Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Who wants to weld something for me?

My friend broke his ankle, leg and back this last week. We were installing an Explorer diff in his Ranger and I want to take it over this weekend and finish it up for him for obvious reasons.

Need to weld the perches and the shock mounts on the Explorer diff.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
My friend broke his ankle, leg and back this last week. We were installing an Explorer diff in his Ranger and I want to take it over this weekend and finish it up for him for obvious reasons.

Need to weld the perches and the shock mounts on the Explorer diff.
Your going to need someone to come out there to weld it because you need to have the axle installed and clamped down with U-bolts. Make sure you set the pinion angle correctly before the perches get welded. Since the axle came out of an Explorer it should already be centered if you use the spring under perches as a guide so you shouldn't have to worry about that but I would measure just to make sure. Once that's done you can weld the spring perches on.

Do you already have the new rear springs. How about the new shocks? Do you know how much travel there is so you can position the shock the way you want before you weld the lower shock mount on?
Old 10-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
Super Moderator

My plan is to do a dry fit, then spray paint white around the mounts and perches to make it obvious where they go.

Diff angle stock is 6 degrees. Not sure if I'll measure that out or angle it more to compensate for the lift.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

That's an aluminum diff right? And fairly thick to boot. You need someone A) who has the right welder, powerful enough to penetrate B) someone who is competent at using said welder to get good aluminum penetration. It's not really something you want an amateur taking a crack at.

I can recommend, without any reservation whatsoever, Chuck, the guy who fabbed and welded up the RX-Snake Blower. Don't know what he'd charge for this, but hit up bird and he can hook you up to get a quote at least.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
That's an aluminum diff right? And fairly thick to boot. You need someone A) who has the right welder, powerful enough to penetrate B) someone who is competent at using said welder to get good aluminum penetration. It's not really something you want an amateur taking a crack at.

I can recommend, without any reservation whatsoever, Chuck, the guy who fabbed and welded up the RX-Snake Blower. Don't know what he'd charge for this, but hit up bird and he can hook you up to get a quote at least.
No, it's a cast iron center section with steel tubes. The welding will be on the tubes. It's the same thing I did on the frontend of my Explorer.

Adam, if you can get it marked so you can position the perches in the exact spot they were in I'll weld them on for you if you can't find anyone else out by you. Just let me know.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
No, it's a cast iron center section with steel tubes. The welding will be on the tubes. It's the same thing I did on the frontend of my Explorer.

Adam, if you can get it marked so you can position the perches in the exact spot they were in I'll weld them on for you if you can't find anyone else out by you. Just let me know.
Really? Thanks man. If everything goes as planned I might hit you up this weekend. Might be able to get my welder buddy Matt to do it, but it's like pulling teeth with him, it would prob take him 2 months. And I'd like to get the truck driveable for my friend asap.

Ben, if there was an aluminum stout solid axle out there you'd see it underneath every Chevelle and Mustang at the track.