Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Motorgen Events (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Drive-In Movie Night (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1652)

Vettezuki 02-24-2009 10:56 PM

Drive-In Movie Night

In the last couple years I've raised money for the Fox Fullerton restoration project. It's a great old theater now being restored. Every couple of months they have a movie night where they project a movie on to the back of the building, sort of like a Drive In of yore (if you're old enough to remember those). If there's enough interest in this idea, maybe I'll talk to the society and see if they can do a car movie night. Whattaya think? Note, it'd probably be a weekday or Sunday night because the parking lot is for local businesses and that's a restaurant area so Friday/Saturday is probably out, unfortunately.

Douglas Mariani 02-25-2009 07:54 AM

Beth & I go past that theater once a month on our way to our Corvette club meeting. She used to live near the theater when she was a kid and it was hers, her brothers & their friends local hang out. I just showed her your post on what your planning and she (and I) thinks it a GREAT idea. :thumbs_up:

SexyLxy 02-25-2009 08:59 AM

Dude, that sounds AWESOME. It's gotta be a good movie though. :P I'm in!

BRUTAL64 02-25-2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 16202)
In the last couple years I've raised money for the Fox Fullerton restoration project. It's a great old theater now being restored. Every couple of months they have a movie night where they project a movie on to the back of the building, sort of like a Drive In of yore (if you're old enough to remember those). If there's enough interest in this idea, maybe I'll talk to the society and see if they can do a car movie night. Whattaya think? Note, it'd probably be a weekday or Sunday night because the parking lot is for local businesses and that's a restaurant area so Friday/Saturday is probably out, unfortunately.

Fox Theater? Damn, I remember the times I went to see movies there. There was this one time I went with this girl and.................................:judge:

SeanPlunk 02-25-2009 09:20 AM

I think that'd be sweet as long as we could keep the cost reasonable. Also, do you know what kind of movies we'd have as options? Are we talking classic movies or more contemporary stuff?

Vettezuki 02-25-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 16231)
I think that'd be sweet as long as we could keep the cost reasonable. Also, do you know what kind of movies we'd have as options? Are we talking classic movies or more contemporary stuff?

They put them on and just take donations. I was thinking something like $10-15 a car territory. It's all older material, probably because of the licensing that has to be paid for "public performance" rights.

SexyLxy 02-25-2009 02:15 PM

How do they handle sound? I know at a traditional drive in they give you a speaker per car...i'm sure they don't have that. Do they set up a sound system?

You have me really excited.

When does that weather start to get warm. It would be nice if we could have some warmer weather that way we don't all freeze.

SeanPlunk 02-25-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexyLxy (Post 16258)
How do they handle sound? I know at a traditional drive in they give you a speaker per car...i'm sure they don't have that. Do they set up a sound system?

I bet they have some kind of wireless system now :huh:

Vettezuki 02-25-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 16259)
I bet they have some kind of wireless system now :huh:

I'm not sure as I haven't gone to one yet. But my guess is that it's just short distance FM, like the iPod transmitter for your car.

SeanPlunk 02-25-2009 02:37 PM

How big is the lot? How many cars could get in do you think?