Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Engines, Transimissions, Suspension, etc. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   No power (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26017)

DarkestSpade 03-10-2011 05:02 PM

No power

Hey guys,
Lately my 07 mustang gt feels like it has about 100 hp. It currently has 108k miles on it and I have yet to change spark plugs. I am hoping it is sparkplugs and not something else. When I first start the car the car runs with maybe 80% hp as normal but after about 30 mins pulling in first feels like I am in 3rd. Does anyone have an ideas as to what is causing this?

I appreciate any help.
-Kyle

Vettezuki 03-10-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkestSpade (Post 69978)
Hey guys,
Lately my 07 mustang gt feels like it has about 100 hp. It currently has 108k miles on it and I have yet to change spark plugs. I am hoping it is sparkplugs and not something else. When I first start the car the car runs with maybe 80% hp as normal but after about 30 mins pulling in first feels like I am in 3rd. Does anyone have an ideas as to what is causing this?

I appreciate any help.
-Kyle

Does it sound like it's missing?
Does it studder/fall on its face?
Any codes?

It's all about fuel, air, spark. Could be as simple as plugs and/or wires, or a clogged fuel filter, etc. Could be something harder to detect, like a broken valve spring.

DarkestSpade 03-10-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 69979)
Does it sound like it's missing?
Does it studder/fall on its face?
Any codes?

It's all about fuel, air, spark. Could be as simple as plugs and/or wires, or a clogged fuel filter, etc. Could be something harder to detect, like a broken valve spring.

It doesn't shudder or stall.

It sounds the same however the sounds drones maybe 1 second longer than before to get to 6-7k rpm's to shift if I'm pedal to the floor.

I don't have a scanner regrettably.:(

I was going to just take it in on Saturday to the dealer and have them put new Plugs in it and hope it fixes the problem. (I've heard issues with removing spark plugs from my model year so I was going to avoid doing it myself)

Redondo Jon 03-10-2011 05:42 PM

PM sent to you.

Damian 03-10-2011 06:31 PM

I would start by doing all maintenance, then go from there.

SeanPlunk 03-10-2011 09:17 PM

I have an SCT XCal3 that should be able to scan your car if you need.

enkeivette 03-10-2011 09:47 PM

It's not the spark plugs. That won't make a 200hp difference. Even in limp mode if you have an engine code, it should feel faster than that. Unless you are exaggerating.

I would say clogged fuel system but that shouldn't change with heat. Maybe your MAF has just completely failed??? I have no idea, pull the code.

I can pull the code too, I have an LM1.

Shaolin Crane 03-10-2011 11:21 PM

Limp mode will do that(my lady's 07 ran a 15 at irwindale when it went into limp mode), since there are only a few things that can readily cause limp mode start by checking the codes, but im gonna guess the 02's, throttle body(dirty), camshaft sensor, maf, coil packs or cam phasers. Mine was caused by the throttle body.

IIRC those are the most common items for random limo mode though the cam phasers are quite rare.

Damian 03-11-2011 09:48 AM

A dirty/bad MAF can make everything run like crap.

Redondo Jon 03-11-2011 02:02 PM

There ‘ya go. Tons of smart people with good ideas. I just don’t like seeing money spent at the dealer if it’s something easy enough for you to do yourself. My pm stands okay.