View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #15
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedhead View Post
When I was rebuilding engines, I did most of all prep work my self. The machine shop did the boring and balancing of the rotating parts. My brothers and I did alot of trading to get the parts we needed. When we needed to rebuild a powerglide for our 65 Impala bracket car, we enrolled into a transmission class at Goldenwest College and talked our instructor into using the transmission for the class project. It cost us $90 and a few nights for a full race transmission. The engines were more simple with carbs and no electronics. Like others said 13 second cars were quick in the day, but I think one of the main reasons times have dropped so much are because the tires are so much better today. My 70 Chevelle had a lot of power, but I could not put all the power down on the pavement.

Bob
Yep, tires make a big difference. In 1974 I was in all Corvette Drag meet at OCIR. I could spin those tires with out even trying. Hell, even the BF Goodrich's I have now are better than the tires I had in 1972.

Oh yea, I won my class--I beat a 327 360 hp 62 Vette on the final round. I ran a 14.03 with shitty tires.

All things being even, I'd rather go back to 1969 and build the shit then. It was a LOT of fun. Now, It's all a big headache to build stuff.
2016 Nissan Altma