Thread: Coilovers
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #13
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Not sure what American Club Racing is. But it is poor judgement to assume that just because some manufacturer produces something or some type of racing adapts a rule, that it is absolutely the correct thing to do.

As an example, Nascars have power steering. Does that mean that power steering is always best for racing? Obviously not.

A lower profile tire (street tires) will always provide less roll and better handling. Ideally for a road racer, you'll want the tire width to be less wide than the rim (I think 2" is ideal). But having a wider tire (assuming we're comparing two like tires) will always provide more grip, that's pretty basic. Now if we're talking about drag racing, you'll want a slightly smaller diameter rim for less sidewall stiffness and less consequent tire spin. Or if you're using wrinkle wall slicks you'll want the tire diameter to be much smaller, so that the sides of the tire can actually wrinkle and allow the tire to grip. But street tires aren't made like this.

I see some 17x10s in your future bro.
In a different thread it was proven that the ACR (American Club Racing) Dodge Viper basically rules all. Built for handling, road racing, performance. I was referring to the Dodge Neon SRT4 ACR.

http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showth...p?t=739&page=2

that's the thread to back it up. When a car with the ACR performance package puts out numbers like that against cars with those price tags I'll trust their specifications. Not that they can't be improved upon. IMO the tires should always fit the rims for best all around performance handling. I have no reason to run slicks all day. When going to the drag track putting on wider tires is beneficial, but thats not the basis i'm building my car on. 17x10 may have some trouble fitting correctly without fender modification. I'm trying to keep it simple. I've always been more of an autocrossing road racing fan than drag, hence the smaller diameter rims. I will agree 100% that WIDER is better (as long as it is the correct size tire for the rim), but not the diameter. That is completely subjective to the form of racing one prefers to partake in.

I understand the different benefits that one may see from different size tires and stretching and whatnot, I just don't agree with them. A tire should always fit the rim for the highest level of safety and performance. stretched tires don't do any benefit, if i'm going to run a 17x10 inch rim for road racing, i'm not going to try to fit a smaller width tire than what is recommended. likewise, i will not try to fit a larger width tire than is reasonable. it just doesn't make sense.

Sean, Pix comin up!

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!