View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Also, for "high speed offroading" or trophy truck style suspensions, you'll want the truck the be as low as you dare for handling purposes. Obviously it will still be higher than stock, but not higher than it needs to be. You'll want the engine in the back (or in the front set back as far as possible) and an independent suspension/ diff up front.

I don't know much about rock crawling, but I do know that tires are the only thing that will give you diff clearance. So it would make sense that you should jack up the vehicle as much as you need to for some massive tires. Most rock crawlers that I've seen are solid axle front and back, but I have seen a few pro rock crawlers that are independent. Probably more a matter of budget and preference than function. And I don't know for sure, but it makes sense to me that an engine should be up front in a rock crawler, to prevent falling backwards. Juuust a thought.

As far as suspension, I remember trophy trucks having almost 30" of travel up front, almost 40" out back. The shocks usually have about a 16" stroke, maybe more. As far as the rock crawlers, I don't think that suspension would be totally different. Made to be fully and slowly compressed with rebound being less important. I know that they both use coilovers though, mainly. Also, both 4 linked.