Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to SexyLxy
Default Snow Driving Help - PLEASE!

So as you might know, Seanplunk and I are headed to yellowstone/grand tetons may 9-16. I have just checked the weather in hopes that it would be warming up from it's 26 degrees. Nope! Still snowing and still 26-35 degrees and that is forecasted until May 1 so far. I'll still keep those fingers crossed for warmer weather and no snow but I must prepare myself for the absolute worst.

So I need your help please. We are not snow goers. We don't like cold (so needless to say we're laughing BIG time inside b/c here we are thinking and hoping for 50-60 degree weather and no snow and what do we get, just the opposite) But we need any and all advice on the following please:
(there is only so much I can read and real life experinces will help me to understand)

1) What to do when you hit black ice?
2) What to do when you're in a snow bank (I've purchased chains and a very heavy tow strap per the advisement of autozone)
3) How do I put on snow chains/straps (I should probably read the directly before actually having to use them - but I don't want to open the chains up as the guy at auto zone said it's impossible to get them back in the box, and if I don't use them I will return them)
4) How do I use the tow strap? Lol what is it exactly used for? I know to help pull you out of a snow bank but I really need the technical side....
5) What kind of tools/equipment should I pack in the car should we get stuck since we're going to be In some rural areas?
6) Any other suggestions and advice are WELCOME!
Old 04-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
Boost Junkie

please tell me you're taking your car... is the edge awd/4wd?

chains go on the drive wheels or rear wheels if it's 4wd usually... lay the chains flat on the ground directly in front or behind the wheel its going on and roll the car over the chains and fasten tightly according to instructions.. 2 people really help.

if you hit black ice stay calm and don't over steer, you'll want to avoid "gassing it" I would simply take my foot of the gas and let the car gain traction again. Its not an easy thing to do and to be honest I've never had to deal with it. my parents have though.

if you're IN a snowbank you'll need that tow strap. Yah. you might try having Sean push the car out as hard as he can while giving it little bits of gas to ease it out a bit.. the chains will help however. Just make sure they're fitted correctly.

it's definitely a trick to get them back in the box but it's doable. I would recommend keeping them. it's always a handy thing to have doing any kind of winter mountain driving.

make sure you have an ice scraper available for your windsheild. that'll help if you get stuck in a snowbank and need to clear your ws. and hand warmers for Sean after he's done pushing you out of the snowbank.

I'll think of more stuff... i just about got stuck in Big Bear this season haha had to have some people help push me out. A SHOVEL. Bring a shovel. with a real handle on the end not just a damn pole.

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyLxy View Post
So as you might know, Seanplunk and I are headed to yellowstone/grand tetons may 9-16. I have just checked the weather in hopes that it would be warming up from it's 26 degrees. Nope! Still snowing and still 26-35 degrees and that is forecasted until May 1 so far. I'll still keep those fingers crossed for warmer weather and no snow but I must prepare myself for the absolute worst.

So I need your help please. We are not snow goers. We don't like cold (so needless to say we're laughing BIG time inside b/c here we are thinking and hoping for 50-60 degree weather and no snow and what do we get, just the opposite) But we need any and all advice on the following please:
(there is only so much I can read and real life experinces will help me to understand)

1) What to do when you hit black ice?
2) What to do when you're in a snow bank (I've purchased chains and a very heavy tow strap per the advisement of autozone)
3) How do I put on snow chains/straps (I should probably read the directly before actually having to use them - but I don't want to open the chains up as the guy at auto zone said it's impossible to get them back in the box, and if I don't use them I will return them)
4) How do I use the tow strap? Lol what is it exactly used for? I know to help pull you out of a snow bank but I really need the technical side....
5) What kind of tools/equipment should I pack in the car should we get stuck since we're going to be In some rural areas?
6) Any other suggestions and advice are WELCOME!
I think you're probably overreacting just a touch - relax a little
Old 04-24-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Bring heavy gloves. Skinning your hands in snow and ice putting chains on will be unpleasant.

Fill the car with gas at the last possible location. If you get stuck, you'll need it to run the heater, something like 10 minutes an hour.

Let somebody know the route you'll be taking and when you expect to get to your target destination. Confirm arrival.

Also, in case of getting stuck, have a blanket, some bottled water and snacks in the car.

Survival knife. You may have to eat Sean if you get stuck for more than a day or so.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
I think you're probably overreacting just a touch - relax a little
Hey better to be prepared then stuck stranded on some deserted road in the middle or nowhere - I don't see you traveling in snow very often and knowing how to get yourself out. I pray we don't have to use any of our supplies or techniques but ya never know bud. It's the female part of me coming out, and your male stubborness.

Thanks Tyler on all the tips! I had no clue about some of the stuff. Honestly, I've never driven in snow so that is why I'm asking a million questions.

Yup taking the EDGE, and no it's only 2WD. No point in 4wd for us but sure would be nice in a few weeks.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Bring heavy gloves. Skinning your hands in snow and ice putting chains on will be unpleasant.

Fill the car with gas at the last possible location. If you get stuck, you'll need it to run the heater, something like 10 minutes an hour.

Let somebody know the route you'll be taking and when you expect to get to your target destination. Confirm arrival.

Also, in case of getting stuck, have a blanket, some bottled water and snacks in the car.

Survival knife. You may have to eat Sean if you get stuck for more than a day or so.
Good thinking on the gloves. I'll make sure to put that in our kit. See Sean, something I don't have that I need to gather. I bet you didn't think of that along with the windshield scraper (Do you think a plastic putty knife would would as a windshield scrape? Trying to save money, and wouldn't have the slightest clue where to get one in spring). Crazy problem to have when the weather ranges from 60-100 in one week.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Neanderthal

Quote:

Good points Ben.

But, the roads to Yellowstone and in the park are WELL traveled. If something happens you will not be stranded for long.

Everything will go well Alexis. It is a very eay drive and the roads are great. You'll have a great time.

As Ben said, make sure you bring a knife so you can use Sean for food. You may want to fatten him up some before you leave.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 04-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
Good points Ben.

But, the roads to Yellowstone and in the park are WELL traveled. If something happens you will not be stranded for long.

Everything will go well Alexis. It is a very eay drive and the roads are great. You'll have a great time.

As Ben said, make sure you bring a knife so you can use Sean for food. You may want to fatten him up some before you leave.
You do make a good point Glen. I think it's the roads around the park that I might be worried about.

Ok ok ok, I'll relax a lil Sean. I'm just lil miss prepared, that is all
Old 04-24-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyLxy View Post
You do make a good point Glen. I think it's the roads around the park that I might be worried about.

Ok ok ok, I'll relax a lil Sean. I'm just lil miss prepared, that is all
Don't pay too much attention to Sean, you're right. It's purely logical. If you're prepared for all reasonable possibilities and nothing goes wrong, no big deal, and you had peace of mind. If you're not prepared and something goes wrong, you have unnecessarry stress. And while this enviornment is not thhaatt harsh, extreme weather can be life threatening very fast. Every year people die stuck in their car in snow drifts.

An alternative for a proper scrapper might just be a puddy knife. The difference is the scrapper has a long arm on it so you can clear the windshield without having to (dangerously) step onto the side of the vehicle, etc.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Don't pay too much attention to Sean, you're right. It's purely logical. If you're prepared for all reasonable possibilities and nothing goes wrong, no big deal, and you had peace of mind. If you're not prepared and something goes wrong, you have unnecessarry stress. And while this enviornment is not thhaatt harsh, extreme weather can be life threatening very fast. Every year people die stuck in their car in snow drifts.

An alternative for a proper scrapper might just be a puddy knife. The difference is the scrapper has a long arm on it so you can clear the windshield without having to (dangerously) step onto the side of the vehicle, etc.
agreed... i'd probably break a putty knife tryin to scrape ice though...

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!