Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-22-2007, 04:38 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Neon took a sh*t again.

My buddy was drivng my car and it died, he said that it felt like it was running out of gas. I suspect the fuel pump. For some background, I just rebuilt the cylinder head on this car last month after the timing belt snapped causing all of the valves to smack the pistons. (BTW the belt was within the service interval, car has 79K and belt change is at 105K. A pulley siezed up causing too much friction on the belt.) The car was running great, better than ever and one month later, more trouble! A few months ago the shifter linkage took a sh*t too on this car and the car was stuck in 4th.

I bought this car as a reliable commuter, not a second project car. So far the Vette has proven to be way more reliable than the Neon. I don't think that I'll be buying any more 'fine' Mopar products in the future. Not sure if I still want to buy that Jeep now, although the diesel engine is a Mercedes engine...
Old 12-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

What's the deal with the lifetime power train warranty? Is that just for Dodge, or does it extend to other brands? FWIW, my Jeep has been pretty stout with its old AMC based four-banger; just not a lot to go wrong there.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-23-2007, 01:59 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I think that was only for new cars sold recently, and for a limited time. So we've found two good examples of Mopars, a Jeep with a Mercedes engine and a Jeep with an AMC engine. As long as it's not a Mopar powertrain we're golden.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette
I think that was only for new cars sold recently, and for a limited time. So we've found two good examples of Mopars, a Jeep with a Mercedes engine and a Jeep with an AMC engine. As long as it's not a Mopar powertrain we're golden.
Actually, as far as I know it's still in effect. The warranty does not cover SRT vehicles or diesels. It does cover the hemi vehicles though. The deal is that you have to take the car in for a free inspection every 5 years to keep the warranty going. It's actually a pretty cool thing.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Fuel pump is fine, O2 sensor wiring came undone and wrapped around the axle shaft, caused the wires to strip and ground out intermittently on the axle shaft. The O2 sensor shares the fuel pump fuse.

Lots of electrical tape, some zip ties and problem solved.

This also explains why my gas mileage wasn't as good as I remember. Without the O2 sensor the car defaults to rich AFR to be safe. Wonder why it didn't throw a code... Might not have had enough time since the cylinder head rebuild I guess.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:02 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

My brother (Death Cult Aaronmageddon), had a Neon that had what sounds like similar problems at similar mileage. I can't remember ultimately what it turned out to be. He might chime in when he gets a chance. The upshot is he traded it in at that point in its life.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-24-2007, 07:04 PM   #7
Progeny of the Great Apocolypse

Talking Good times

Yeah my car did that towards the end of its years with me. What my car was doing would feel like it was running out of gas. What it ended up being was the car was slipping it's timing belt and when it would do that it would put it self in limp mode. To the best of my knowledge limp mode cuts fuel to alternating cylinders to prevent a driver from damaging the engine. Now you have allready changed your belt but the problem could be similar if not the same issue. Good luck man.

Oh and MOPAR is by far the best, just so everyone knows.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Cult Aaronmageddon
. . . What my car was doing would feel like it was running out of gas. What it ended up being was the car was slipping it's timing belt and when it would do that it would put it self in limp mode. . . .Now you have allready changed your belt but the problem could be similar if not the same issue.
I'm not familiar with the timing belt on the Neon. Even if it was a new belt, how is it tensioned? If the tension is set with a manual tensioner, but that tensioner wasn't properly torqued down, maybe it came loose and the belt began to slip. Pure guessing here.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-25-2007, 02:14 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki
I'm not familiar with the timing belt on the Neon. Even if it was a new belt, how is it tensioned? If the tension is set with a manual tensioner, but that tensioner wasn't properly torqued down, maybe it came loose and the belt began to slip. Pure guessing here.
No no, I fixed the problem. It had to do with a short, not the timing. See above.

The timing belt is fine, I used thread locker on the idler pulley tensioner, and it took me four tries to get the tension just right, I wanted it perfect. And I got it perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Cult Aaronmageddon
Oh and MOPAR is by far the best, just so everyone knows.
And I hope that was sarcasm.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette
And I hope that was sarcasm.
Ruh roh . . . take cover.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)