Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Making Biodiesel

I'm seriously considering getting a diesel powered smaller SUV/CUB (Jeep Liberty, Trooper, etc.) and making my own biodiesel. I have easy access to fry oil and I'll have plenty of space to tinker with doing it. I don't mind working at it a bit, but I don't need another tedious job. Wonder how much work is really involved. Since I'll be in a basically rural area, I could store up fry oil to whatever number of gallons and process a bunch at one time and get some efficiency there.

Also, Guy what's the real deal with running biodiesel and engine life?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

This is interesting. Seems that if you go through the full proces of "wash, dry, and polish" the fuel is ready to use as is with no conversion in any diesel engine. Also, with glycerin as a byproduct I could make Gucci soaps!

http://www.officialbiodiesel.com/faq.htm

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #3

From what I know just clean it and add a bit of kerosene and you are ready to go.
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 11-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I'm seriously considering getting a diesel powered smaller SUV/CUB (Jeep Liberty, Trooper, etc.) and making my own biodiesel. I have easy access to fry oil and I'll have plenty of space to tinker with doing it. I don't mind working at it a bit, but I don't need another tedious job. Wonder how much work is really involved. Since I'll be in a basically rural area, I could store up fry oil to whatever number of gallons and process a bunch at one time and get some efficiency there.

Also, Guy what's the real deal with running biodiesel and engine life?
We use B99 in our test stand to calibrate the meter before they ship out. It's fairly nasty shit, corrodes the pump to the point of 6 month replacements whereas solvent we never lost a pump. Its also degrading to the gaskets, since its just for a few moments its fine but I would be weary of long term use. Whats odd is it breaks stuff down in a completely different way. Most fuels dry gaskets and other shit out. B99(which is essentially what you're referring to) tends to soak into gaskets and actually melt them. Viton, garloc, cork doesnt matter. The only thing that is doesnt effect is teflon. Also the meters that dispense b99 tend to have about a 30% the life of a standard fuel or diesel meter.

What things means for a truck I'm not sure. At the very least I would run stainless braided teflon fuel lines and have the tank made of SS. Also finding a way to eliminate any non teflon gaskets in the system. Pump hat, filler neck, eyc.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Here's what I got from the above site regarding processing to a certain standard and what's required in lines/fuel system.

Quote:
Is it SAFE to use BioDiesel in my Diesel Engine?

YES, Burning BioDiesel that meets the ASTM D-6751 specification in your vehicle is safe. There have been well over 45 million miles of real-world driving with B20 blends in a wide variety of engines, climates, and applications. Every year here in the USA millions more miles are being driven on BioDiesel.

Our belief is if you are careful & follow the common sense guidelines spelled out in our book, you can make BioDiesel which can meet or come close enough to the ASTM D-6751 specification. It is imperative that any fuel you burn (home made or commercially made) is well cleaned, dried & polished such as the ASTM specification requires. Following these guidelines prevents water or contaminates that can damage your injection pump & fuel injectors. That is why we recommend following the ASTM D-6751 standard.

We use BioDiesel during the warm weather months & a 1991 Dodge Cummins model B is our test vehicle which has burned B100 one summer & a blend of B30 - B50 the next two years without any ill effects or fuel related problems. We have not been burning B100 in the winter months because of potential gelling problems that could occur once the temperatures dip into the very low 40's.

BioDiesel can be used in any diesel engine, however we caution that since BioDiesel has excellent solvent characteristics it can soften old style rubber fuel lines. Early model diesel vehicles (mostly pre 1991) reportedly had Rubber Fuel Lines & o-rings which may eventually soften and leak because of this. Later model diesel vehicles from around 1993 and upward have synthetic Viton lined fuel lines & o-rings which are not affected. If yours is an early model such as ours, you may eventually need to replace your rubber fuel lines & o-rings with the newer Viton type. We had not seen this problem on our vehicle because it did have Viton lined fuel hoses. We did not know that & had Viton fuel hose on hand & ready to be installed in case it did become a problem. Later we removed our rubber lines & inspected them, then found out they were OEM original & actually had Viton linings! Did you know now that ULSD S-15 has been introduced here in the USA you may have to get Viton fuel components anyway because it can cause problems with older o-rings & fuel lines as well so may have to change them out anyway. You may as well make and burn your own cheap BioDiesel fuel.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

From a madscientist POV I'm interestd in doing this, from a save time and labor while dropping fuel cost given I'll be putting on real miles now, the CNG conversion with eventual home filler (<$1 gas energy equivalent) is the "smart" way to go. . .

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Here's what I got from the above site regarding processing to a certain standard and what's required in lines/fuel system.
I noticed they said the viton isnt effected. Which may be the case with b20. But b99 and b100 will both eat through viton as well.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
I noticed they said the viton isnt effected. Which may be the case with b20. But b99 and b100 will both eat through viton as well.
A little research indicates that >50% of B100 samples in the market do not meet ASTM D6751 standards. Could be related to your experience.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)