View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #77
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle Crazy View Post
If it was pressure traveling directly against the exhaust from another source it would be by definition an opposing pressure not a back pressure. One pressure would not need the other to exist.
Main Entry: op·pose
Pronunciation: ə-ˈpōz
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): op·posed; op·pos·ing
Etymology: French opposer, from Latin opponere (perfect indicative opposui), from ob- against + ponere to place — more at ob-, position
Date: 1579
1 : to place over against something so as to provide resistance, counterbalance, or contrast
2 : to place opposite or against something
3 : to offer resistance.
When did I ever say "from another source?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I would agree with you that back pressure has multiple definitions and that it can be either upward flow, or a restriction. I was just explaining what I thought Glenn's position was.

When you create pressue, it is going to try to escape in all directions favoring the path of least resistance. So when you press your lips on a piece of glass and blow, the glass isn't pushing air into your mouth, but, pressure is trying to move back into your mouth.

So yeah, I would call it back pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle Crazy View Post
back pressure
n.
Pressure exerted upstream in the circulation as a result of obstruction to forward flow, as when congestion in the pulmonary circulation results from failure of the left ventricle.
Your definition, back pressure - upward flow.

Think about my example. When you blow against glass, there is pressure being exerted into your mouth. Obviously, not from another source. But "pressure traveling directly against" your mouth? Yes.