Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Import (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Scion FR-S Concept leaks ahead of New York unveiling (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27387)

RSS Reader 04-20-2011 07:09 AM

Scion FR-S Concept leaks ahead of New York unveiling

Filed under: Concept Cars, New York Auto Show, Coupe, Performance, Scion

Scion FR-S Concept - Click above for high-res image gallery

The Toyota FT-86 is continuing its long, painful march towards production at the 2011 New York Auto Show. As previously rumored, the rear-wheel drive wonder may sail under the Scion badge if and when it actually shows up on dealer lots, at least that's what Toyota seems to be hinting at with this latest concept car. Photos of the Scion-badged FR-S Concept have leaked their way to the interwebs ahead of the vehicle's debut later today. From the looks of things, the newest concept is a slightly more subdued version of the FT-86 II Concept we saw under the lights at Geneva. Those ridiculous LED accents have been stripped from the nose and the front fascia no longer looks as if it were lifted from the Buddy Club catalog. (Note to Toyota: We would have been perfectly happy seeing the original concept on the road as a production model.)

Unfortunately, there still appears to be an awful lot of concept floating around this machine. Note the ridiculously large wheels, bizarre door handle placement, miniscule side mirrors and Transformer-inspired rear valance. Given that entire star systems have been born, flourished and imploded on themselves since the FT-86 first bowed at the Tokyo Motor Show way back in 2009, we can only stand so many more concept unveils before we write this car off as all smoke and mirrors. That, or by the time the production car finally goes on sale, perhaps it'll arrive at dealers with a mid-cycle refresh.

Gallery: Scion FR-S Concept

[Source: SpeedHunters]Scion FR-S Concept leaks ahead of New York unveiling originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:49:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

SeanPlunk 04-20-2011 09:23 AM

I like it. I would want the Subaru version with the STi motor though :)

kdracer73 04-20-2011 11:04 AM

Ferrari knock off styling ?

SeanPlunk 04-20-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdracer73 (Post 72849)
Ferrari knock off styling ?

If you're going to steal from someone, you might as well go big I guess.

I personally would steal from Audi for styling though. They're more consistent than Ferrari.

silverscmustang 04-20-2011 11:48 AM

looks pretty good, but ya it looks like a cheap Ferrari

SeanPlunk 04-20-2011 06:09 PM

If it gets the 300+hp STi engine and still weighs in at +-3000lbs, that's going to be a VERY fun car.

AARP 04-20-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 72916)
If it gets the 300+hp STi engine and still weighs in at +-3000lbs, that's going to be a VERY fun car.

Plus, you won't be a "bro" driving a Scion :suicide:

SeanPlunk 04-20-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AARP (Post 72921)
Plus, you won't be a "bro" driving a Scion :suicide:

I don't hate Scion, they just don't make any cars that interest me really. The tc is alright, just not my cup of tea. I really like the looks of the FR-S though.

enkeivette 04-20-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 72833)
I like it. I would want the Subaru version with the STi motor though :)

I test drove 4 STIs when I was looking at buying a new DD. 2 of them had blown head gaskets, one of the others was down on boost.

I used to think Subaru motors were stout from a lot of hearsay, don't believe that anymore.

I like this design though. Hopefully it's not FWD.

SeanPlunk 04-20-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 72930)
I test drove 4 STIs when I was looking at buying a new DD. 2 of them had blown head gaskets, one of the others was down on boost.

I used to think Subaru motors were stout from a lot of hearsay, don't believe that anymore.

I like this design though. Hopefully it's not FWD.

That car is 100% RWD. The name stands for F-front engine R-rear wheel drive S-Scion.