Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Meet and Greet (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Dropped in to say "Hey". (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578)

Durango_Boy 08-10-2008 05:26 PM

Dropped in to say "Hey".

Hey guys, name's Matt, and all my friends just call me DB. My '77 Vette has a normally aspirated 350, soon to be replaced by a baddass 405. I have been working in and on engines for about a decade and I've finally decided to get out of my comfort zone and build a high CR, high HP, high TQ engine.

SBC 405
Roller Retrofit
64cc Aluminum Vortec Heads (200cc Intake Runners.)
10.15:1 Static CR
Crane 119661 Roller Cam - I292 - E300 - Dur .50 - 230 / 238 @ 112 - LI.539 - LE.558

I'm waiting for the pistons to finish the build and then I get to install. I'll be sure to post some pics.

My car is nothing of a race car, and I'm more of a cruiser than a racer though I enjoy having spirited fun on the streets sometimes. The 350 I have now is the first 350 I ever built about 10 years ago. It still runs good, prolly a good 230 HP at the rear wheels, but it's time for more power. I have built some really cool engines for my friends and customers and I'm finally giving myself the treatment too.

Can't wait to dig in here, this place looks cool.

:thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

Vettezuki 08-10-2008 05:46 PM

Welcome aboard. :thumbs_up: Built any forced induction motors?

Durango_Boy 08-10-2008 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 4944)
Welcome aboard. :thumbs_up: Built any forced induction motors?

No I have not. In fact I have very limited experience with even working on forced induction engines. I really want to learn more, and had even go so far as to tentatively plan a GM Ls platform engine with a marine Whipple super charger kit so it would fit under a Vette hood...maybe for my next Vette.

I have worked on a few turbo engines, a Nissan 300ZX, and a few turbo Eclipses. Nothing special though.

enkeivette 08-10-2008 08:55 PM

That's a nice cam. Lots of lift and not too much duration. Are those specs with a 1.5 rocker? If you get carried away with the duration you'll ruin the car as a DD... like I did.

And what sort of Eclipses have you worked on? GSTs or GSXs? I've always wanted to build a GSX, I don't think there was ever enough hype for those cars considering the platform.

Durango_Boy 08-11-2008 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 4952)
That's a nice cam. Lots of lift and not too much duration. Are those specs with a 1.5 rocker? If you get carried away with the duration you'll ruin the car as a DD... like I did.

And what sort of Eclipses have you worked on? GSTs or GSXs? I've always wanted to build a GSX, I don't think there was ever enough hype for those cars considering the platform.

It was a GSX, the all wheel drive car. Back in '98 or '99, when they discontinued it, I almost went in and bought one. I had the money saved up and I was young and had a rock star job. I drove a double black and LOVED it, but I was still leery cause around here the Eclipses had a erp for being a chick car.

Anyway, someone I worked with had a NA Talon, and liked the GSX he traded up, and got the GSX. He immediately started modding it, bigger turbo, chip...stuff I really didn't understand.

I helped him with quite a bit and it was fun learning.

Oh, and instead of the GSX I ended up buying my black Vette.

BRUTAL64 08-11-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Too much effective. Hell, I have 254 effective and mine is a DD. I guess it just me.:laugh:

Durango_Boy 08-16-2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

I think I will have a really fun engine to play with with my lockup off, and when I want steetability I can turn on the lockup and enjoy some cruising. I don't think I have blown it out of the realm of having a nice DD experience when I want it.

MOPAR31 08-16-2008 02:55 PM

Welcome Aboard!