View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Does titanium not conduct heat like other metals?

I'll look into carbon fiber. Any idea who could make it for me?
Titanium conducts a lot less heat than a typical steel alloy does, but I wouldn't even know where to begin to get a bracket made in it. And I'm pretty sure it'd be crazy expensive. Carbotanium is only from Pagani AFIK.

Carbon fibre, perhaps unless hardened through autoclaving may not work so good because it tends to be very strong along its fibre axis, but brittle and prone to shattering at least when impacted from other directions. Maybe not a problem for a bracket, but I don't think it is typically used that way. Even on upper end cars, all that shit is machined billet aluminum AFIK. (Aluminum alloy conducts WAY MORE heat than steel alloy does.)

CF can be purchased and formed the same as you would for fiberglass. You build the object template you want to make, then the mold off the template, then "cast" the duplicate. There's actually a fair number of videos of Aaron doing this for the front bumper on the Snake.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)