Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Domestic (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Vortec Engine and Head Popularity. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608)

Durango_Boy 08-16-2008 08:51 AM

Vortec Engine and Head Popularity.

Considering how popular the Vortec head casting is getting, with it's high performance and low cost, will we start seeing more and more intake manifold options?

Dual Quad?

Triple Doubles?

High Rise?

I would like to see a Victor Junior Vortec manifold.

94cobra69ss396 08-16-2008 04:26 PM

Edelbrock, World Products and GM Performance all make single and dual plane intakes for the Vortec heads. Edelbrock also has two dual 4 barrel intakes, the Performer RPM and the C-26. Check out Summitracing.com.

enkeivette 08-16-2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 5248)
Edelbrock, World Products and GM Performance all make single and dual plane intakes for the Vortec heads. Edelbrock also has two dual 4 barrel intakes, the Performer RPM and the C-26. Check out Summitracing.com.

:iagree:

But I don't think we'll be seeing too much growth of the aftermarket for SBC or any old stlye carbureted motors for that matter.

SBCs have always been appealing to those without a lot of cash, who want to go fast. :D But now that gas is soon to be $5, $6... a gallon, I'm willing to bet that a lot of gear heads will be putting their projects on hold in favor of buying old project Harley's etc.

I know I haven't felt like spending money in my powerplant since gas jumped over $3...

Vettezuki 08-16-2008 08:01 PM

You could build psycho hi-compression E85 based motors (probably would have to go fuel injection). Due to government stupidity it's subsided. Let me repeat, basically 110 octane race fuel for less tan 87 octane gasoline. Thanks Uncle Sam, your retardation knows no bounds.

enkeivette 08-17-2008 12:00 PM

I haven't even seen E85 sold anywhere around here.

I'd like to find out what would happen with smog.

Durango_Boy 08-17-2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 5256)
You could build psycho hi-compression E85 based motors (probably would have to go fuel injection). Due to government stupidity it's subsided. Let me repeat, basically 110 octane race fuel for less tan 87 octane gasoline. Thanks Uncle Sam, your retardation knows no bounds.

A guy here built a 14.0:1 Vortec 350 for his dually, and it runs off of E85. Sounds like a top fuel drag car when it idles, and the smell is undeniably different. Not as cool as going to a car show and smelling race fuel being burned, but the sound of a high compression engine like that is really cool.

Vettezuki 08-17-2008 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durango_Boy (Post 5267)
A guy here built a 14.0:1 Vortec 350 for his dually, and it runs off of E85. Sounds like a top fuel drag car when it idles, and the smell is undeniably different. Not as cool as going to a car show and smelling race fuel being burned, but the sound of a high compression engine like that is really cool.

I think what you smell in the race gas is the Toluene component, an aromatic hydrocarbon. E85 is 85% alcohol (different molecule) so it doesn't smell the same. But it is about 110 octane and has a few other superior attributes to gasoline. E85 is REALLY good for turbo cars because of the cooling effects.