Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Auto (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Time to beef up my 4.6 (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34918)

joedls 12-16-2011 04:32 PM

Time to beef up my 4.6

The 4.6 in my GT/CS is pretty much maxed. Any more power and these pencil thin rods will give out. So I'm replacing the shortblock with a fully forged Boss 5.0 shortblock.

Boss iron block
All Arp hardware
Manley forged flat top pistons
Frpp oil pump
Forged Manley H-beam rods
Forged Cobra crank
Federal Mogul rod and main bearings

Vettezuki 12-16-2011 05:39 PM

Do the cylinder walls need honing? They look kinda shinny in the pic. :huh:

joedls 12-16-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 89288)
Do the cylinder walls need honing? They look kinda shinny in the pic. :huh:

Just the light. The block has been fully machined.

Shaolin Crane 12-16-2011 09:28 PM

Nice, for those of you who dont know. The rods really are pencil thin, they're about the size of a toothbrush handle.

Vettezuki 12-17-2011 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 89295)
Nice, for those of you who dont know. The rods really are pencil thin, they're about the size of a toothbrush handle.

What huh?

Shaolin Crane 12-17-2011 03:33 AM

Ford cut the weight down on the 3v rods to increase the rpm range. I'll try and find the picture Greg at RET took when he compared his toothbrush to the connecting rod from a 3v engine. They were nearly identical in size.

Vettezuki 12-17-2011 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 89301)
Ford cut the weight down on the 3v rods to increase the rpm range. I'll try and find the picture Greg at RET took when he compared his toothbrush to the connecting rod from a 3v engine. They were nearly identical in size.

I get it from a physics POV. Just wonder about the trade off. On a side note, F1 engine piston heads are more like a valve and the oil only slightly more viscous then water. Of course 18 RPM, 1000s (yes) of gs in direction change and fuel injection around the speed of sound is kind of intense. :smack:

Shaolin Crane 12-17-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 89284)
The 4.6 in my GT/CS is pretty much maxed. Any more power and these pencil thin rods will give out. So I'm replacing the shortblock with a fully forged Boss 5.0 shortblock.

Boss iron block
All Arp hardware
Manley forged flat top pistons
Frpp oil pump
Forged Manley H-beam rods
Forged Cobra crank
Federal Mogul rod and main bearings

Did you do any high temp or race moly coating on the rings and bearings?

joedls 12-17-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 89302)
I get it from a physics POV. Just wonder about the trade off. On a side note, F1 engine piston heads are more like a valve and the oil only slightly more viscous then water. Of course 18 RPM, 1000s (yes) of gs in direction change and fuel injection around the speed of sound is kind of intense. :smack:

The stock rods are good for the power level of the stock engine, some have even run them with over 500 HP to the wheels for some time. Eventually they give out at that power level. My car is pushing 500 RWHP with the race tune, so it's time.

Shaolin Crane 12-17-2011 01:09 PM

Are you running a blower or n/a?