View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #78
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Exactly, you are no where near an OE setup any more and skimping on valve train, as you have just learned personally is a recipe for disaster, anything more than 120lbs on a spring and you should have link bars, as well as anything over .550 lift. Like I said before "big" is relative. What makes a cam "big"? Lots of lift? Lots of duration? Don't skimp on the valve train.
I get your point, I guess it's relative. I'm beyond OE for sure, but pretty moderate compared to nutters. FTM my LS1 lifters (and rockers) look 100% fine. I'll bring it up again and make sure we're on the same page.

My primary failure was a rod bearing, that's what was making noise and best guess indicates a detonation precipitated the impending failure. Pulling it apart we discovered (so far) a broken ring and a chewed up cam. Previously it was an AM spring that popped. Unless I'm forgetting something, nothing OE in the valve train failed or even looks tired. It's not a lot of money difference, so that's not my concern here, but spending a few hundred dollars extra for nothing more than a little more valve train noise in reality doesn't appeal to me either.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)