View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #48

It's open! It's all open, every piece of road, I spent yesterday killing a tank of gas up there. I started in La Canada went to Wrightwood, then to Tajunga and ended up back in La Canada. Awesomeness! There are two temporary signals in use up on the crest, one where the mountain seems to be halfway on the road, and the other where the road seems to be halfway down the mountain, these two spots are down to one lane. I did see two CHP motorcycles up on the crest, one at the end of a very long straightaway, the other about a mile before(west) of the tunnels. Both times I was warned by a motorcycle rider going the other way. But the E55 in front of must not have known what it meant when the rider patted the top of his helmet, he floored it down the straight and got to have a meeting with the CHP officer. As far as road conditions, the new front side is smooth as a babys butt, stays that way on to the crest. After a while it goes back the the old pavement, but is still very clean. After passing Mt. Waterman I started seeing some road debris (rocks) not a lot of them but a few big ones, at one point I needed to be mostly in the other lane to avoid them. But these are all the charms of driving in the mountains, I had a great day and hope you guys and gals do too. Don't think I will be able to join you on the 12th.