Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Project Cars (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   2005 WRX tuning (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10572)

axotlprogeny 11-26-2009 08:23 PM

2005 WRX tuning

Hello All,

I wanted to start discussing my progress in tuning my 2005 WRX wagon. My current mods are:

Engine

- APS SR30 ball bearing turbo
- Titek catted downpipe
- Borla Hush catback
- Modded injectors (740cc)
- GM boost control solenoid
- Opensource tuning using Romraider
- TinyWRX Launch control patch
- Boost Cooler MeOH Injection Kit with 63mL/min nozzle and VC-25 controller
- Innovate Motorsports LC-1 Wideband O2 sensor

Chassis and Suspension

- 22mm rear swaybar
- Perrin anti-lift kit

As far as tuning goes, I am running 20psi of boost. I run 10.9 AFR and 14 degree timing advance at peak VE (3200 RPM.) I don't run at the bleeding edge of knock since this is a daily driver and it's fast enough for me. I have yet to dyno the car, but hopefully I can take it to Road Race Engineering if Santa thinks I was good this year.

The car definitely feels faster than stock. The SR30 turbo flows about 460 cfm at 18 psi, so it is on par with the more common IHI VF22. The GM boost control solenoid works much better at controlling boost spikes and sits rock solid at target boost all day.

I am in the process of tuning for my methanol kit. From the research I have done, (and logging results from my wideband), At full load, 50% water/methanol shows up half a point richer when injected. Anyone have any tuning experience with MeOH?

I will try and post up fuel timing, and boost logs as soon as possible.

And if anyone is wondering this is the ugly silver wagon that shows up at Nick's. :)

Vettezuki 11-26-2009 10:09 PM

Cool.

What does "- Open Source tuned" mean?

SeanPlunk 11-26-2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 38800)
Cool.

What does "- Open Source tuned" mean?

I was talking to him about this at the last meet. Basically the software is free and is created by the community. It actually sounded like one particular person was responsible for the version he was using. It's amazing all the stuff he could do with freeware :bigthumbsup:

axotlprogeny 11-26-2009 10:30 PM

Hey Sean. Basically, Subaru released the SSM (Subaru Select Monitoring) communications protocol over OBDII interface. People have figured out how use this to read and write tables in the ECU ROMs. Cobb Tuning built the AccessPort around this technique and made it into a very successful product. I think the AccessPort is a nice turnkey solution for most people.

Me, I like to fiddle with stuff...

SeanPlunk 11-26-2009 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axotlprogeny (Post 38805)
Hey Sean. Basically, Subaru released the SSM (Subaru Select Monitoring) communications protocol over OBDII interface. People have figured out how use this to read and write tables in the ECU ROMs. Cobb Tuning built the AccessPort around this technique and made it into a very successful product. I think the AccessPort is a nice turnkey solution for most people.

Me, I like to fiddle with stuff...

I'm impressed. That night after the meet getting on the freeway you were keeping up really well even with a couple passengers.

Damian 11-26-2009 10:48 PM

I love ECUflash, along with Evoscan. Ive never worked on a Subie though. Its amazing what you can do just by modifying the stock ECU.

Vettezuki 11-26-2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 38802)
I was talking to him about this at the last meet. Basically the software is free and is created by the community. It actually sounded like one particular person was responsible for the version he was using. It's amazing all the stuff he could do with freeware :bigthumbsup:

Interesting. I know exactly what Open Source is in the programming world; I wasn't sure it applied here. It's a pretty powerful model for some things. Motorgen.com is run on a lot of open source code.

axotlprogeny 11-27-2009 01:35 AM

I love open source, when it is actively developed and maintained. If I had any programming experience, I would love to contribute to Romraider.

BTW, here are some links for anyone who is interested:

Romraider

Learning View (For viewing Learned Knock Correction per Engine Load and RPM)

ECUFlash - Currently works on Subarus and OBDII DSMs

Tactrix OBDII USB Cable

Vettezuki 11-27-2009 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axotlprogeny (Post 38818)
I love open source, when it is actively developed and maintained. If I had any programming experience, I would love to contribute to Romraider. . . .

Open Source is not limited to coders. Depending on projects, they need testers, help with documentation, etc.

axotlprogeny 11-28-2009 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That's true. And funding. I have donated a few times to Romraider. I figure if I can't give them my time, might as well give them a few bucks to pay for the beer for a long night of ECU reverse-engineering and programming.

Also, for anyone with MeOH tuning experience, I have a few questions I need help with:

#1 Target AFRs.
How should I tune, knowing that my WBO2 reads 0.5 richer when injecting? Should I adjust my fueling targets until my WBO2 indicates my target? My gut tells me that this is not accurate, but if I just ignore my WBO2 I run the risk of cylinder wash.

#2 If I am offsetting my targets, at what boost PSI should my MeOH controller be set to start injecting? My gut tells me to set it to start after closed loop transition and a few hundred RPM before peak VE, based on the spool characteristics. If all goes well, I should be getting a MAF signal based controller soon, and then I believe this will be a moot point.

After establishing the fueling relationship, I'm pretty sure I can get my timing advance dialed in. I just want to establish the right relationship of fuel to MeOH/Water first.

Here are my fueling targets. After becoming obsessed with MAF scaling for about a month (ask my wife, she was totally sick of me pulling over every 20 minutes of driving for a little tweak), my actual AFRs are within 0.2AFR of my targets (+/-2.0%.) :)