRT8 buddy and at least 2 other cars, one Camaro and a Sentra SE-R Spec V...yea I said Sentra

Small White Car 09-10-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kozak (Post 82762)
You guys suck, I'm in with my SRT8 buddy and at least 2 other cars, one Camaro and a Sentra SE-R Spec V...yea I said Sentra

See you at the show, looks like the original route as planned but it looks like we're on our own for lunch or what?

Vettezuki 09-10-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Small White Car (Post 82764)
See you at the show, looks like the original route as planned but it looks like we're on our own for lunch or what?

Leedom is still going and I was going to print up directions for him to take based on the route in the OP, which I presume you to me the original route.

DarkestSpade 09-11-2011 01:08 PM

Got lost half way through. Disappointing. I think I will stay local from now on.

kdracer73 09-11-2011 01:46 PM

Yea.....Frankie and I got lost last time...Too many options !

Small White Car 09-11-2011 03:30 PM

I don't know what happened, it was supposed to be easy, how the hell did we get two and a half pages of directions?!

For the record I didn't want to lead... :p

I did get to meet Jay Leno and got some pics of the Bugatti he was driving. w00t!

Ended up on Tuna Canyon with JonB and silverscmustang, I saw a GoPro so I think there might be a video.

Well, there's always next time...

:worf:

landshark99 09-11-2011 03:35 PM

I not sure how people got lost, the stop sign turns sort of broke up the group, but we seem to all be together on top of the snake, then some of the vettes in front of me took off and went straight instead of turning on Kanan Dune Road, since it looked like no one followed me I decide to play and turned left on to Latigo Cyn down to PCH, fully expecting most of the cars to be in front of me, dis not see anyone. Drove all the way on PCH to Topanga Cyn, turned into the canyon, still no sightings of anybody, since again there was no one with me I detoured up Old Topanga, hoping for less traffic, drove out to the Westfield mall, thought I would see every one there, but instead all I found was a black Charger and a few minutes later the Honda 2000. We left a not, had lunch at Ruby's, came out to find a Miata parked next to us but I guess no one else made it back. I hope everybody had a good time at least, I had a blast, seeing Jay Leno and his 26' Bugatti was an added bonus.

Small White Car 09-11-2011 04:01 PM

This one?

Vettezuki 09-11-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Small White Car (Post 82775)
I don't know what happened, it was supposed to be easy, how the hell did we get two and a half pages of directions?!

Because you used destinations for each turn to create the route and I didn't have time to clean it up. Honestly though, the turns and distances were all there, it looked like a lot more than it was. But yes direction clean up is important. I'll keep the route and clean it up for next time. The area has lots of roads and turns so if you aren't used to it, it's probably a bit confusing.

Small White Car 09-11-2011 04:55 PM

Oh oh, so it's MY fault now is it...

:p

I hope you all had fun on whatever route you did eventually end up on, there's plenty of fun roads up there between the valley and the sea, next time we'll get someone who can lead to take point too.

I swear that moron in the small white car had no idea what he was doing...

:lmfao:

landshark99 09-11-2011 05:07 PM

I thought the small white car did well leading until impatience took over others:pot_stir:

ZexGX 09-11-2011 05:26 PM

AARP 09-11-2011 06:59 PM

Was about 20 minutes late and attempted to catch up with the group. In 3 hours of driving I never saw anyone else :lmfao:

Detoured from the route and had some fun on Corral Canyon Rd before doing Tuna Canyon. Parked next to the blue STI and charger at the mall and ate at Maggiano's (excellent by the way-they have a lunch deal where you order an entree and get to take a second one home for free.)

Can we please hit up Angeles Crest Highway next month before the winter hits it? That was probably the best/most organized cruise I've been on.

Leedom 09-11-2011 07:12 PM

My dad and I actually made every correct turn. We had a great time and we did get video of Jay and his Bugatti. My dad got a little confused by the direction (the towards XX street totally screwed him up. I told him... Just look at the major turns in bold and ignore everything else. Had a blast. When we turned onto PCH a guy came next to me and said that a bunch of guys turned the other way (towards Neptunes). I hear that during the Stop with Jay and though that a bunch of people were doing it. It was just Jerry and his friends. Jerry... you jackhole (j/k)

Small White Car 09-11-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AARP (Post 82785)

Can we please hit up Angeles Crest Highway next month before the winter hits it? That was probably the best/most organized cruise I've been on.

70 miles, no turn offs...

:lmfao:

Redondo Jon 09-11-2011 08:43 PM

What do you mean: no turn offs?

duhveed 09-11-2011 09:33 PM

yeah Angeles Crest has tons of them

luder_5555 09-11-2011 10:10 PM

^ Getting people to use them... Different story.

mr.woolery 09-12-2011 08:02 AM

Got split up from the group almost immediately (my fault)--I didn't even take notes on the directions. So, instead of desperately trying to find the group a few of us just went "playing" on the various roads in the area. It's a veritable playground up there, and we ended up running into a few other Motorgeners along the way anyway.

Downside: We didn't get to stick together

Upside: By not sticking together, I was free to drive at my own pace instead of being part of a mobile traffic jam "pack"

I suggest we do the Malibu area again, but next time just split the group into smaller subgroups (8-10 cars) according to skill/speed/comfort level/etc. each led by someone who's generally familiar with the area (I can lead a group). That way we can have mini-groups that'll be running at comfortable paces for the group, not overwhelm stop areas, and can be "managed" easier. The cool thing about doing it this way is that we'll constantly be seeing other Motorgen sub-groups drive past throughout the drive. Lots more social that way. It also generally keeps the stop areas (such as the overlook) from getting overwhelmed...there's not enough parking there for everyone anyway. This method doesn't require run maps, only simple caravan techniques (to ensure you don't leave people behind). That way we could have large numbers of Motorgeners showing up for the event without (or minimizing) the downsides of having large numbers of Motorgeners causing traffic (or getting split up, etc).

This technique wouldn't work all that well for an Angeles Crest run, but for a playground of roads that the Malibu area offers it's a perfect approach.