Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Project Cars (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Corvair Sand Rail (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12616)

Chuck 01-28-2010 04:55 PM

Corvair Sand Rail

I have a sand rail with a Corvair motor in it. I wondering if someone would like a project? I want to get it running it ran about a year ago but it has been sitting in my storage for 6 months and I am paying a hundred bucks a month to store the thing and I can't even use it. So if anyone knows about Corvairs and has some time to work on it let me know. I would obviously pay for your time and the parts I think it just needs a good tune-up.

Thanks,
Chuck

94cobra69ss396 01-28-2010 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 43842)
I have a sand rail with a Corvair motor in it. I wondering if someone would like a project? I want to get it running it ran about a year ago but it has been sitting in my storage for 6 months and I am paying a hundred bucks a month to store the thing and I can't even use it. So if anyone knows about Corvairs and has some time to work on it let me know. I would obviously pay for your time and the parts I think it just needs a good tune-up.

Thanks,
Chuck

Did it run before you stored it? If so, then my guess would be that the carb is gummed up.

Vettezuki 01-28-2010 07:12 PM

Since it ran when you started to store it, and that was only six months ago it should run without too much hassle.

- Is the battery charged?
- Do you have appropriate fuel pressure? If not, fuel lines or filter may be plugged.
- Replace the gas. Six months is enough to start breaking down and taking on water.
- Maybe prime the carbs with a little gas or starter fluid (I don't know how much, but know that sometimes when carbbed engines sit for a while they need a little pick me up)

Just throw'n out some ideas.

enkeivette 01-28-2010 08:55 PM

I'll do it, but I need to swap out 89StangGuy's trans first.

Chuck 01-29-2010 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 43847)
Did it run before you stored it? If so, then my guess would be that the carb is gummed up.

Okay it ran for a week after I got it but not very good. Than one day it wouldn't start. So I got a new carb for it Eldabrock 550 cfm if memory serves me (it may be too big). So I installed that it would start but wouldn't idle it would just stall out I adjusted it and adjusted it but I couldn't get it. Than I got busy didn't have time to deal with it moved had to store it and there it sat for 6 or so months but it hasn't ran in a year. It needs a battery I had an optima that I was using but I put it in my parents trailer so it needs a battery fuel and a tune on the carb oil change. It has new plugs, and wires though.

Thanks

Chuck 01-29-2010 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 43858)
I'll do it, but I need to swap out 89StangGuy's trans first.

Great thanks It is a budget build though!

Leedom 01-29-2010 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 43875)
Great thanks It is a budget build though!

Adam is the king of budget building.

Vettezuki 01-29-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 43888)
Adam is the king of budget building.

Budget Builders look at Adam and say, "my god you're cheap."

:smack: Just teasing enkei. You're amazingly resourceful.

enkeivette 01-29-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 43911)
Budget Builders look at Adam and say, "my god you're cheap."

:smack: Just teasing enkei. You're amazingly resourceful.

Rather than buying a new vacuum filter for my headlights, which is $8 new, I cut it open with a dremel tool, removed the element, cut a piece of foam from something I had laying around, inserted, and glued it back together. Still works. :drink:

Chuck 01-30-2010 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeiVette (Post 43923)
Rather than buying a new vacuum filter for my headlights, which is $8 new, I cut it open with a dremel tool, removed the element, cut a piece of foam from something I had laying around, inserted, and glued it back together. Still works. :drink:

Thats great thats just what I need. I loved my lights on my slow 76 Vette I think I replaced every vacuum part on the thing. So let me know Adam we have met at the December meet and I was also at the auto show if you don't remember. PM me if you want my number or you could get it from Sean when your ready to talk about it.