View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to eric97srad Send a message via MSN to eric97srad Send a message via Yahoo to eric97srad Send a message via Skype™ to eric97srad

Let's just say I'm prepared to start a rant about the freeway problem in the BS Lounge right now...

So quick update and then pics when I have a chance...

Yesterday morning (aka noonish) I started disassembly of the engine... and got it down to how it sits right now - block w/crank, rods, pistons, cam still in and oil pan still on...

I had Ron look at the upper portions of the cylinder walls to see what he thought, and we came to the determination that the block is still in pretty good shape for 200,000 miles and I might be able to get away with the 327.

Today, I called Speedomotive only to find they are extremely arrogant and don't want to deal with the low budget diy-er... I was looking at about $2700 when all was said and done to walk out with my short block assembled as a 331. They told me they will not let a factory Ford block leave their shop without being bored because they have yet to find one which matches the original block blue prints. So 327 is out as of now...
So my alternative option was to call Rancho Engine Machine and get a quote for just the machining and do the rest of the work myself... They quoted me about $300 for a hot tank, bore and hone, cam bearing install, freeze plugs installed and pistons pressed onto the rods. Adding in the cost of the Coast High Performance kit with a girdle kit, flywheel and the current offer of free balancing - I'm looking at a total of about $1500 to have an assembled 331 block, plus the reward of doing it myself.
So that's the story - I'm pulling the trigger on that one. Everything should come together relatively quickly this fall and hopefully in time for the next Dyno pull that you mentioned, Sean