View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 12:58 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by axotlprogeny View Post
I also think the SV650 is a great starter bike. You can't go wrong with a light v-twin that's not too tall. I have a '88 Honda NT650. the SV650 is a modern version of my bike.

Like was previously said, the SV650 has plenty of low end torque so you are always in the right gear. My brother has a CBR600F4i and I can feel the weight of the bike on turn-in compared to mine. After riding a bike with a v-twin, it's hard to go back to an I4. Plus SVs are cheap enough that you won't feel too bad if you drop it.

Buells are nice niche bikes, but they still rely on old harley tech so I am not sure about their reliability or leak tightness (not trying to start a flame war or anything, promise.) The Buell Blast is a nice starter bike, but it's pretty small and is more sized for a small woman. Plus, for the same price, you can go with the Ninja 250 (which has been the same bike for almost 30 years!)

RC-51, Oh how I desire thee...
Aren't all of those Buells air cooled? I will never buy another air cooled motor. Or a two stroke while we're at it. Only liquid cooled 4 strokes and 1/3 strokes for me.