Thread: Tesla Model 3
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #14
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Battery tech is advancing very very rapidly, though we're years away from them being truly competitive with a gas car. It's just massive amount of current and shit is going to get hot which in turn plays hell with the batteries. I would seriously consider a Model 3 if it's sexy and in the 30s for a DD.

Even IF you don't get free juice, your kwH charge, even in the People's Republic of Kalifornia is still quite bit less than gas energy. Your $/mile in a bad case is still quite a bit better.

Oh, and this all implies are grid, which is fairly pathetic, is going to have to get a massive upgrade in the not so distant future if electric cars are going to be truly viable.

Ultimately I see a lot of inductive roads and cars with relatively smaller efficient batteries. You just pick up power everywhere you go from the road itself, but that is WAY off. Maybe 30-50 years in my BS'n opinion.
The motors are huge too. We have some models that use 500 hp motors and they are giant easily weigh more than two diesel motors.

So right now if you are ok the grid then you're house looses power during black outs even if you have solar. It's done to protect utility workers from shock. It's only a matter of time until some micro switch or diode set up is used to prevent that. I definitely agree the cost saving is significant with solar if they can provide a competitively priced vehicle.
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter