View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Default It's been a while

Well, basically the delay is the result of a few things, but mainly the conversion from 700R4 to T56 (really just sorting the Master Cylinder).

Originally I was just thinking o f using a new 4th Gen MC, but the angle is totally wrong. Eventually I ended up going with an 85 Chevy 1 ton, because curiously it is a direct bolt up to the C3 Firewall; however, I did have to modify the rod.

Here's the Camaro MC in the orientation it would be in the C3:

Here's the same MC in the orientation it needs to be in:

Here's the location where it slips through the firewall and links up to the clutch pedal.

Here you can visualize a little better the problem with the 4th Gen MC. Supposedly Street and Performance makes and adapter that mounts to the firewall using the brake booster bolts. I decided to just go with the truck master.

The down side of the truck master that I got from AutoZone is that it did not include the resevoire or hydraulic line (naturally). So I've had to run down a hydraulic line with the correct quick connect to the slave and will have the "Hose Man" make up the A/N fitting for the MC side. Remote resevoire is not such a big deal, just make sure the feed line is rated for hydraulic/brake fluid and not just any rubber.

Next problem is the speedo and tac. On my 82' the Speedo is mechanical and the the Tac is electronic. While driving around with my speedo (safely) pegged to 85mph was amusing, it did get kind of old. So like a true dork I bought 5" 200mph AutoMeter gage. Looks great, and I thought there'd be plenty of space in the panel to massage it into place. . . no. However, making a new instrument panel isn't sooooo hard.

To start with, the depth is a bit wrong, plus I'd have to hack apart the inards of the stock panel, which is kind of a no no for me.

With face plate off:
[img][/img]

Not to worry, that's why god invented cardboard:

For mock up . . .

So I bought some ABS plastic, weld on 4 glue, hole saws and so on. Tomorrow night we'll build the new panel. It'll be good enough to last a couple years before getting to the full-tilt new interior.

Last edited by Vettezuki : 02-14-2007 at 08:02 PM.