View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #56
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I'd probably suggest 4.11s for our application. What do you think?

Total boost 12-15psi with methanol injection

Weight, and I'm really guessing on this one is probably going to be something on the order of: 2,750 +- 150.
What gears depends a lot on the cam and how tall of a tire we use. With a light car like this and the amount of torque we are going to have down low with the roots blower I think something in the neighborhood of 3.73 to 4.11 with a 26 inch tall tire would be ideal if the engine makes power to 6000rpms. If Joe can remember what the redline was before it would help.

Quote:
I'd love to tare through a block with you. I've never done it so it'd be a fantastic learning experience. What would we be looking at and trying to cost effectively improve. I think Joe said it only had about 5,000 miles on it and it was all forged. Please clarify Joe.

Would we necessarily need to change the cam to be appropriate to the heads, or might the one that's in there work just fine.
We don't have specs for the cam but I'm assuming because he had it made for the E6 heads that it is going to have more lift and duration on the exhaust side which isn't a bad thing when it comes to SBF heads. He also had it made for the blower which we are still going to be using so it should work fine. I also don't think there is a need to go through the bottom end with only 5000 miles but it wouldn't hurt to pull a rod and main bearing just to make sure they look good.

Quote:
Cost is the controlling limiting factor. But I have *some* flexibility here because it's such a critical component to making reliable power. Let's think on the order of <=$1,000, preferably a lot less than
Did you speak to Sean about the PM I sent you? Heads are another option I can discuss with them. When I bought my AFRs they only cost me around $1200 new.