View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 11:14 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Default Motor Comes Out

Finally, back to actual work. Today we removed the old lump.

Here it is up on stands, getting fluids drained and various connections removed:

Side view of the L83 prior to removal:

Top view from above cockpit . . . looks like something the Borg would make :laughing:

Removed. Actually, once connections were severed it came out in one piece pretty easily.

The empty engine bay. We'll clean her up good'n purty before installing the new motor and trans. Plus we'll use this time to install the new clutch/brake pedals, locate the ecm etc.

I'm hell bent on keeping A/C and to the greatest extent possible, stock locations for things I'm keeping. I'll be deleting the cruise control. We're thinking to locate the ecm about where the crusie control and maybe windshield wiper fluid bottle (never use that anyway). It's a nice discrete spot. A second possiblity is to exchange my harness for the longer run and piggy back with the sctock ecm and harness path, which is in the cabin. I kind of like keeping it shorter and all in the compartment as they are on modern cars.

Also, one thing we did manage to do at my cousin's place was pull the stock heater pipes and replace with 45 degree brass fittings. I used a 1/2 -> 3/8 bushing and 3/8 on both the send and return. Since it is a closed and pressurized fluid system, 3/8 is the least common denominator for flow anyway so it makes no difference in function. Apparently having different sizes was just a keying mechanism so they would connect the send and return correctly on the assembly line. This should clear the control arm just fine and give a nice flowing shot to the heater core.

Until next time. :cheers:

Last edited by Vettezuki : 02-11-2007 at 07:04 PM.