View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #15
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
There has to be a reason you are pinging with such little full advance. Did you have the heads off this motor before you put it in your Vette? There could be some issues with the chambers and maybe a LOT of carbon build up.

When the heads were off, they weren't particularly carboned up and I did a Sea Foam treatment (which has worked wonders on other cars I've done it to but nothing came out on the Vette, my guess is they're pretty darn clean).

My guess is this.
- Compression is perhaps higher than the advertised 11.1:1
- I'm getting fairly hot air. The intake is in the engine compartment and basically rests against the rad hose, not exactly ideal.
- Stock manifolds might be a bit restrictive causing unnecessarily high cylinder pressure/temp

It only pings if I'm on 91, on a hottish day and under load. Still though . . .

Fuel system (except injectors), plugs and wires were new and only have 7,000 miles on them now. Coil packs were older. I've done fully logged high speed heavy load runs the systems are all working as expected, no misfires, injector duty cycles are well within norms, no codes, nothing.

Bottom line, the combustion process needs to cool down or octane go up so I can put some real timing in. This is the basis of my original question, will an oil cooler actually cool the combustion chambers, or is it just to keep oil from breaking down?

Anywho, it's not like 391WHP is weak sauce and putting in a little Torco for safety now and then ain't such a big deal. But the idea some potentially meaningful power is only some timing away is alluring. I will get it retuned when I get some headers sometime next year. I'd love to get to 440WHP on my little NA 346.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)