Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Engines, Transimissions, Suspension, etc. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Roller rockers failing. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419)

enkeivette 06-13-2008 09:35 PM

Roller rockers failing.

Apparently God hates me, and my roller rockers.

I noticed today while I was cleaning my engine that the tips (not the fulcrum) of my roller rockers are failing, after only 15K miles! Gay.

This is why I'm an agnostic Sean, it seems to me that God must have seen that I've already spent over a grand in car parts over the last few weeks and he decided "Hey, let's watch him squirm!" :mad:

I guess on the plus side I can buy some 1.65 rockers now and up the valve lift. Should be good for another 20? hp.

Vettezuki 06-14-2008 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 3321)
Apparently God hates me, and my roller rockers.

I noticed today while I was cleaning my engine that the tips (not the fulcrum) of my roller rockers are failing, after only 15K miles! Gay.

This is why I'm an agnostic Sean, it seems to me that God must have seen that I've already spent over a grand in car parts over the last few weeks and he decided "Hey, let's watch him squirm!" :mad:

I guess on the plus side I can buy some 1.65 rockers now and up the valve lift. Should be good for another 20? hp.

Kinda sounds like an oiling or geometry problem. Are you just firing the thing up and nailing it? You should treat it like a lady and you may not have such problems. :judge:

enkeivette 06-14-2008 01:34 AM

Not a geometry problem, the rocker pushrod geometry is perfect (because I set it up myself :D). Not an oiling problem, all of the pushrod holes were clean. The problem is the no-name rockers, if you look in my garage under engine specs you'll see that my rockers are the only no-name part on the engine. Bought them cheap from an E-Bay company. Looks like it cost me money in the long run.

Vettezuki 06-14-2008 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 3326)
Not a geometry problem, the rocker pushrod geometry is perfect (because I set it up myself :D). Not an oiling problem, all of the pushrod holes were clean. The problem is the no-name rockers, if you look in my garage under engine specs you'll see that my rockers are the only no-name part on the engine. Bought them cheap from an E-Bay company. Looks like it cost me money in the long run.

Cheap stuff usually is more expensive. . .

enkeivette 06-14-2008 07:50 AM

I think my dual valve springs might be to blame for the excessive wear on the roller tips.

BRUTAL64 06-14-2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 3329)
I think my dual valve springs might be to blame for the excessive wear on the roller tips.

What kind of damage to the roller tip?

enkeivette 06-14-2008 03:46 PM

The roller itself is fine, the damage is internal. Some of the rollers feel rough as in they don't spin freely. Feels like the bearings or whatever's in there has flat spots.

BRUTAL64 06-16-2008 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 3335)
The roller itself is fine, the damage is internal. Some of the rollers feel rough as in they don't spin freely. Feels like the bearings or whatever's in there has flat spots.

Ok, now I understand. Well, at least the best "I" can.:rolleyes:

enkeivette 06-16-2008 11:32 AM

No it was my bad, I said damage to the roller tips, didn't specify.

Don't remember deleting that post above, what I said was... I figured out that with 1.65 rockers my lift would go from .520/ .540 to .576/ .594. :cool:

BRUTAL64 06-16-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 3376)
No it was my bad, I said damage to the roller tips, didn't specify.

Don't remember deleting that post above, what I said was... I figured out that with 1.65 rockers my lift would go from .520/ .540 to .576/ .594. :cool:

Make sure you check push rod clearence at the head and rocker clearence at the spring. ;)