Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Domestic (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Project "Black Mantis" (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35672)

Shaolin Crane 01-14-2012 10:24 PM

Project "Black Mantis"

So you all saw the pics the seller sent me. Well today we got him back to the shop and I got started on scrubbing the nasty ass interior and trying to get rid of the smoke smell. Its dark, so the pictures look worse then before I started, its just wet. I removed most of the interior to get better leverage and into the little nooks to shampoo and scrub. Also started scrubbing the interior plastic to remove all the grubby-ness. Pics in the morning will show the progress.

Also on the agenda is fixing the front tank fuel pump, changing the rotted out freeze plugs and detailing the entire truck. Short plans are as follows.

Roush 200cc heads
Custom grind cam .556/.556 218/218 114*
Crane gold rockers
Long tubes
New cats
Custom side exit exhaust
Fixing various interior stuff
Brakes, fluids, blah blah

Sellers pics for those who didnt see

Todays pics.

Not looking to go crazy with this truck, just want to fix the small dents, buff all the scuffs out, give it a good wax and make it look like a presentable daily. The engine is being replaced because the very leaky rear main seal and the truck having 200k miles and me already having everything for it.

Not bad for $1500

Vettezuki 01-14-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 90815)
. . . Not bad for $1500

Not at all.

Chuck 01-15-2012 12:22 AM

Looks like you got your hands full and pockets empty! It looks good though for 1.5k

Shaolin Crane 01-15-2012 12:40 AM

Pockets are definitely empty. I guess its a good thing I have stock piled so many ford parts. I have extra exhaust manifold gaskets, freeze plugs, fuel pumps, window switches, etc

I should have it drivable by tomorrow afternoon, then i'll continue to clean the interior, and boy does it need it.

Ryridesmotox 01-15-2012 01:51 AM

DUUUUUDE good pick up. LOL...

Is it an I-beam 4wd or is it leafs in the front? I am pretty sure the 2wd ones had i beams in the front anyways.

Shaolin Crane 01-15-2012 12:03 PM

I beams, i dont think the f150's came with a solid axle

Shaolin Crane 01-15-2012 07:39 PM

So there isnt enough room to pull the freeze plugs in the truck. Bolts are really rusted so that doesnt help either. Rear main seal is leaking pretty badly. So see poll for options.

94cobra69ss396 01-15-2012 09:09 PM

If you have to go through the trouble of pulling it you might as well freshen it up.

Shaolin Crane 01-15-2012 10:38 PM

Yup, normally I would agree. But i'm so broke its not even funny. It will cost nothing(if everything goes smoothly) to pull it, fix the little stuff and put it back in. That way i'm not walking for however long it takes me to get the money together. Short list of stuff
$23 Timing cover gasket
$56 head gaskets
$16 oil pan gasket
$1XX camshaft
$20 Valve cover gaskets
$20 rear main seal
$44 Head studs (cheaper then new bolts)
$60 Pushrods
$100 lifters
$120 Machine work
$33 Intake gasket
$50 Intake porting
Thats ~$751 I dont have right now.

Thats bare minimum of stuff. That will also NEED better headers, new cats and an exhaust made.

Probably would take me a month or more the get the additional money for that, time I could be driving the vehicle if I pull it out and change the important stuff. However I know its really needed on a truck this old.

Redondo Jon 01-16-2012 11:41 AM

While looking through the photos I suddenly got the image of:
I vote fix it & drive it now.