Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Project Cars (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Yeah, so I thought I blew my motor last night. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3221)

SeanPlunk 04-20-2009 09:55 AM

Yeah, so I thought I blew my motor last night.

Since it was a nice day and I barely drive the Cobra last night I took it out to visit a friend. On the way home I lined up next to SoCalC55 and we punched it up to about 110mph. I barely pulled on him and the car felt down on power. I was rounding the corner and he said it smelled too. I then noticed a substance all over the passenger side windshield that had blown out of the engine bay. I hit the windshield wiper and it was obviously viscous :sm_up_there:

At this point I'm freaking out and pull into my garage expecting the worst. I open the hood and fluid is all over. I go and get a flashlight and I can see it appears to be coolant and it looks like it's coming from the intercooler tank. I called Sir_Riccus and he told me to start the car and open up the tank to see if the coolant was circulating. I start the car and take the cap off the tank and it's boiling in there. I guess intercooler pump failures are common on our cars and that's what happened to mine. As soon as I got in the boost the coolant boiled and was coming out of the cap.

I had changed the oil last weekend and didn't notice any problems so I think it just failed last night. Sir_Riccus and Curry101 are coming over this weekend hopefully to help me fix it, so I'll let you all know at that point.

Once I get it fixed I want a rematch Sean :sm_laughing:

silvertermi04 04-25-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 20757)
Since it was a nice day and I barely drive the Cobra last night I took it out to visit a friend. On the way home I lined up next to SoCalC55 and we punched it up to about 110mph. I barely pulled on him and the car felt down on power. I was rounding the corner and he said it smelled too. I then noticed a substance all over the passenger side windshield that had blown out of the engine bay. I hit the windshield wiper and it was obviously viscous :sm_up_there:

At this point I'm freaking out and pull into my garage expecting the worst. I open the hood and fluid is all over. I go and get a flashlight and I can see it appears to be coolant and it looks like it's coming from the intercooler tank. I called Sir_Riccus and he told me to start the car and open up the tank to see if the coolant was circulating. I start the car and take the cap off the tank and it's boiling in there. I guess intercooler pump failures are common on our cars and that's what happened to mine. As soon as I got in the boost the coolant boiled and was coming out of the cap.

I had changed the oil last weekend and didn't notice any problems so I think it just failed last night. Sir_Riccus and Curry101 are coming over this weekend hopefully to help me fix it, so I'll let you all know at that point.

Once I get it fixed I want a rematch Sean :sm_laughing:

Thats a message from the COBRA GODS. It mean Drive ur cobra more and drive it HARD, OR ELSE. :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::mad::ma d::mad::mad::mad::mad:

enkeivette 04-27-2009 07:12 PM

Don't title the thread I blew my motor if you're talking about your electric intercooler pump! :barf:

SeanPlunk 04-27-2009 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 21282)
Don't title the thread I blew my motor if you're talking about your electric intercooler pump! :barf:

I thought I did blow the motor. I thought it was oil on my windshield. I love my car though so I know she'll be good to me :drink: